Carrier Can an iPhone 5s really be locked domestically, but unlocked internationally?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheso, Dec 6, 2013.

1. cheso macrumors newbie

I own an iPhone 5s with U.S. Cellular (A1453), bought it full retail, still it's locked domestically, which is fine with me. I contacted U.S. Cellular to ask whether the phone can be used with a nanoSIM abroad on GSM and this is what they responded:

Can this really work this way? Any real-life experiences? Thanks ;)

2. Idefix macrumors 6502

AFAIK the only CDMA iPhone that has an unlocked domestic GSM slot is Verizon, because they were required by law (during a merger.)

So the VZ iPhone is unlocked for both int'l and domestic GSM SIMS.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, It can really be locked domestically, but unlocked internationally.

4. cheso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... do you know if the phone basically somehow checks whether it's in the U.S. or not, or do the SIM cards have something specific in them that informs the phone which country's carrier they belong to? Just being curious

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's setup to identify US domestic carrier networks sims and it rejects them.
    It's put there by Apple and that action/agreement is put there by the particular wireless network. Sprint in this instance.

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

A Merger had nothing to do with it. They bought a nationwide 700Mhz license during an FCC spectrum auction. Part of the stipulation of buying this license was to have all phones intended for use on this band be unlocked. Google pushed for it and put on a poker face to act as if they were going to buy the spectrum.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yup, Sprint does this. Idiots.

8. wxcvbn macrumors newbie

Sprint iPhones (at least the 5C and 5S) are locked domesticaly and also internationally. I can't activate it with my french sim as i am in France.
    If you have a tip for unlocking this 5C for the international, please help me. :)

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Here's a tip. But you won't like it.

Activate your iPhone on Sprint for 90 days. Pay your bill on time. Call Sprint at the end of 90 days and ask them to unlock for international use.

But you can't do that because you're in France huh?

Your only option is a SIM interposer then. Good luck.

10. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Yep this only applies to Sprint. Just another reason not to use an iPhone on their network.

11. 869639 macrumors 6502

Hey have your tested this yet?

Is your iPhone 5S unlocked internationally? Did you have to do anything or is it already unlocked?

I'm seeing lots of hype about US Cellular iPhones on Craigslist n all. Please share thanks

12. cheso thread starter macrumors newbie

Responded in the dedicated thread