Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
The iPhone ones definitely look like they’ve been processed already, whereas the Pixel’s are more flat

iPhone photos remind me of some of the film profiles Fujifilm has for their jpegs, but with HDR. I do love how Fuji’s jpegs look straight out of camera, a lot of the time they don’t require much editing, if any

This is probably what most consumers want, just good looking photos without having to drop them in Lightroom before posting

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
Image processing is an art with no right or wrong. However, the vast majority of the general public prefers images that are brighter, more saturated, with higher contrast. It seems to be biologically hardwired. BTW image processing choices to please the masses are not just for smartphone vendors but television as well. Go to any Best Buy and the TV’s on display have brightness and saturation that are cranked to 11. That being said the enthusiast videophiles and photographers, unlike the Instagram crowd, do not prefer everything cranked to 11. They prefer accuracy and restraint. They don’t prefer skin texture to be processed to the point that it looks plastic or teeth looking perfectly white. Until the next big tech breakthrough comes most smartphone cameras are going to be very similar with differences mainly in the post processing choices. Pick the one you like. People have been using color science to pick between Canon, Nikon, and Sony cameras for many years.

Last edited:

WRX-SRQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Tallahassee
It's funny how much value people put into the cameras on these phones. It's the complete opposite for me. As a creative director and professional photographer, I could care less. I don't use my phone for anything more than quick shots of family. If I am taking anything of value, I'll use my Sony A7R V, not a phone. It's just not a feature to benchmark a "phone" for me. When 90% of the people using these cameras are taking photos of food or dumb stuff, it's makes no difference.

Reactions: kiensoy and 4odomi

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Both Apple and Google came out with new high-end flagship smartphones this autumn, debuting the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro, respectively. As with any expensive smartphone, the cameras in both produce amazing images, but there are some notable differences that can be seen in our comparison video and article.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max has a triple-lens camera system with 48-megapixel Main (wide) camera that can be set to three focal lengths, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 12-megapixel Telephoto lens that supports up to 5x optical zoom. The Pixel 8 Pro also has a triple-lens camera system with 50-megapixel Wide camera, a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 48-megapixel Telephoto camera also with 5x optical zoom.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-3.jpg

The Google and Apple camera systems have similarities in available lenses and technologies like portrait mode, night mode, HDR, and more, but there are different software algorithms that are at work under the hood, and that's what brings in some of the biggest differences that we're seeing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-9.jpg

When it comes to landscape images that show a lot of sky, the iPhone 15 Pro Max looks more natural. The colors are more accurate and the differences between sky and cloud are more pronounced for an overall better looking image. The Pixel 8 Pro trends toward a more blue tint for sky images, and it also has a tendency to overexpose in some shots. You'll also notice that the Pixel photos tend to be brighter, while the iPhone photos are downright moody.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-10.jpg

There are definite themes to color temperature, saturation, exposure, and other factors. Several of the iPhone 15 Pro Max images feel oversaturated compared to the Pixel 8 Pro, with Apple giving deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, while Google's images have a brighter feel with contrast bumped down. In the taxi image, for example, the cars were not that shade of yellow that Apple produced, but both images look good and choosing a favorite will depend on whether you prefer images that are more saturated or brighter.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-11.jpg

Apple's 5x Telephoto lens is limited to 12 megapixels and it does not have the wide aperture of the Main lens, so it should not be a surprise that the images that come out of it look different in terms of sharpness and saturation. 5x images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro look similar in most instances, but the Pixel 8 Pro seems to have more pronounced textures because the images are brighter with the contrast bumped up a bit more than what we're getting with the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-15.jpg

Apple's 5x zoom lens has an edge when it comes to portrait mode because it can capture 5x portraits, while the Pixel is limited to 2x portraits. The iPhone really wins out in terms of background blur, and even in portraits with other lenses, Apple is doing better with color, skin tone, and blur. The Pixel's portrait images sometimes come out better in situations with lower light.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-18.jpg

As for night shots, iPhones have always been a bit ahead in terms of a natural look, and that hasn't changed. The nighttime images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max are more true to life, while the Pixel 8 Pro is much brighter and doesn't have the same nighttime mood.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-16.jpg

Apple's video stabilization has always been tough to beat, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max produces better video than you get with the Pixel 8 Pro. Google has caught up somewhat with its latest smartphones, but Apple remains a step ahead. For pros, Apple also has an option for ProRes Log recording, so you can record a flat image that can be used with custom LUTs in post-processing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-22.jpg

Google has added some fun AI features to its camera that Apple can't compete with. Best Take, for example, sorts through multiple group photos that have been captured and finds the best shot. You can go change each person's face, swapping in from another in the series so that each person is smiling and looking at the camera. Magic Editor lets you erase objects in an image and uses generative AI to fill in the blank spot, and the Audio Magic Eraser can pull out unwanted sounds.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-27.jpg

Which images do you prefer? iPhone 15 Pro Max or Pixel 8 Pro? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Camera Comparison: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. Pixel 8 Pro
Clearly yellow cabs in NY are not orange, however every camera takes both good and bad photo's it's just which ones you choose to compare.
Having said that, all three google lenses are 48 pixels and that's a big advantage over the 15 Pro/Max

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The Pixel's color temperature is more on the colder (blueish) side, sometimes too much blue.
The iPhone is on the warmer side, I would say all photos were perfect except the night shot with the plant, where there seems too much color saturation.
The clouds on the iPhone look very real, not washed out as on the Pixel.

It would be great if side to side comparisons are made from the same angle for a more fair comparison, as in the image with the train. Different objects on the image could alter the way the photo is taken.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I still can't believe Apple doesn't have a 'Magic Eraser' tool. I would use that more than lifting a subject out of the background. Hopefully we'll see more in iOS 18!

Extremely unlikely. Apple has been adamant that they're aiming for accuracy and realism; Google is almost the polar opposite.

The magic ___ branding Google is using for those features is excellent marketing. ( in addition to being incredibly useful features )

It’s rare to see Apple out-marketed by Google.

Apple has been describing its products as "magic" since at least the Magic Mouse in 2009. Now they have a Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and like 4 different Magic Keyboards. They also describe products and features as "magic" all the time.

The fact that it’s basically a draw is not encouraging for Apple. Combined with the fact that Samsung zoom is just way better, I don’t know what Apple is doing with its cameras. It keeps wanting to make them a headline feature, but they just are not anything special.

Is it not? The Pixel has matched or exceeded the iPhone in photos every year they've existed. And not sure Samsung zoom is "way better," they just have a 10x telephoto instead of Apple's 5x.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
Seems to me the detail of the iP15 is superior whereas I definitely prefer the lighting and color rendering of Pixel based on the photos published. So far the photos from my iP15PM are fantastic, so the article does nothing to make me wish to use a different platform.
24 pixels by default and HEIC 48 pixel RAW, just a couple without getting into the video stuff 😉

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
by
It's funny how much value people put into the cameras on these phones. It's the complete opposite for me. As a creative director and professional photographer, I could care less. I don't use my phone for anything more than quick shots of family. If I am taking anything of value, I'll use my Sony A7R V, not a phone. It's just not a feature to benchmark a "phone" for me. When 90% of the people using these cameras are taking photos of food or dumb stuff, it's makes no difference.

I also have an A7rV and a bunch of GM glass but the phone matters to me for two reasons. Even with high end photography equipment I use my phone for the vast majority of my family photos. I’m not lugging that gear to an amusement park or birthday party. I’m not using it for a family hike, day trip, dinner, or even many vacations. These scenarios are much better done with a smartphone despite the compromises. I also use my iPhone for video and it does very well especially compared to mirrorless cameras that have not been optimized for video.

Reactions: sleeptodream

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
The fact that it’s basically a draw is not encouraging for Apple. Combined with the fact that Samsung zoom is just way better, I don’t know what Apple is doing with its cameras. It keeps wanting to make them a headline feature, but they just are not anything special.
Samsung long zoom images look like total garbage.

sudanyms

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2023
I think something to consider, regarding photo editing is -
- You want to avoid editing "down". This is why most photographers shoot raw. The issue of some commenters stating iPhone images are too dark is why things like LightRoom and Photoshop exists. As well as Apples proprietary in-app photo editing.

The black point on the Pixel is certainly amplified as others have stated. It does make the images look a bit flat. It almost seems like AI in the camera is editing what it thinks the colors oughta be over what the colors are to the eye. Which, is partially to be expected.

For me, I like to edit my own photos. While taking above average amateur photos on either device is possible; I'm inclined to think that iPhone makes it a bit easier.

Nonetheless, respectively, both phones would get the job done for the average smartphone user. I suspect that's the majority. Seems like this is going to come down to personal preference. Certainly a tough jump for either user to the other.

Reactions: neuropsychguy

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Clearly yellow cabs in NY are not orange

Meh, it's hard to tell from the photos tbh. Many NY cabs, particularly newer ones, are distinctly orange. By law they're required to be painted "Dupont M6284 or its equivalent," a color that seems to vary but is pretty clearly orangey-yellow. I think the iPhone shot is a bit too orange and the Google shot is a bit too yellow.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 4.18.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 4.18.47 PM.png
    21 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: ohio.emt

WRX-SRQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Tallahassee
by

I also have an A7rV and a bunch of GM glass but the phone matters to me for two reasons. Even with high end photography equipment I use my phone for the vast majority of my family photos. I’m not lugging that gear to an amusement park or birthday party. I’m not using it for a family hike, day trip, dinner, or even many vacations. These scenarios are much better done with a smartphone despite the compromises. I also use my iPhone for video and it does very well especially compared to mirrorless cameras that have not been optimized for video.
That's all fine and well, I too take family pictures, but not a single one has been put on my wall. They are all for my "digital life" aka Facebook and Instagram and for those, I don't really care that my pictures have been taken with a 48mp, 5x optical zoom. It's overkill. If I'm taking "family photos" that I want to put on my wall or landscapes, or what have you I'm using my "Camera," not a phone. My point is I think people put too much hype into the camera of a smartphone as a deciding factor.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

That's true... but for me, not for the reason you stated.

Strong/compelling photographs comes from the photographer, his/her imagination, life experiences, ability to assess the quality of light, deciding which elements should be in or out of the frame (or dropped in the shadows), understanding gesture when photographing people, understanding a composition's power to release narrative in a viewer's mind, and on and on and on.

I've pretty much made photos exclusively with an iPhone for the last 7-8 years. It meets my needs just fine.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

arjobson

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2023

Both Apple and Google came out with new high-end flagship smartphones this autumn, debuting the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro, respectively. As with any expensive smartphone, the cameras in both produce amazing images, but there are some notable differences that can be seen in our comparison video and article.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max has a triple-lens camera system with 48-megapixel Main (wide) camera that can be set to three focal lengths, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 12-megapixel Telephoto lens that supports up to 5x optical zoom. The Pixel 8 Pro also has a triple-lens camera system with 50-megapixel Wide camera, a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera, and a 48-megapixel Telephoto camera also with 5x optical zoom.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-3.jpg

The Google and Apple camera systems have similarities in available lenses and technologies like portrait mode, night mode, HDR, and more, but there are different software algorithms that are at work under the hood, and that's what brings in some of the biggest differences that we're seeing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-9.jpg

When it comes to landscape images that show a lot of sky, the iPhone 15 Pro Max looks more natural. The colors are more accurate and the differences between sky and cloud are more pronounced for an overall better looking image. The Pixel 8 Pro trends toward a more blue tint for sky images, and it also has a tendency to overexpose in some shots. You'll also notice that the Pixel photos tend to be brighter, while the iPhone photos are downright moody.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-10.jpg

There are definite themes to color temperature, saturation, exposure, and other factors. Several of the iPhone 15 Pro Max images feel oversaturated compared to the Pixel 8 Pro, with Apple giving deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, while Google's images have a brighter feel with contrast bumped down. In the taxi image, for example, the cars were not that shade of yellow that Apple produced, but both images look good and choosing a favorite will depend on whether you prefer images that are more saturated or brighter.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-11.jpg

Apple's 5x Telephoto lens is limited to 12 megapixels and it does not have the wide aperture of the Main lens, so it should not be a surprise that the images that come out of it look different in terms of sharpness and saturation. 5x images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel 8 Pro look similar in most instances, but the Pixel 8 Pro seems to have more pronounced textures because the images are brighter with the contrast bumped up a bit more than what we're getting with the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-15.jpg

Apple's 5x zoom lens has an edge when it comes to portrait mode because it can capture 5x portraits, while the Pixel is limited to 2x portraits. The iPhone really wins out in terms of background blur, and even in portraits with other lenses, Apple is doing better with color, skin tone, and blur. The Pixel's portrait images sometimes come out better in situations with lower light.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-18.jpg

As for night shots, iPhones have always been a bit ahead in terms of a natural look, and that hasn't changed. The nighttime images from the iPhone 15 Pro Max are more true to life, while the Pixel 8 Pro is much brighter and doesn't have the same nighttime mood.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-16.jpg

Apple's video stabilization has always been tough to beat, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max produces better video than you get with the Pixel 8 Pro. Google has caught up somewhat with its latest smartphones, but Apple remains a step ahead. For pros, Apple also has an option for ProRes Log recording, so you can record a flat image that can be used with custom LUTs in post-processing.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-22.jpg

Google has added some fun AI features to its camera that Apple can't compete with. Best Take, for example, sorts through multiple group photos that have been captured and finds the best shot. You can go change each person's face, swapping in from another in the series so that each person is smiling and looking at the camera. Magic Editor lets you erase objects in an image and uses generative AI to fill in the blank spot, and the Audio Magic Eraser can pull out unwanted sounds.

phone-15-pro-max-vs-pixel-27.jpg

Which images do you prefer? iPhone 15 Pro Max or Pixel 8 Pro? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Camera Comparison: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. Pixel 8 Pro
As much as I love my new iPhone 15 Pro Max I have to say the Google Pixel beats it hands down.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I think equal is fine. I buy Apple for lots of reasons other than photos - so long as the photos are not appreciably worse.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
iPhone has better contrast in the clouds and doesn't blow the highlights, but otherwise the Pixel has the edge.

Ultimately, my Sony full frame still has a job :)

Reactions: ohio.emt

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
I think this may come down to taste, but i like iPhone Pro Max for most of them.

They just seem more true to life, while the Pixel seems to be trying to pull too much contrast in some of the shots.

Hard to say without being there.

Hatshepsut

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
I tend to prefer bright, saturated photos so the Pixel shots look better to my eye. But I think this sort of thing can be tweaked with the phone's camera settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.