Can a SR MBP power 2 external displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickD, Jul 4, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I've been thinking about re-doing my original plan for a graphics work rig and going to a MBP instead of a mac pro, but there's 1 important factor which will change my decision most likely.

Can one of the new SR MacBook Pros power 2 external displays (extended desktop, not mirroring)? If not, would there be a piece of software or hardware to help me?

NickD

2. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that they had Dual-Link which allows you to hook up two DVI displays for spanning or one 30". I would assume you'd need a special adapter or something to hook up two.

3. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

So I would probably be able to power dual 20's or 23's?

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm sure it has the power to, but there is just on DVI port on it, so you'd need an adapter of some sort, but I doubt it would work.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Check out this webpage: It is an adapter that allows to access two large or three smaller monitors to one duallink dvi connector.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/digital/home.php

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Incorrect. Dual-Link DVI does not natively provide support for connecting 2 additional diaplays. Dual-Link DVI simply provides support for high resolution displays, such as the 30". Dual-Link DVI is contained in one port, not two. See this Wikipedia article for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

Through some kind of adaptor, you may be able to utilize the port to power additional displays.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The MacBook Pro has Dual Link DVI which does not allow for driving two monitors but it does allow you to drive a super hi-res monitor like the Apple 30". A regular DVI output does not have the bandwidth to drive the 30".