Called ATT Business Unit twice: FAN Doesn't work for iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Jul 14, 2008.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

Called twice and one double checked with her manager. Neither the first generation nor the second generation gets service discounts for FAN. I don't know if this is new, but that's what she said.

She originally thought it did, but after double checking, she said no.

2. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I was told over the phone and in the store that the FAN would be applied for the voice/data plans but not the phone itself. I'll cancel my order when I show up for my pre-order if that's true.

3. djwobble macrumors regular

Try activating your discount through AT&T's website. :) veryify your work email adress..

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

"The discount offer is not available for iPhones, but has now been extended to service plans for the new iPhone 3G. You can register for the discount on iPhone 3G wireless services when purchasing the device at AT&T retail stores beginning July 11th."

From my FAN Description... I suspect either your organization deliberately do not allow iphones 3g in the FAN discount or the CSR and her manager is just slow....

BUT bear in mind that the FAN discount is only applicable for SERVICE discount (a.k.a PLAN) and NOT the DEVICE... You will still have to pay $199/$299 for the device :)

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That is absolutely true. There are no discounts on hardware. The discount is applied to the voice/data plans.

6. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Good, then I guess I'll be getting an iPhone after all. :)

7. brinycbri thread starter macrumors 6502a

has anyone called recently to confirm? man, it's unbelievable that there's not communication over there. im' sure they are getting these questions constantly

8. jonboy71 macrumors newbie

What is the typical FAN discount? I just registered, but it doesn't tell you what your discount is.

9. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I think it varies on the company. Believe mine is 25%.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It all depends on what your company/university has set up for it. You'll see what your discount is when you sign in to your ATT account, and select "Rate Plan & Features". It will say on the right hand side.

As for the FAN not applying to the iPhone, it definitely DOES apply to it. As mentioned, it does not discount the cost of the phone as the phone is already subsidized. The FAN discounts apply to the plan/service. That's it.

Perhaps a FAQ should be put together and stickied, so questions like this can be put to bed once and for all.

BL.

11. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

just activated the fan discount through the website. It said I qualify from my job. It should show up on the account in 1 to 2 days.

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

What if you already have 20% discount on Voice with ATT for having service bundles with them? (home phone, DSL, long distance, cell)

Would it be pointless to add FAN to my account if it's only the same 20% with my company, as I'm guessing you can only have one discount at a time, right?

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm not sure how it would apply to bundles like that, if it does at all. I have ATT U-verse, but kept the cell phones separate, so it totally depends. You may have to give them a call to find out.

BL.

14. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I removed mine on Friday because I wanted to buy the phone at an Apple store on Saturday, so I'm going to call back later today and put it back on. I'll post here with my results.

15. shyrock macrumors newbie

for those who claim that it works, did you actually get some kind of documentation (i.e some kind of summary breakdown of your monthly bill-not just an email or i spoke to a representative)?

Anyone who bought from ATT request this printout to verify? I'll pretty much believe it when I see it/people actually verify it on their bills.

I also read/heard that the discount is dependent on the terms and conditions of the company in which you receive your discount; therefore, it appears that discounts will vary depending on your company. Some will qualify, and some will not (i.e. some have discounts on voice only, some have voice+data).

EDIT: from ATT Premier website(see below):

"The Service Discount is the monthly discount you receive on qualified rate plans and is available to you as a benefit of your organization's qualified business agreement with AT&T. In order to receive this benefit, you must be a qualified employee or otherwise eligible to participate in your organization's program.

Your Service Discount
    You can view your Service Discount on the Current Offers page. You will see the discount represented as a percentage if your organization's discount is fixed. If your organization's Service Discount fluctuates from month to month, no discount percentage will be displayed. Instead you'll see a message indicating your Service Discount is determined monthly. Even if the discount percentage is not displayed on Premier, rest assured that you will receive the full Service Discount available to you. Please note: No discount will be displayed if your organization does not have a Service Discount.

To Which Charges Does My Service Discount Apply?
    The charges to which your Service Discount applies are subject to the arrangement between your organization and AT&T. Typically, the Service Discount is applied to the Monthly Service Charge on most voice and data rate plans. Note: On FamilyTalk plans, only the Primary Line will receive the discount under eligible Agreements; additional Lines do not receive the Service Discount. For questions about the specific discount available to you, contact the appropriate department within your organization responsible for wireless program administration... "

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

If you had a FAN discount before the original iPhone, and it still shows up when you go to the AT&T website, should it automatically apply now with the new iPhone? Or will I have to call and have them activate it or something again.

17. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Just called them. They added the FAN discount back to the account, no problem.

EDIT: It's already up on my account.

18. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

FAN does work

I went on 7/11 to a Apple store and they could not sell me the phone because of my discount. I called 611 while I was in the store had it removed, bought the phone and went home happy. Later that day I went to a at&t store had it put back on. 19% will be taken off my voice plan every month which for me is $15.20 so I got the 3G upgrade service and texting charge for free.:D

19. mctrees02 macrumors member

So I'm going to have to have my FAN # removed if I'm to get a phone at an Apple Store? Sorry if I'm late to the party on this question.

20. SqB macrumors 6502

FAN Discount on hardware

I think that the ban on the FAN for the actual hardware will probably only be temporary. Every other phone ATT sells is subsidized and I still get a discount of 24% on all those. There's just no discount right now because they're still hot. In a few months to a year when everybody who "had to have it" already has one and they're sitting on the shelves in the ATT store right next to the nokias and the moto's, they'll be discounted.

Ok, maybe two years, but eventually...not saying I'm going to wait that long.

21. mctrees02 macrumors member

I don't think they ever allowed your FAN discount to apply to the first iPhone.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It isn't even temporary. The FAN discount has always been there, but just didn't apply to previous versions of the iPhone because the data plan was sold separately, and the phone was unsubsidized. Now that the phone is subsidized and the data plan included in the service, discounts apply.

If you want to get it at the Apple Store, yes. Afterwards, you can have ATT add the FAN discount back, and you're set.

BL.

23. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i just signed up for service with at&t when i got my iphone on friday. they had no problem adding my fan discount number. ive called at&t twice just to make sure it was added and sure enough it was.

24. shyrock macrumors newbie

My biggest concern is if people are getting a discount on the DATA PLAN (single line or family plan) I am pretty sure the discount will apply to the Voice plan on the primary line.

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes Ive confirmed with them twice and have email confirmation