Camera on the Nano, but NO CAMERA on the Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crackbookpro, Sep 9, 2009.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I am truly truly dissapointed, but at the same time I just saved myself some coin... ;) I will not be getting any iPods now!!!

I see no reason why they would not include a camera on the top of the line iPod, and then include a camera on the Nano. :confused:

I see no logical reason!!! I was ready to buy a new iPod Touch, but now have little incentive to purchase the 3rd Gen Touch :mad:

Does anyone understand where Apple is coming from?

2. pakkman781 macrumors newbie

I agree. Apple developed all the features I wanted in my iPod... on the nano. I was looking forward to upgrading to a new touch today, but there's nothing in the new touch that I want.

I carry my touch everywhere, and yet the nano gets the new features. They're trying to make me carry two iPods -_-

3. umbilical macrumors 6502a

thats really sucks for ipod touch! a commercial move for sell nanos... for apple... well I wait for a new iphone!!! november? or january?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

As far as I can tell, it's only a video camera on the nano, not a photo/video camera.

5. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

So, do you understand why the Nano has a video camera, and not the 3rd gen Touch?

6. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Apple probably thought it would jeopardize iPhone sales because if it has a camera, it automatically makes it a phone killer.

I understand that every cell phone has a camera, but it doesn't mean it's taking away from the phone function.

7. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I think that the ipod touch will get a camera. It's got to be some technical glitch or something, although the touch is basically the same shape as the iphone 3g! I don't see why there would be a technical issue, but maybe Apple will announce it in a few weeks.

8. MVApple macrumors 6502a

SERIOUSLY disappointed. I sold my 1G in anticipation of a 3G with a camera and microphone. I was also expecting a 16gb model at $200, not an 8gb model. It was a pretty bad miscalculation on my part. I think I may go for a 16gb 2G and move on to a Zune HD for music.

I want to believe though that apple had manufacturing problems and in two months we'll see ipod touches with cameras and a 16gb at $200.

9. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...maybe an iPod "Touch S" or something? I hope, but I really think if we were getting one on the Touch, it would be here for this keynote.

The Nano can record video, and the 3rd gen Touch cannot :confused:

I am so confused, I don't know where to start. Even if they are trying to gain a bigger market with the Nano, since it is so affordable - I would still include it in the top of the line iPod (iPod Touch). :confused:

...this update makes no sense!!! :mad:

10. EmeraldICE macrumors member

I really hope they didn't think that.
    They'd have to be stupid.
    No one pays a monthly bill just to use a damn camera. Not to mention one that doesn't even have flash, which comes standard on many cheap phones.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Given all the cases we've seen with camera holes, I prefer to believe the production problem theory for no camera on the Touch. Steve won't release anything that's not "perfect". I'll bet the curving back of the Touch meant a smooth surface for the lens could not be achieved, leaving a "bump" to get scratched and nicked.

A lower price and 64gb model are the only significant improvements. My current Touch is fast enough.

12. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Exactly. Some people on this forum think that's why.

I hope those production screw-ups were true and Apple decides to release a iPod touch with a video camera sometime before Christmas.

13. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...definitely logical from a design point, but someone who is Head of Sales for iPods, must have been away on a long long vacation - this makes no sense for the Touch :mad:

...and they also included FM Radio to the Nano :confused:

Apple/Steve Jobs... FM radio!!! :confused: Why now, and why the Nano???

14. EmeraldICE macrumors member

That's what I'm speculating also, which is why there's no way I'll be updating any time soon.
    But they kinda set themselves up for downfall on this one.
    People who realize how substandard this update is are angry, and the people who buy into this "update" will be angry when a newer version with a camera comes out not too far into the future (hopefully).
    Bah. Point is -- this update was extremely disappointing.

15. Link2999 macrumors 6502

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, I do actually.

It's to sell more nanos. It's to bring the nano closer to the same level as the Touch.

17. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...your explanation leaves me to believe you are guessing :rolleyes:

have anything with substance?

I understand that this could grow the Nano market in sales, but any minor update to the Nano could grow the Nano sales market. Just including the FM Radio would help Nano Sales. The iPod Touch market will not grow because of this, and the app store will not grow. The app store would benefit tremendously, and be a huge plus if the Touch came with a camera w/video capabilities!

and Surely, what do you mean by "it's to bring the Nano closer to the same level"? ....what level? :confused:

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That was my thinking. They talk about the Touch being the fastest selling iPod, and then, to make it even better, they...do nothing.

19. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I believe that too. Especially with the FM thing. Lots of people didn't buy ipods because they didn't have fm radio support. Now,just imagine their sales...

20. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Im disappointed in the lack of camera, but pleased with the capacity increase. Not sure if i should update now... Wonder how long until i can grab a new 64GB off of craigslist. :rolleyes:

21. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...the FM Radio part I agree with you, but if you think it justifies why the Touch doesn't have a camera - I would like to hear your explanation... :confused:

22. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

People go and buy more nanos,nanos sell as much as touches,then update both. Imagine if Apple had updated the Touches with camera. People would go and buy touches only. Why? Because you can do more with a touch rather than with a nano. So Apple would have to stop producing nanos cause they wouldn't sell as much as the other ipods.

23. Kwats macrumors member

Okay I'm seriously tired of seeing everyone on the forum cry like 6 month old babies when there bottle is taken away. So what if there is no camera The new one with a camera would have essentially been an iphone without cellular capabilitys and gps because everyones going to say that too. so i see why they didnt do it. If you don't want one for the spec bump and all you wanted for a camera...that means you were essentially going to spend 300$ on a camera then GO BUY A REGULAR CAMERA! You act like you can't keep ahold of your money tell me really is it such a burdan to have 300$ in your pocket right now?

24. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I agree,It ruined my day too,I was hoping for a 64GB ipod touch with a camera to compliment my new 15in. macbook pro I'm getting soon.I hope theres an update around christmas,then I don't have to buy it.;)

25. Rob Philips macrumors newbie

Completely agree with most of you guys.

Very disappointing. How can you forget about the Touch like this.

It hasn't even got a friggin' better battery for crying out loud. It's not only about gaming to me but also to use it as a personal computer at Uni.

Bad, bad move.