Camino vs Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zuplar, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

i'm just not really a big safari fan, so i uninstalled it and installed firefox pretty much immediately once i got my new MacBook. since installing it and doing my research to learn more about Mac, i have found several sites that say Camino is a lot like Firefox, but is better. i was just wondering how many use each, and which one is actually better. thanks for any input.

2. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I use Camino. There are probably lots of cool extensions in Firefox that I'm missing out on, but I never liked the Mac version. It's not as buggy as it used to be, but it still seems slow and clunky. Camino is relatively simple, fast and stable.

And Camino lets you set keyword shortcuts for tab groups (so for example I type "news" to open a group of tabs). As far as I know it's the only browser that has this. A minor feature perhaps, but I like it a lot.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The best thing about Camino is that it's Cocoa. It's a native app and will do native things that Firefox most likely never will. It's great.

4. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

so what are some other things it can do that Firefox can't? i suppose i should just download it and give it a try. i'm just really used to Firefox since i'm a windows user, and just have continued to use it.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I can say that Camino isn't best for older Macs. When using my PowerBook G3 it lags (a lot) to type text, whereas FireFox is fine.

I no longer use Camino, but have noticed that the form elements on website (buttons, checkboxes etc) inherit the Mac look. But yes, I have found it is much slower that FireFox, even scrolling a website on a Core 2 Duo iMac was a bit sluggish.

6. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

well i'm using Camino right now, and to me it seems to function like Firefox, but make everything look Mac, like Safari. i think i may like this better.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I use an Intel optimized version of FireFox, and it runs just about as fast and as well as Camino. Camino is nice, but the only reason I use FF is because it has plugins. If I wanted pure speed I'd use Safari, which is the fastest of any of them, especially the current version. If you load FF up with too many plugins, I find it slows it down though. The look doesn't matter to me.

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Oh you did not just start yet another thread on this topic.

I've done the rounds, I started with Firefox, then switched to Camino and found it a lot nicer and faster to boot up. Then I switched to Safari, which is faster still by my experience.

10. Cockroach macrumors 6502

I like Camino, it feels more like a Mac app. Firefox feels like a port (which it is).

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I did exactly the same. Camino has been my main browser since 1 year until I installed Leopard last week. Safari on Leopard is by the far the fastest internet browser I have ever used. My machine is a 1.5Ghz G4 powerbook mind you.

12. hartwork macrumors member

Safari has always been my default browser and it's faster on Leopard than it is on Tiger (in my experience).

Camino I would use for WordPress and for other random sites where Safari wasn't supported.

Firefox I've never used on a Mac but I've downloaded it and will try it someday...maybe...if I have to.:)

13. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

overall the only thing that i'm not liking about camino is sometimes when scrolling it is choppy.

14. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i just downloaded camino and i'm testing it :p, i Like it, i find it better than firefox, but still the look is still a little bit to firefoxy too me, i'm sticking with Safari

15. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

i guess i'm just to used to FF to use Safari. even on my pc i tried Safari and didn't care for it much.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thats because Safari is really bad on the PC, please don't judge Safari on that basis. Along with Inquisitor, Safari is an awesome browser. It blows FF out of the water speedwise...

17. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

i left it on my Mac for a week, i just never got used to it.

18. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I used Camino until I found that I couldn't watch videos on MSNBC.com, so I switched to Firefox. It's a shame as I preferred Camino. Oh well, C'est la vie.

19. 1020 macrumors regular

I can watch videos on MSNBC.com. Maybe you haven't installed the Flash player plugin for Camino?

20. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

so i figure i would humor you guys and use Safari, but i uninstalled it after i installed Leopard. now i can't download it because it says the beta won't work.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Was using Firefox but switched to Safari 3 since upgrading to Leopard and I love it. There is an app firefoxy that makes the form elements and whatnot look a little more mac-like if that's a big deal to you. I have Camino installed but don't really use it much.

22. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

My problem with Safari, is that some websites - such as Yahoo! Mail Plus and my bank's website do not support Safari :(

23. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

I use Safari, but when I was experimenting with other browsers, I prefered Camino rather than Firefox. Firefox doesn't fit in with the Mac look, is really slow compared to Camino, and if you can live without extensions...I would choose Camino.

24. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I would use Camino, but it's annoying for me. Sometimes when I click links, it shows that the links been clicked but it doesn't do anything. I have to click the links rapidly a few times, which is really annoying.

25. Meromo macrumors newbie

I'm a Camino user and I like a lot about it: the look, ad-blocking, double-click in tab bar to open a new tab, speed, and the (admittedly few) plug-ins.

Having said that, there's only one reason I don't use Safari instead, and that's becuase of the insanely annoying (to me, at least) toggle for stop/reload. You know how Flash is really crap on Macs and chokes up the processor, especially on older Macs? Or when you decide you don't want to wait for a image-heavy page to load? What do you do? You press the Stop button.
    If the browswer is having a bad day and not responding, you tend to hit the Stop button again. And again. And again.
    Then, when the browswer is back on its feet, with Safari it tries to Stop, then Reload, then Stop, then Reload etc. Of course, each time it tries to reload, the whole thing bogs down again.
    If there's an option to have separate Stop and Reload buttons in Safari...I'll be back like a flash ('scuse the pun).