calling all macbook unibody's temperatures...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pleasurejunky, May 21, 2009.

1. pleasurejunky macrumors newbie

Hello,
    So I know there are a few other discussions regarding this subject but none of them are providing me with the info I'm looking for. I am looking to get a few responses on other MacBook Unibody's (Pros welcome too) temperatures when running intense programs (games, video conversion, etc.).
    So here's why I am concerned. When running VisualHub in particular, my fans and temp go up absurdly. According to iStat, my fans are over 6000 rpm and my CPU temp hit 92c the other day. I shut it down bc I was having visions of my MB melting in front of me. I have even gone as far as propping up the back to allow for more air flow but that hasn't made any difference as long as I use pretty much any video conversion apps. Games (like Spore) make it hot, but not like this.
    I can find links to the previous MacBooks temps (which I had and this was never a problem) but nothing on the Unibody's. So please everyone, do share. Please include what apps you were running or if your MB's ever shut down from overheating. Thanks!

PS This was originally posted on Apple's discussion page...and they deleted it 3x on me!! Hmmmm.....

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. pleasurejunky thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. This is my 5th Apple laptop and I have never seen temps that high.

And with all do respect, I didn't ask if it was OK, I asked for other people to post their temps.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The new ones run hotter before the fans spin up.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I get 85-88° C on my Macbook Late 2007 at full load.

I've done my own tests on the MacBook Late 2008 and the fans stick at their idle speed of 2000 RPM at full load until the processor sensor reports 95-98° C.

The fans then spin up to their maximum of 6200 RPM and it then sticks around +85° C.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I used to see 90C all the time on my White MacBook until I installed Coolbook. Now it tops out at around 83C. If you search the forums you will see that these temps are quite normal (although maybe yours are a tad on the high side) for a MacBook going full tilt. The CPU will shutdown when it hits 100C so there is room for error.

7. pleasurejunky thread starter macrumors newbie

These posts def make me feel a bit better, going to check out that CoolBook app for sure. Any thoughts on Anti-Virus programs having anything to do with this? I'm running NAV and ClamXav which I previously never used.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Only if they're using CPU time.

Please don't run both simultaneously.

9. pleasurejunky thread starter macrumors newbie

10. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Are those temps normal for most C2D-based laptops?

Absolutely not.

Are those temperatures normal for Apple's C2D-based laptops?

Unfortunately, yes.

Apple's laptops are form-over-function, and the cooling is almost always woefully inadequate. As a result, it is not uncommon to see temperatures exceeding 70 or even 80C under load. Unfortunately, Apple considers this to be normal despite the severe reduction in component lifespan (not to mention user comfort) that it causes.

There's really not that much to be done about it. You can undervolt your processor (which should help reduce peak temperatures) and force your fans to run faster (using Fan Control or similar software), but as long as Apple keeps prioritizing style over cooling you don't have many more options.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I run ClamXav. It doesn't use much CPU unless its doing a directory scan.

12. pleasurejunky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ppc750fx, I think you have nailed it. Weird because Apple has spent so much money/resources into cooling systems (so I've read) and yet the result isn't very good. I'm going to keep a more active eye on my Activity Monitor and see if anything else is using up my processor.

Thanks everyone for your input :)

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Unfortunately. That's one of the major downsides to having a mac, next to the rotten flash performance, in my eyes.

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'm not sure they have. I can't seriously believe that Lenovo/IBM can make a laptop with a smaller form factor than the MacBook and a CPU that peaks at 60C or so, yet Apple (who have an equally-large R&D budget) can't seem to design one that idles below 50C...

I think it's really just a question of priorities and planned obsolescence. The Apple of today would rather make a machine that looks good but doesn't last long after its warranty expires than a machine that's built to be as durable and reliable as possible. As someone whose first Mac was a IIci (which I used right up through 2001), I find this change in strategy rather irksome -- especially considering that they've kept the price premium...

15. BeauGiles macrumors member

Err, not under load, but not totally idling either; running at 54° C, sitting on a cold tiled floor, with AirPort on and surfing the internet - plugged in and charging.

Usually idles at ~50° C, will check next time I'm encoding/transcoding something :)

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

been using it on my bed for the past hour, just surfing and iTunes though:

Attached Files:

17. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

here is my unibody, running that test for 3 minutes as you can see. The temperatures peaked at about 1 minute into the test

the macbook is just sitting on my desk, not in the fridge or anything silly like that!

[​IMG]

18. mickeytosh macrumors newbie

hey could you be kind enough to post your coolbook voltage settings?
    would really appreciate it

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Here you go:

Attached Files:

20. keith1569 macrumors newbie

hmm coolbook seems like a sweet program..i might have to try that out

21. handydandy macrumors newbie

22. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

In my experience, it does everything that's listed on the page that's linked as the first result in Google for the term "coolbook".

23. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Hmmm, I have 3 laptops my Dell and HP run so hot they burn my legs when I truly have them in my lap, My Mac has never done this.

At work I have an older Dell that melted the stickers off the bottom of the computer.

24. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Mine idles at about 42-45. Under load it hits the 70's but then the fan ramps up. The hottest I've ever seen this thing go was 76c. I just use SMC Fan Control and ramp the fan up to 5300 when I'm playing a game (Assassins Creed or L4D) and even then it stays in the low 70's. This I would consider cool for a MacBook.

You'd think apple would have figured out how to cool a CPU after struggling with the G5's for so long. Either way, don't worry about it... you have a warranty that has you covered... so just use it and stop watching the temperature. :D