Camera test vs iPhone 6, Samsung has stepped up it's game

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by PacificBeach, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

2. ttmrn macrumors regular

Soooo.. You mean the Samsung Note 4 is an equivalent to the iPhone 6?

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yes.

Sorry, brain fart... meant the two phones (Note 4 and iPhone 6) that were voted highest quality in the poll :p

4. ttmrn macrumors regular

Sorry! i wasnt clear, that message was meant for the OP. lol

5. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Messed with the note 4 a little at the store the other day (no Internet access though with the phone couldn't do much) it seems like its great, and the camera took good shots in the store, but eh, touchwiz is still pretty repulsive.

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yep, my thoughts on touchwiz:

[​IMG]

Sure hope Android L does away with that crap or at least REALLY causes samsung to tone it down :(

7. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It was tolerable until I pulled down the notification shade.

8. Gmcube macrumors regular

I dont know how much I trust that poll. Kinda looks rigged to me...

But all I got out of those is that the iphone exposes skies better. (by that I mean it doesn't overexpose it as much as most cameras tend to when metering for the ground)

The pics are so tiny though its hard to see much.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

agreed. i loathed touchwiz. ill stick to stock android thank you

11. pish6969 macrumors regular

The camera is the same in both iPhones

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Just read a review saying iphone 6 has the best all around camera. Samsung may have stepped up its game but Apple upped it more.

13. that be me macrumors 6502

The comments section there is painful to read. Far, FAR worse than anything here. ***ge flinging, obvious Samsung shills and the most obnoxious Apple fans. I'll never bad mouth these forums ever again.

14. mib1800 macrumors 68020

15. cdaq macrumors member

Agreed. But... It's trivial to install a new launcher. I'm probably S5 bound and this will be my first action.

16. cue003 macrumors member

The note 4 doesn't do as good a job with silencing the background noise during the front camera video recording. The note 4 does appear to take some quality images.

17. Ruprict macrumors newbie

The Note 4 takes better stills and while the color of the video is great, it suffers from the motion wobble.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Samsung hasn't "stepped" up it's game. They've been near the top for camera quality for a few years now.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree, "near" the top is the operative phrase.

20. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

This kind of test doesn't use color accuracy as a criteria because the voters were not there. So, it would make sense that the voters on the Internet might be swayed by over saturated images from a Note 4.

----------

Can you spare us having to watch a 30 minute video and give us the main reason?

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Samsung camera tech is good. The software can be rough, and not as responsive as it should be, and the interface is awful, but it does take good pics.

22. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I think the slow motion was brighter and sharper on the plus as well as much better ois. However, the front facing camera (note 4 is much better), back video, and pics are slighly better on the note 4 generally, if a bit over exposed/under at times referring to sky shots and tree shadows.

I'd say when you add this info together it really is a tie.

23. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

The video can't be independently verified.

Supply pictures (original) w/ full EXIF. One needs to be able to evaluate the noise. The dynamic range and detail.
    There is no doubt a higher MP will have better detail but that is not an indicator of quality. Noise, linear steps of dynamic range are quantifiable objective metrics.

Secondly, his low-light is nowhere to what I call "low-light"

Go outside at 4AM and take a picture and come back to me.
    Take a picture of some kids running around a 10x10 room w/ a 20 watt bulb in the middle.
    Take pictures of mix exposures. A subject against a back-lit window. This will test the metering of the camera's software. the IP6 plus shines here.

These are tangible tests.

24. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

What's funny is look at the image stabilization section. About 2:30 into the video The Galaxy is clearly worse and the video is jerky vs the iPhone video.

The guy say "hands down I have to give it to the Note 4..." Anyway, it looks like the Note has a nice camera and it should for being 16mp. This video is hokey though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arah2K_xvCk