Can a new iPhone 6 be jailbreaked still ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tig Bitties, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I might be interested in getting an iPhone 6 Plus possibly, would get it through ATT in the U.S.

My question, can a brand new iPhone 6 bought Dec. 31st still be jailbreaked, or did I miss the boat ?

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

iOS 8.1.2 is currently very easily jailbreakable, though you will need a Windows computer or a virtual machine to jailbreak the device. Use the TaiG jailbreak.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I'm a big Android / Nexus nerd, but to be honest burned out and bored with Android lately. Lollipop is good, but not exciting me like I thought, plus little things with Android annoy me lately.

My last iPhone was the 3G, and looking for something different than my OnePlus One and HTC One M8. Always thought a Jailbreaked iPhone 6 Plus would be fun and a change of pace.

A client of mine has a white iPhone 6 Plus, and I was blown away with it, and it was stock. But was such a nice looking device, the camera was warp speed fast, and touch response felt super fast. The phone was very lightweight, and felt good in the hand, I like the size of the Plus.

Opinions ?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go for it then.
    If you dont like it you can always return it.

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I think jailbroken 6 Plus for you would be the best of both worlds in your case, jailbreaking for modifying/tinkering with your phone and also everything you mentioned and more

7. Love Divine macrumors member

Go for it dude - you'll love it.

I was in pretty much the exact same boat as you. Wanted a change. I love it. It's smoother than most any Android device and the hardware overall is a nicer package, with only HTC coming close build/design-wise. I see no reason to JB it honestly - it's doing everything I want it to do and doing it very well. Excellent device all around. Love my Plus.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Random question but I have been out of the JB scene a looooong time.

Do you still need to restore the entire device every time you need to update? I am really not keen on restoring from a backup and then resetting each and every jailbreak tweak that I worked on setting just right lol. Would rather just not even bother (as I have obviously avoided for some time now).

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's always the case.
    You cannot update a jb phone and keep the jb and everything on it.
    You have to restore to stock and jb again.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you've been out for that long I'd suggest giving the phone a week before you even worry about Jailbreaking.

Perhaps you'll still decide you want to do it, but give yourself a chance to see what the iPhone can and can't do first. It's quite a bit different than it was in 2008.

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

For the past two updates I've used the update (as opposed to restore) option to keep my settings intact, then applied the jailbreak. No problems at all and saves a little time.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's possible but strongly advised against by jb devs.
    People that want to do it the fast and sloppy way do it on your own risk.
    I value my jb and iPhone stability much to want to cut corners like that.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, I know I need to restore to stock. The question is whether there is a way to restore jailbreak settings. Such as where my icons were located (if I had more than what stock iOS offers). And other tweaks. Or do I have to manually go in and download and set up every single JB tweak.

I saw something online (a video) of something that does an "icloudlike backup) but it's $8... never have a problem paying for something good but there is so much crapware out there that I hate wasting even a buck on something that doesn't work as advertised.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

This is one of the bigger things that got me out of the JB scene, other than not really finding many useful to me mods as in the past.

15. Applejuiced, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is batch installers out there that will backup your cydia packages and reinstall them back but I like to do things manually. Sometimes they don't all install and play well together in one shot and you might be stuck having to restore and JB again.
    Just take down the hacks that I had, take a few screenshots to where the icons were and that's it.

Not a big deal to me to restore and JB again.
    I prefer a solid JB device and since I only stick to certain packages that I need and use the most it doesn't take that long.
    I can see when you have over 50 hacks installed and having to do it again but with installing tons of things like that or trying out everything that you see on cydia it only invites issues, incompatibilities, errors, bad battery life or other bugs.
    Not everything plays well with each other and there is some bad coded hacks that have memory and battery leaks or cause stock ios functionality to be become buggy or not functioning right.
    It takes research and lots of trial and error. Jailbreaking is not for everyone no matter what some people think.
    It takes troubleshooting and work put in. Its not like the appstore you install an app and its done. Its far deeper operating system modifications that are not for the every day user.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Tahnks for the info. I'll hold off. Just don;t have the time/patience/desire to mess with junk like I used to lol.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

PKGBackup might be the one you are thinking of. It will back up all tweaks/apps as well as Apple's own apps and data and can store that backup file on the cloud (Dropbox, Box, FTP server, etc). You can also set PKGBackup to back your tweaks up as DEB files (which can be individually reinstalled using iFile).

PKGBackup will get your photos, your videos, you text messages, everything, including settings. And you can restore either in full or by selecting only those things you want to restore.

All that said, I've found it to be rather irritating to work with and despite the dev's claim to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) it has a learning curve. It also tends to take forever to work, gets tempermental or errors during restore or backup.

I originally bought the tweak ($9) based on the "feature" that it would do "scheduled" backups. Turns out what the dev meant was that it integrated with Calendar app and scheduled reminders for you to MANUALLY backup - not that you could set a schedule and it would back up automatically like I thought.

However, other people don't seem to have any issues with PKGBackup (other than the "feature" I just mentioned), so maybe I'm just not doing it right.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I cant blame you:D
    It takes time and trial and error. I had installed a bad/faulty hack a while ago and my battery life was going down very fast on my 6Plus.
    I had to manually day by day remove my packages one by one to isolate what one was the culprit causing this issue. It's a pain and time consuming if you have lots of stuff installed.

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I don't buy that. It works consistently for me and I've been jailbreaking since the 74-step jailbreak.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I used some backup tools years ago. They sucked. It's the main reason I am not interested in dabbling in a jailbreak until we have something bulletproof. Especially if I have to pay for it. Just my opinion of course.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey its your choice and you can do whatever you want with your device.
    I been JB since the original iphone back in 2007 and follow the JB dev scene a lot to know that doing it the easy and lazy way that you're referring above is not good for various different reasons that I wont go into detail about.
    Good luck.

22. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Is there a JB app like AdAway or AdFree ? I don't want to see ads in my browser or apps.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its called adblocker 2.

24. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Meh.

I have Android devices and iOS devices.

Mostly I pick one depending on whether I feel like hating on Apple or Google that day. For all practical purposes, both companies are equally annoying, in different ways.

There is ONE STUPID APP that I absolutely need (it's specialized, not a general use app) that is only available iOS/Android so I'm stuck with one or the other or else I'd probably get a WM phone so I could hate on Microsoft for a breath of fresh air.

----------

Just get the Mercury browser. It's cross platform and has adblocking built in. It's the best browser on iOS anyway, and no JB is needed.

There is really no point in a JB these days.

25. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

So far my biggest issue is no "back" button. I really miss that from Android OS. I keep hitting the bottom left side of the phone by habit LOL