Can a Grand Cherokee fit in the city?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by illusiumd, Nov 2, 2013.

1. illusiumd macrumors newbie

Wondering if I can get away with driving and parking a Jeep GC in Chicago? My wife wants an Escape or Tiguan or something like that -- but I need a little more HP I think, plus I'm a big guy. I looked at the specs and the GC is only 11 inches longer than the Escape... Any advice?

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I don't see why not. The new Grand Cherokees are nice. I'd take that over a VW. :)

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In a City you might would want to look for a vehicle with self parking enabled for parallel parking.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

If you live in the city and have to parallel park all the time, a shorter vehicle will be easier to live with. The GC at 190" is not terrible, if you're a skilled parallel parker and have a backup camera. Consider a Subaru Forester for the visibility and shorter 181" length.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I can understand needing the interior room - seeing as you're a 'big guy' and all. I don't understand the need for more HP in a city though? I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who owns a 3 cylinder, .99litre displacement Smart Car. These cars are designed for the city, and are brilliant for urban driving. Very easy to drive in traffic, and you can scoot into traffic gaps that large cars can barely get a fender into. In Victoria and Vancouver they have special parking spots for micro cars that are cheaper than regular spots, and are placed in premier spots. You can usually just drive into most regular spots if parallel parking is not your strength. And they are very good on gas. Plus... they are fun to drive. And ... you can probably get two Smarts for the price of one GC... his and hers cars, as it were.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

After living up there for a while I would say probably not.

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'd say depending where and what parking you're looking for - just permit street parking? I think it would depend a bit on the neighborhood.

I went to Loyola, so I lived in Rogers Park. Street parking isn't so bad there. However, I also lived in Lincoln Park for a year after graduation and street parking is miserable there. If you're going to have an SUV regardless, I guess it doesn't matter too much since you'll be in the same boat pretty much.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I live near Dallas. I have no trouble driving or parking my Expedition downtown, I can't imagine a Grand Cherokee being a problem.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My view is the smaller the better for city driving and living. Where I live, I found having a truck (Honda Ridgeline) to be a royal pain. It was difficult to find parking spots on the street, most were just big enough for cars.

You may have less of a problem because the SUV is smaller then a pickup truck but you may still have issues. If you don't need the larger vehicle, then get a small one. Besides its better on gas :)

I'm getting double the gas mileage of my truck and I'm loving it. It costs less to fill up and I go much much further between tankfuls

10. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

well, if you live in smurf town, than no.
    but if you live anywhere else, than yes. the GC isn't that big of a jeep. not bigger than other mid-sized SUV.
    you want a big jeep? go for a suburban :p

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I have family in chicago, and I commuate to NYC all the time, during the winter I use my F350 Super Duty, and have no issues as long as there is a decent parking spot.

Besides, the Jeep has tons more power with its V8 engine. And is more than likely safer.

And not a crossover POS. While its not a real off roader, it will have much more interior room, and handle adverse weather conditions better.

Plus, with the Escape and the Tiguan, you get puny 4 cylinders. With the GC, you can option it out with a 370HP V8. Will easily leave those two in the dust.

Also, it even isn't that big. 11 inches? Who cares about that?

----------

WOW.

Are you kidding? Are you seriously kidding?

If someone can't parallel park without a computer doing it for them, they shouldn't be issued a drivers license.

Actually, in some states like PA, you literally can't get a drivers license unless you prove you can parallel park in tight spaces.

----------

This, I have no issues parking my F350 in NYC during the winter, or getting it into garages, tho sometimes it gets a little tight. Lucky for me, I don't suck at parking ;)

Oddly, my Corvette is MUCH harder to park as it has huge blind sports, terrible turning radius and pretty much no way to see out of the back lol

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you're planning on renting a parking space (or if one comes with your apartment/condo) do your homework because some can be extremely tight. If you're planning on parking on the street your car will certainly fit, but I would advise you not to buy a nice new car if you will be parking on the street. Cars that park on the street in Chicago get beat up ... look at any car and you'll see a million little love taps on both bumpers.

If you're dead set on buying a new car, do it before you move. You'll pay 9.5% sales tax if you buy a car in Chicago.

13. jav6454, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This, oh god, THIS!!! I can't stress enough the fact that anyone who can't parallel park should not drive. I am very much for strict driving exams.

True, having said feature is nice. But I'd use it when I'm feeling lazy, not as the main thing to do because "I can't parallel park".

Good for PA on requiring that. Every state should follow this model. This way we get rid of over half bad drivers/arse hole parkers.

14. Roller macrumors 68020

Well, unless the GC has grown significantly since I drove one in the 90s, it should be fine in the city. I never had problems parallel parking. These days, with backup cameras and proximity sensors, parking should be even easier.

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

But you can't really transport anything other than yourself

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really? People need to learn to parallel part, it is not difficult.

I would want a smaller car in a big city. Finding spots for something that big can be difficult. It's a hard call.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Had one in the city, it isn't that large of a car. Nowadays they will definitely have rear cameras and the such for helping if you can't park it, but it never was a problem without them when I had one. It isn't that big of a car.

Put a small brush guard and a rear bumper guard, would be perfect protection from getting bumped and dinged in the city.

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

Vast majority of trips are single passenger, with the 2nd most common trip being two people. Smart Cars are 2 passenger vehicles, so not a good fit for a family - at least not as a the primary car. Although I don't golf, supposedly the luggage area is big enough for a bag of clubs. Certainly I've never had any problems fitting all the groceries I've ever needed. My late wife and I did a 10 day driving trip down the Washington and Oregon coasts and had plenty of room to carry our luggage and to bring back beer from a very nice brew-pub at Cape Kiwanda. Lots of beer. But, no - you aren't going to get lumber, or a chair, or a table, or a scooter in a Smart Car. Though I was bringing back a 7ft to 8ft Christmas tree for my wife.

Our philosophy was that the Smart Car saved us so much on fuel we would (and did) just rent a van for the 1% of the time we actually needed to carry anything beyond our normal stuff. The difference in price for one gas fill up with an SUV is more than a days rental for a van. At least where I live.

It isn't a the best solution for everyone, of course. But as a city car - which is what the OP was asking about - it is hard to beat. Though keep in mind that I live in an area where the cities are trying (and succeeding) to be 'liveable' (which means making the city less friendly for the large gas guzzlers).

19. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I've been using a GC in Toronto this year and it really isn't too bad. I prefer the comfort when going over all the road construction and potholes. Obviously it's going to be easier to park a smaller vehicle than a GC but if you're half competent driver then it really isn't a big deal. I've rarely had to pass up a spot because I wouldn't fit. There's always a spot around the corner.

20. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

LOL, you guys and your big cars ;) My primary vehicle is a single cylinder 250cc motorcycle - and I can carry two people and groceries in the city just fine, thankyouverymuch, although most of the time it's just me, just like with most car trips. It's amazing what can be done with 16 hp.

Anything can fit in the city. A double-decker bus can fit in the city, assuming you know how to handle it. If your needs call for a Grand Cherokee, why not? If you have to parallel park it regularly, you'll learn to do it well fairly quickly with practice.

21. snberk103, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

snberk103 macrumors 603

My nephew agrees with you. He has his motorcycle license, but only a Learner's for cars. I took him out last month in my Smart, and the first thing he did was back into a large rock. I don't know if he was unused to the size, or just something that has a reverse gear... ;)

Me... I live in a rain forest. I know you can stay dry on a two wheeler, but it just seems like more work than I'd like.
    Just as a piece of trivia.... the closest city to where I live, Victoria BC, is the first city in North America** to have a fleet of double-decker busses as part of the public transit system because the city is creating pedestrian friendly city and taking out pavement devoted to cars (and busses of course). Articulated busses couldn't make the corners, and even the long busses were having issues in the downtown core, and even the room available for bus stops was being squeezed... so they went vertical. Cool place. Many city blocks downtown have a cross walk in the middle of the block as well as the corners.

**Seattle, Davis CA, and Las Vegas having subsequently added double deckers.

22. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

My issue with a Smart Car, is that it has very little horsepower, and, I would prefer to survive a crash with a beer can.

If a Smartcar crashed into my F350 Super Duty ( with front catcher on it, similar to a police car ), at its top speed, the folks in the Smart Car Could be killed, and I would walk away with zero issues and need a bumper and my airbags reset.

----------

Even in the City ,a Smart Car is less roomy, less comfy and less safe, and probably less reliable in the long run. And very embarrassing.

Would you rather take the tiny go kart sized smart car with no storage, no extra seats, with a poor safety rating, getting laughed at by people walking by?

Or a big comfy V8 SUV with plenty of power, tons of options, leather, sat nav, sunroof, 4WD for the snow, and 18 Airbags protecting you?

Easy choice. Fuel is cheap.

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

And yet I can out accelerate your F350… I know, my buddy has one. Though it was 4 years old at the time.
    With your front catcher you are going to kill most people. Take the front catcher off and you'd be surprised. The Smarts are engineered to use their steel cage (something your F350 doesn't have) to use your crumple zones. My friend here was in a corner to corner front end crash (driver to driver) at moderate speed with a pickup… about F150 sized. The trucks crumple zones crumped so much they wrote off the truck… the Smart was fixed up. The Smart Car's computer decided the impact wasn't to bad, so it merely tightened up the seat belts and she had no injuries, except to her wrist from holding the steering wheel. The trucks airbags deployed and put that driver in hospital.

For urban driving, a Smart is plenty safe enough for me. Plus they don't tend to roll over or fish tail.
    Embarrassing? Ha.. 'round here they're considered sexy. But then again, we are kinda environmentally conscious.
    Fuel is cheaper when it takes a tenth of what you need to. I go a couple of weeks on about $30 of gas…and I live in Canada where our gas is something like twice as expensive. Embarrassing is spending way more than you have to just to move 2 tons of empty sheet metal around…. imho at least….