Can a hackintoshed MSI wind handle video editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peapody, Nov 19, 2009.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hey guys,

I been thinking about selling my macbook pro. I don't really use it to its full potential. I do occasional video editing here and there, and that is really why I keep the macbook pro around. I have a thinkpax x301 that is just as good and capable for the daily tasks of life and in fact is more compatible with my school software and such. So I been thinking about selling the macbook pro and keeping around a hackintoshed MSI wind. Do you guys know if the MSI wind can do some video editing? Just light photo based videos from imovie.

What do you guys think? Just need some opinions!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd say "no", but that's just me. That seems like a disaster.

3. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I would say imovie should be ok, but can't guarantee it.
    Best thing would be to google what you're seeking and also ask, search, at the main hackintosh sites. :)

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

He atom isn't quick enough to handle ve mate.

5. blkraemer macrumors newbie

I think your asking for problems, but that is just me. Consider the GPU requirements of the software. Consider if Atom processors are going to be supported going forward. Consider an iMac or just keeping the MacBook Pro.

Nice Avitar, btw.

6. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Please tell me this is a joke. Are you really asking if you can do one of the MOST resource intensive tasks you can possibly do on a personal computer, and run them on the LEAST powerful cpu on the market?

Well, you could probably run a marathon barefoot, but the results are not going to be pretty, and it's gonna be FAR from enjoyable. Rather painful, actually.

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

It could probably run the software, and do the rendering, but it would do it at a rate of molasses. The question is how long do you want to wait between mouse clicks? It would probably be quick to draw out the individual frames of your video in a flip book and flip it.

8. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Damn, take it easy... Just a honest question. The vids I make are basically photo slide shows.

How about a mac mini? Basically I am finding the macbook pro pretty repetitive since I have a nice sized notebook already.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A Mac Mini would be fine, but the MSI Wind, as others have stated, would probably just be a huge headache.

10. Tommeh macrumors member

It can't. I've got one (for browsing etc) and it isn't powerfull enough for ve.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Like others have said it would be quite slow. But technically it should be able to as the G3 500mhz iMac DV with either 128MB or 256MB RAM could perform video editing with iMovie 1.

edit: Heck the Quadra 660AV could do video editing with its 25Mhz 68040 and 55Mhz AT&T DSP chip.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why a Hachintosh MSI? Why not make the Thinkpad dual boot? It would be cheaper and faster.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The processor will be very slow… the bigger problem you'll have is the lack of RAM… since the most most netbooks can use is 2GB (including the Wind)

14. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Ah but probably not easier. With the MSI, everything works and it is actually a project (modding the notebook with glowing apple). Trying to make a truly mini macbook.

Hmm, not sure what to do. Wish I did not love apple software so much.

15. jayjohnson macrumors newbie

Whatever you decide don't get a hackintosh. I recently went down this path wanting to build a cheap "Hack Pro" and it was a disaster. If you don't want to spend endless hours searching forums to get simple things such as the sound working DON'T DO IT!

I would suggest either hang on to your mac book pro (you're always better off with something a little more powerful than you need with computers). Or If you're considering a pc just get windows and be done with it. I have had both and even windows was not as much problems/messing around as the hackintosh thing. If you have any doubts about what I am saying just read some of the issues with snow leopard on the hackintosh forums out there.

16. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Basic video? Yes.

I did make huge video projects on my Umax s900 back in the days, it had 784 MB ram and 2x 36GB 10.000 rpm UWSCSI SCSI HDs.

I did use a Radius DV card to import videos and edited in 720x576 res (PAL).

The only thing that was faster on the Umax is the HDs, and Umax only had a 2x 250GHz 604e CPUs. The graphics didn't have much power either. I had a ix Mirco 8MB card and a ATI Rage 16MB card.

Rendering back then took the whole lunch for just short effects and it took hours to build the final projects, but it did work and produced high quality video.

Editing on my MBP is a totally different experience, no more coffee breaks for adding small transitions and no more overnight project building.
    The results aren't much different in the end, but the workflow is 100 times better!

Editing on a 10 inch screen tho..

17. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I run barefoot all the time. It's not bad at all... And I enjoy it.

18. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Hahha damn! Good points guys.

I am trying to find use for all 3 of my computers a bit too much -_-!!

19. Ragnar macrumors member

He already Hackintoshed his MSI and is so happy with it he is considering getting rid of his MacBook, that's the whole point of this thread. What you're saying here simply isn't true, IF, you use specific installation techniques on specific hardware. The Dell Mini9 with Leopard 10.5.8 installed using the latest modded Dell EFI is flawless, as is the Dell Mini 10V with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed using the latest NetbookMaker. It has to be the Mini 10V not the standard Mini 10! As of today, use any other combo, and yes, you will have problems.

I could drive a semi through the hole in Apples product line between the 13" Macbook and iPhone..........was absolutely sick of waiting, but couldn't be happier now with my Minitosh. Cheers.

20. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

No. I wouldn't ascribe to its stability, legality, or being free from malware. Those people who hack Apple's code - do you think they're being philanthropic? If they can break through the EFI and other criteria, they can likely put in malware that would be harder to find too.

21. Ragnar macrumors member

True, but they haven't. It's a great community, not a conspiracy. There are plenty of people involved who are smart enough to know it and the whistle would be blown if that was the case. Your looking too deep, we just don't want to carry 15" computers, which is exactly what the 13" Apple measures. Simple as that.

22. jayjohnson macrumors newbie

Trust me when I say that a hackintosh is no where near as reliable or stable as a real mac. I have had both so I know what I am talking about! A hackintosh may be okay for people who like tinkering but are not doing any real work! If you are using it for professional work they are unreliable at best and take many many hours of troubleshooting to get them working. I'll agree that apple products do have bugs but they're trivial in comparison to the problems inherint in a hackintosh...I think you're also missing the point of a mac...it's not the sum of it's parts that makes a mac what it is, it's the whole.

23. Ragnar macrumors member

Well, my Minitosh updates with software update just like any other Mac....haa...but ok, ok, I see your point. I LOVE Apple, for just the reason you mentioned. The software and hardware are designed by one company to work together, I think that's one reason why they are as stable as they are. Thing is, they are just too big for hardcore travel. IF they ever make a proper computer for travel I'll probably buy one.

Back to the original post, your real question should be do I get rid of the IBM or Macbook Pro? What is the screen resolution of the MSI? If it's less than 1024x768 you probably want to keep the MacBook Pro. Which I think is a better solution anyway..... keep the MacBook and get rid of the IBM. Running bootcamp or VM fusion on a Mac would be way better than running iMovie on a MSI Hackintosh. Did I just agree with Jay?:) A MacBook Pro and a small Hackintosh is a perfect combo........in my world anyway;)

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The Atom can barely handle web browsing : /

25. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Flawless you say? That seems like a strong statement.