Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Both Apple and Google came out with new high-end flagship smartphones this autumn, debuting the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro, respectively. As with any expensive smartphone, the cameras in both produce amazing images, but there are some notable differences that can be seen in our comparison video and article.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max has a triple-lens camera system with 48-megapixel Main (wide) camera that can be set to three focal lengths, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 12-megapixel Telephoto lens that supports up to 5x optical zoom. The Pixel 8 Pro also has a triple-lens camera system with 50-megapixel Wide camera, a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 48-megapixel Telephoto camera also with 5x optical zoom.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-3.jpg

The Google and Apple camera systems have similarities in available lenses and technologies like portrait mode, night mode, HDR, and more, but there are different software algorithms that are at work under the hood, and that's what brings in some of the biggest differences that we're seeing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-9.jpg

When it comes to landscape images that show a lot of sky, the iPhone 15 Pro Max looks more natural. The colors are more accurate and the differences between sky and cloud are more pronounced for an overall better looking image. The Pixel 8 Pro trends toward a more blue tint for sky images, and it also has a tendency to overexpose in some shots. You'll also notice that the Pixel photos tend to be brighter, while the iPhone photos are downright moody.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-10.jpg

There are definite themes to color temperature, saturation, exposure, and other factors. Several of the iPhone 15 Pro Max images feel oversaturated compared to the Pixel 8 Pro, with Apple giving deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, while Google's images have a brighter feel with contrast bumped down. In the taxi image, for example, the cars were not that shade of yellow that Apple produced, but both images look good and choosing a favorite will depend on whether you prefer images that are more saturated or brighter.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-11.jpg

Apple's 5x Telephoto lens is limited to 12 megapixels and it does not have the wide aperture of the Main lens, so it should not be a surprise that the images that come out of it look different in terms of sharpness and saturation. 5x images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro look similar in most instances, but the Pixel 8 Pro seems to have more pronounced textures because the images are brighter with the contrast bumped up a bit more than what we're getting with the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-15.jpg

Apple's 5x zoom lens has an edge when it comes to portrait mode because it can capture 5x portraits, while the Pixel is limited to 2x portraits. The iPhone really wins out in terms of background blur, and even in portraits with other lenses, Apple is doing better with color, skin tone, and blur. The Pixel's portrait images sometimes come out better in situations with lower light.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-18.jpg

As for night shots, iPhones have always been a bit ahead in terms of a natural look, and that hasn't changed. The nighttime images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max are more true to life, while the Pixel 8 Pro is much brighter and doesn't have the same nighttime mood.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-16.jpg

Apple's video stabilization has always been tough to beat, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max produces better video than you get with the Pixel 8 Pro. Google has caught up somewhat with its latest smartphones, but Apple remains a step ahead. For pros, Apple also has an option for ProRes Log recording, so you can record a flat image that can be used with custom LUTs in post-processing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-22.jpg

Google has added some fun AI features to its camera that Apple can't compete with. Best Take, for example, sorts through multiple group photos that have been captured and finds the best shot. You can go change each person's face, swapping in from another in the series so that each person is smiling and looking at the camera. Magic Editor lets you erase objects in an image and uses generative AI to fill in the blank spot, and the Audio Magic Eraser can pull out unwanted sounds.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-27.jpg

Which images do you prefer? iPhone 15 Pro Max or Pixel 8 Pro? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Camera Comparison: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. Pixel 8 Pro

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
Geez, maybe it's the crappy monitor I'm using, but both sets look bad to me. The iPhone's are oversaturated and dark and the Pixel's are too bright. If I had to pick, though, based on this sample the Pixel's look better (except for One World Trade Center -- that's awful).

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Don't know if it's the settings, but the black point seems elevated on all the Pixel shots, leaving them looking washed out from a lack of contrast. It's hard to believe it would look like that by default. And the iPhone shots look a little too dark and contrasty, although I'd prefer that in most cases if I had to choose.

Lamborrari

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
How about 3x and 4x shots? I’ve always been wondering how Google’s computational photography with Super Res Zoom stacks up to Apple’s lack of desire to address the zoom gap between the 1x wide-angle camera and the 5x telephoto of the 15 Pro Max.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004

Both Apple and Google came out with new high-end flagship smartphones this autumn, debuting the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro, respectively. As with any expensive smartphone, the cameras in both produce amazing images, but there are some notable differences that can be seen in our comparison video and article.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max has a triple-lens camera system with 48-megapixel Main (wide) camera that can be set to three focal lengths, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 12-megapixel Telephoto lens that supports up to 5x optical zoom. The Pixel 8 Pro also has a triple-lens camera system with 50-megapixel Wide camera, a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 48-megapixel Telephoto camera also with 5x optical zoom.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-3.jpg

The Google and Apple camera systems have similarities in available lenses and technologies like portrait mode, night mode, HDR, and more, but there are different software algorithms that are at work under the hood, and that's what brings in some of the biggest differences that we're seeing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-9.jpg

When it comes to landscape images that show a lot of sky, the iPhone 15 Pro Max looks more natural. The colors are more accurate and the differences between sky and cloud are more pronounced for an overall better looking image. The Pixel 8 Pro trends toward a more blue tint for sky images, and it also has a tendency to overexpose in some shots. You'll also notice that the Pixel photos tend to be brighter, while the iPhone photos are downright moody.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-10.jpg

There are definite themes to color temperature, saturation, exposure, and other factors. Several of the iPhone 15 Pro Max images feel oversaturated compared to the Pixel 8 Pro, with Apple giving deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, while Google's images have a brighter feel with contrast bumped down. In the taxi image, for example, the cars were not that shade of yellow that Apple produced, but both images look good and choosing a favorite will depend on whether you prefer images that are more saturated or brighter.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-11.jpg

Apple's 5x Telephoto lens is limited to 12 megapixels and it does not have the wide aperture of the Main lens, so it should not be a surprise that the images that come out of it look different in terms of sharpness and saturation. 5x images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro look similar in most instances, but the Pixel 8 Pro seems to have more pronounced textures because the images are brighter with the contrast bumped up a bit more than what we're getting with the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-15.jpg

Apple's 5x zoom lens has an edge when it comes to portrait mode because it can capture 5x portraits, while the Pixel is limited to 2x portraits. The iPhone really wins out in terms of background blur, and even in portraits with other lenses, Apple is doing better with color, skin tone, and blur. The Pixel's portrait images sometimes come out better in situations with lower light.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-18.jpg

As for night shots, iPhones have always been a bit ahead in terms of a natural look, and that hasn't changed. The nighttime images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max are more true to life, while the Pixel 8 Pro is much brighter and doesn't have the same nighttime mood.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-16.jpg

Apple's video stabilization has always been tough to beat, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max produces better video than you get with the Pixel 8 Pro. Google has caught up somewhat with its latest smartphones, but Apple remains a step ahead. For pros, Apple also has an option for ProRes Log recording, so you can record a flat image that can be used with custom LUTs in post-processing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-22.jpg

Google has added some fun AI features to its camera that Apple can't compete with. Best Take, for example, sorts through multiple group photos that have been captured and finds the best shot. You can go change each person's face, swapping in from another in the series so that each person is smiling and looking at the camera. Magic Editor lets you erase objects in an image and uses generative AI to fill in the blank spot, and the Audio Magic Eraser can pull out unwanted sounds.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-27.jpg

Which images do you prefer? iPhone 15 Pro Max or Pixel 8 Pro? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Camera Comparison: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. Pixel 8 Pro

On my non-calibrated screen I'm reading the story on?

The first 3 - Pixel looks a bit better to my eyes.

2nd 3 - iPhone

The rest? Tie?

I guess I'd need to see more photos that would include subjects/areas I'd actually use my camera and or iPhone camera for to have a strong take?

Looking at these on a better and calibrated screen could sway me one way or another as well?

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Wow that one skyline shot from the Pixel is just drowning in blue.

The camera comparisons are always fun, but we're so far past the point where all these phone cameras are totally fine for casual use.

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
As always with the comparisons, my pref flip flops photo to photo. I tend to prefer superior video handling so get that with the iPhone. Photos look great on nearly all high-end phones these days. Most people's preference nearly always falls on whichever side of a "holy war" (sports, phones, politics, mythologies, etc.) they stand.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I love those AI features on the Pixel, but I won’t be getting a Pixel for them. Can’t wait to see how Apple makes them better on the iPhone XX.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I wish MacRumors would stamp images with A & B or 1 & 2 and poll the crowd on which images look better... then "update" or post a followup article after 48-72 hours revealing which was Apple's vs. which is <others>. By putting the favorite company's name on images in articles like this, fans/anti-fans find things to favor/fault in those shots.

A poll as described would have people judging solely on quality of photos head-to-head and the delayed big reveal or followup article would give us an overall objective group opinion.

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The fact that it’s basically a draw is not encouraging for Apple. Combined with the fact that Samsung zoom is just way better, I don’t know what Apple is doing with its cameras. It keeps wanting to make them a headline feature, but they just are not anything special.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Seems to me the detail of the iP15 is superior whereas I definitely prefer the lighting and color rendering of Pixel based on the photos published. So far the photos from my iP15PM are fantastic, so the article does nothing to make me wish to use a different platform.

Reactions: flofixer and dude-x

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2014
It looks like there was no effort made to match the exposure here. I guess there’s something to be said for the default settings the phone spits out, but for a proper comparison it would be nice to see some effort to match them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.