Camera bag/travelling

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rayjay86, Jul 25, 2012.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Just looking for an opinion on new carrying cases. I have three lenses (70-300, 10-20mm, 35mm) in my arsenal and a D5000.

I also travel/shoot with my iPad nearby (stores images, travel books, internet access, etc.) but the iPad has no place in the slingshot bag I have so I often have to carry it in my hands or leave it at home.

Anyone know of any workarounds? Lens pouches that provide protection, DSLR body pouches, etc.? Are the lowepro pouches going to give me good protection? I'm not going rock climbing, but just in case the occasional bumps, etc. I've got about $1000 worth of glass.

I'm asking because I'm buying a new trekking bag that comes with a detachable daypack. It has a sleeve for a small laptop (or iPad) but I'm not sure how to carry my camera in it. It's a 20L daypack so it'll fit camera and lenses comfortably.

2. ckseid macrumors newbie

Take a look at this brand...http://www.thinktankphoto.com...it is quite popular these days...for a good reason, they make great stuff! I just bought a Retrospective 7 (pinestone color) for my trip thru Europe, travel and sight-seeing...fit 3 lens (14-24, 24-70 and 70-200) and my D700. The size is just right , the extra slot for your iPad is perfect size. It is a side-bag though, so, after a while it does dig a little into your shoulder. But your D5000 and lens are pretty light weight...so you should be okay. The retrospective 5 might be a better fit for your camera, but the iPad might not fit.

3. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

If I was in the market for needing one (not right now) I'd definitely get one of these.
    http://www.scottevest.com/company/transformer_jacket_mini_site.shtml

My everyday camera bag is a Tamrac Pro 5. I prefer taller to wider, it slings over my shoulder or across my neck for hours of carrying. I can cram a lot inside it in a pinch (approx. 2 bodies, 3 short lenses, 2 speedlights worth). The nice thing about being packed tight is nothing jostles. ;) And yes it will take an iPad.

4. afroAnt macrumors regular

Retrospective 7 or Retrospective 5.
    Great Bags! I'll be picking up a Retrospective 7.

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I have a Lowepro Nova 5 AW, and I travel a lot (~2.5-3 months per year) . It is a very sturdy bag and I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's perhaps not the prettiest bag, but it is very well padded and is easy to open and close.

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, those Lowepro pouches and lens cases offer great protection. I have a whole collection of them for just the purpose you are describing. They allow for modular storage in backpacks made for real trekking (i.e. overnight backpacking trips that necessitate carrying a lot of survival items). The only downside is that your camera and lenses will not be as accessible as they would be with a regular camera backpack.

I also like to travel with my iPad, and I have a similar solution for it: a hard-shell, foam padded slip case that will hold the iPad in its regular cover and case (yes a case for the case!). The one I have is the Kroo Carbon Fiber EVA case, which was actually made to hold an iPad 1 but perfectly fits an iPad 3 with Smart Cover and back shell attached. I got mine used on Amazon for $3. Here is a photo (not mine) of the case: link. I'm sure there are similar cases on the market from other brands. At any rate, it enables me to throw the iPad into any bag, knowing it will be highly protected. I regularly carry it around in the outside pocket of my Lowepro Flipside 400AW, a pocket that would not protect the iPad on its own.

7. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That's what I was trying to get at. Sorry to all if I wasn't that clear. The new trekking bag I have comes with a detachable daypack so rather than buy yet ANOTHER bag I was hoping to capitalize on the 20L capacity of that bag. I'll give the lowepro lens pouches a go for now I think.

Slightly off topic: what is everyone's opinion on trading/selling my Nikkor 70-300mm VR and Signa 10-20mm and buying a Nikkor 18-200mm VR II? Sometimes I just he frustrated with changing glass in the field (not to mention the inherent hazards of exposing the sensor, etc.

8. jammiefreerider, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

jammiefreerider macrumors regular

Dakine packs are try under rated in the photog world. They're indestructable and reliable but also there winning feature is the (no sure what to call it) merging of the shoulder straps before the join with the main pack area. That feature makes it more comfortable to wear and makes the straps seems stronger. (edit: seems to only be on the Quest and Mission Photo packs ) Plus theres a multitude of pockets within pockets. I shoot a lot in snow so not having to put the pack down to get the camera out thanks to the back/side access panels makes a huge difference for me.

9. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

18-200mm is a great lens, not the best one optically, but its flexibility is unmatched for practical purposes. That said, it really does not replace the 10-20mm lens you have, as it's only 18mm on the wide end. If you make a lot of shots at 10mm you will miss it.

10. pna macrumors 6502

Well, if you're like me, you'll love the 18-200 and marvel at how it frees you up to just grab your camera and go, and focus on shooting rather than on changing lenses, and wonder how you ever got along without it. And then time will pass and you'll start to wish you could get your shots just a bit wider... and be tempted by something like a dedicated wide angle like the sigma you already have, or a nikon 12-24 or one of the tokinas. And you'll probably start to feel like the image quality is soft at the extremes, and wonder if you had something like the 70-300 if that would give you higher quality images. And if you don't have them already, you'll probably start to wonder why you got rid of them, and start looking to pick up copies used, and so on.

I feel like I go in phases in my photography, and every time I pick up a different lens I find something to appreciate about it, and interesting to do with it. And then after a time I'll start to gravitate back towards another piece of equipment to experiment with. You can get fantastic shots with all of them if you know what you're doing, and that's really the bottom line thing to remember. Depending on what you're doing, you'd probably be happy with the 18-200. And in time, you'll probably want to try out something else as well. In other words, if you can swing it, it's a nice lens to have around for when you'd... like to have that kind of lens around.

I've since given that lens to my brother, and haven't missed it a ton, though I used it on a second body when I was in South Africa and appreciated the versatility in a few different situations. At this point I generally shoot with primes, or primes on my smaller NEX-5n, or pull out the steeply discounted used 80-200/2.8 AF-S I bought off of a retiring photographer on craigslist when I want a zoom.

Also, I've often been tempted by the 16-85. From my reading, many seem to consider its IQ to be higher than the 18-200 for the same range. 85 might very well be zoom enough for me if I were to crop in a pinch, and the extra 2 mm at the wide end I think might be enough to satisfy my wide angle cravings as well.It might be of interest to you as well.

I realize that this bit of rambling is likely not helpful, unfortunately.

11. odagled2004 macrumors newbie

I love my 70-300mm VR! The 18-200mm VR is really convenient, but I feel like there must be compromises for that convenience. If you really need that One Lens to Rule Them All, then possibly get the 18-300mm VR?

12. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I picked up my second Think Tank last fall ... the Urban Disguise 50. This was primarily to be my carry-on bag with my core camera kit (and laptop, on some trips) on the commercial flights, for which it does well.

It isn't really a bag that I'd consider slinging as a day bag to carry it around town, though...its bulletproof construction makes it a tad heavy.

-hh

13. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

That's actually a good point: I mainly use the Nova 5 AW to store my gear and transport it from A to B. But usually I pack some lenses in my backpack, sling the body around my shoulder and go explore. Last time I checked, the bag weighs about 6~7 kg with all my gear in it, so it's definitely not something I want to carry around everywhere I go.

14. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I usually buy crumpler bags. It's mainly because they come in more colors than black and generally look less like a camera bag than a normal camera bag.

15. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

That's nothing! My second Think Tank is a large carry-on roll aboard for my underwater camera rig ... I put it on the scale before my last trip and it tipped the scales at 13kg. Had to smile and not grimace while lifting it into overhead bins, down/up the aircraft's staircase, etc.

-hh

16. mustang_dvs, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

My 'everyday' kit is a Domke FX5B, into which I can toss a 1D Mark III and a pair of lenses (generally a 50mm and the 28-135 F/3.5-5.6).

My 'journo' kit is a pair of Domke J2's. (One for Canon digital, one for Nikon film; each can hold 2 bodies, 2 speedlites and 5-6 lenses + an iPad/laptop)

My 'location' kit is a Tamrac Expedition 7.

My medium format kit is a Pelican 1550.

For the company cameras (2 Nikon DX bodies and a couple of lenses), I've got a medium Timbuk2 Snoop, since it'll blend in with all the other bags at most on-campus events.

Attached Files:

17. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

OP - do you want to carry your bag over your shoulder or on your back?

18. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I use the timbuk2 snoop in medium. I take out the dividers though and keep the padded insert in there to house my gear.

19. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

What company do you work for if you don't mind me asking? I am local to you in Morrisville.

20. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Duke

I'm not a photographer, according to my job description. I'm a senior staff member who gets roped into taking pictures, from time to time.

21. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Try over 100lbs.

[​IMG]

:D

22. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I know you said traveling nearby but if abroad or large cities, you should consider a stealth bag meaning something that doesn't scream "Hey! Rob me, I have expensive camera equipment here!" You can buy inserts that fit in many messenger bags or backpacks, allowing you to use a plain-looking bag. Also buy a new strap that has cable or metal mesh webbing to stop slash & grabs. I personally like to keep my profile low-key as possible unless I'm on a paid shoot or need to blend in with the press photogs.

23. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For most of our domestic and international trips, we use Lowepro proroller A200 bags to get our camera bodies and lenses there and back. On our last trip to South Africa (got back the 3rd of July) we rolled our bags to the vehicle every morning, loaded our storage boxes (built into the seat benches) with 2 bodies, 3 or 4 lenses, TCs, and a flash. And rolling those through Atlanta, Heathrow and Johannesburg airports beats the heck of our carrying the equipment. The front pocket can carry a 15" laptop.

We only do backpacks when we are hiking from our home or our vehicle.

24. tmagman macrumors 6502

Kata 3N1-22. Great walking bag that can be either a sling or backpack, with the right sized pouch for my ipad. I fit my 7D with battery grip and 15-85 on it, plus 4 more lenses, flash, and everything else in it no problem. Highly recommended