Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How are you replicating a dropped call? Faraday cage?

Regardless this a thread for people experiencing this issue. I'm glad you don't have the problem but it doesn't appear you have anything to contribute to the solution.

No, wrapping aluminum foil around a cell phone works well.

Actually it seems that the people "experiencing" this issue might want all the help they can get, so I though i would see if I could replicate the problem. As it appears you are the representative voice of the moderators of MacRumors on who is helpful and who is not helpful, based on your feedback, I will bow out trying to help.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island

Good idea with the tinfoil I'll remove it from my baseball cap and try that:).

I always thought it was odd to drop a call and be presented with that screen while unlocked that would be super frustrating to have it while locked and be forced to redial the dropped number!

Has anyone reported this to apple?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Interesting now that you mention it I only *remember* experiencing this when I'm on Bluetooth and the phone is plugged in. Too many variables.

After reading the link posted above re: the person that commented of the same issue. I'm not certain though, but I've been thinking, that maybe bluetooth is the culprit. When a call disconnects, a "call failure" does exists whenever I'm on bluetooth via a car feature I have, I'm not sure if it happens when I'm not on bluetooth. I don't know how I can replicate a forced dropped call via bluetooth and one without the use of it to be certain.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Actually it seems that the people "experiencing" this issue might want all the help they can get, so I though i would see if I could replicate the problem. As it appears you are the representative voice of the moderators of MacRumors on who is helpful and who is not helpful, based on your feedback, I will bow out trying to help.

Hmm? I'm not a moderator obviously nor a voice for others in this thread (even though I am a person experiencing the issue) sorry if I came off snarky.

However I can say with great confidence someone repeatedly saying they don't have the problem is little to no help. Thanks for bowing out.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
However I can say with great confidence someone repeatedly saying they don't have the problem is little to no help. Thanks for bowing out.

for most practical purposes, I somewhat agree with this comment.

However, If enough people make the "mine's working OK" comment, and actually provide details, i.e. specific phone, ios version, carrier, etc. , those details can help assist in isolating a problem.

----------

It wasn't always like that. It used to give you a callback button at one time. Doing anything else would continue normal phone operation without calling back. I can't remember if that was iOS 6 or what but I feel I've only had this issue just recently.

I have an iPhone 5 on ATT running ios 6.1.2.

When I experience a call drop, I am presented with a red and green button on the screen. One to call back and the other to cancel.

I have never experienced an automatic call back, either with screen locking enabled or disabled.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
for most practical purposes, I somewhat agree with this comment.

However, If enough people make the "mine's working OK" comment, and actually provide details, i.e. specific phone, ios version, carrier, etc. , those details can help assist in isolating a problem.

----------

I have an iPhone 5 on ATT running ios 6.1.2.

When I experience a call drop, I am presented with a red and green button on the screen. One to call back and the other to cancel.

I have never experienced an automatic call back, either with screen locking enabled or disabled.

I still get that too on 7.1.1 at times. I was not on Bluetooth and the phone wasn't locked yet (have it set to passcode lock after 5 minutes).

However I never remembered have this issue on anything prior to 7.1.1. I don't know if that means the circumstances requires never happened for if the issue just didn't exist.

I wish it was a bit easier to replicate. I actually just tried tin foil like mentioned above but my phone still works even wrapped like a sandwich with foil (Bluetooth headset use). Same with metal tape too (didn't peal the backing off for obvious reasons).

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Hmm? I'm not a moderator obviously nor a voice for others in this thread (even though I am a person experiencing the issue) sorry if I came off snarky.

There's this hill I live closely which always disconnects my calls; so tomorrow, I'm going to make a call before I drive towards it to see if this call failure is link to bluetooth. Then, on the way back, I'll make a call without the use of bluetooth and set it to speaker phone to see if call failure is displayed. I'll post once I figure it out.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Interesting now that you mention it I only *remember* experiencing this when I'm on Bluetooth and the phone is plugged in. Too many variables.

So I was fortunate last night to talk to someone on my iPhone without the use of bluetooth, and the call dropped due to 1-2 bars. "Call Failure" appeared. It's got to be Sprint or something in iOS. I had to return the call to get rid of the Call Failure feature, otherwise it would re-dial if I had to make a call later that night, so frustrated with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.