Can an iPhone Nano be in the works?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frunze, Jul 12, 2009.

1. frunze macrumors member

I know, I know, there is a copycat out there, you'll find pics in another thread in the forums here, but...

I bought a pair of earphones with mic about 3 months ago for my iPod Touch from the Apple store (so I could use Skype - the most awesome app that turns the Touch into a phone in any wi-fi location). On the back of the packaging (which I threw out, but you can pick one up and check me, keep me honest, so to speak), it says that these earphones will only work with iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPod Nano. Why would an iPod Nano ever need earphones with a microphone? It's not like you can install Skype or Truephone or Shazam on it, right? So my husband, a visionary of sorts (seriously) has also been saying for 2 years that iPhone Nano would make perfect sense for those who want a smaller device and are willing to forgo some of the conveniences of a larger screen. Maybe that's the next generation of the iPhone, a mini-me, so to speak?:confused:

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Because it has the extra button so you can control it while it's on your pocket.

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I just dont see that happening. Apple would only split their customer base not add to it in my opinion (or at least not enough to justify all the engineers they would need to create it).

6. iunnohead macrumors regular

because the iPod nano/classic have a voice recording app that works with the microphone on headphones.

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I don't think it will happen. They would have to make a whole new OS and UI. Plus the iPhone couldn't be made any thiner as it is so I don't think that making a smaller iPhone is possible without taking out major parts and funtions.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

It could be. perhaps for another network other than att

9. frunze thread starter macrumors member

I don't know; may be - but I know many people who like small light phones; also tons of people for whom iPhone is overkill, but they could use some basic functionalities and apps, such as iPod, maps, and basic internet surfing. But current iPhone users will stay, imho - no way I'd give up any of the things my phone can do. :):apple:

Right - this may be a way to start disengaging from AT&T.

10. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Interesting thought...never looked at it that way. Only one question...what would set this apart from all the other small phones? If you simply reduce functionality then why buy that over say LG, Samsung, etc. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just curious.

11. na1577 macrumors 6502a

This. There is no iPhone nano, and the note on the packaging is not a mistake.

12. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Which is, of course, what the iPhone started out as: a simple device with a few commonly needed apps.

Apple could do a smaller version with a dirt cheap data plan... or even no plan and without a web browser... for people like my wife who have no desire to surf or email on a phone, but could use basic items like Maps, Weather and Calendar.

Such a basic phone also does not have to be compatible with current apps, and so could have a smaller display.

Apple could advertise it as "We re-invent the dumbphone".

I don't think they will do this, but it's one way to expand their market.

14. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Lol nice advertising technique...but that is an excellent point if you can get that market. The problem is most of those people just go with the "free" phone with a 2 year contract. They don't really even care what brand or anything that it is (for the most part). How do you get those people to buy into this iphone unless you make it free with contract?

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't see an iPhone or touch nano device.

Why? Because of the App store. Apple will not create a touch type device be it an iPhone nano or touch nano that cannot use applications available on the App store. It would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

Also, the screen size on the current iPhone and touch are about as small as you can make it where it is still usable to browse the web, use GPS, and other functions that require screen real estate.

16. frunze thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. Plus, Apple generally isn't in a phone business, right, they're in the computer business, so I see the point.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Or not. From what analysts figure, Apple makes very little from the App Store. They probably get more from people signing up yearly for MobileMe.

Apple has removed "Computer" from their name. A lot of people think they see the iPhone as their first priority now.

Just playing devil's advocate tonight, btw, because I don't think anyone's brought up a good argument against a nano version yet. Except perhaps the point about making it cheap enough to subsidize user cost to zero. (Although that's done overseas, I believe.)

18. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I hope not lol...I'm interested in their computers!!

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

that alone is enough. I don't think that apple would ever be able to make a "free phone". It just wouldn't make much sence. What could possibly be the price for an iPhone nano? It will be above free and below $99 which just wouldn't make much sence with the 3G at $99 right now.

And how do you manage a data plan for it? You could use just as much gigs a month with one of these nano iPhones as you can with a 3G. So the data plan would be either the same as it is now or like $10 less which would make whoever is buying the nano dumb for not gong with the $99 3G.

20. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Exactly. What's the point of a nano?

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Touch to iPods, yes. But shrinking iPhone doesn't make much sense.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

23. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

why don't people realize that it is still possible to do different size screens?
    look at computers
    they all have different size and resolution screens
    If I could only play age of empires on my 15in computers and not anything else, I'd be pretty upset...wouldn't you?

the apps can be compressed...sure, there'd obviously need to be some work from the developer on changing the target areas for the button presses and stuff...but Apple could make the option of making it iPhone Nano compatiable, and devs could do this if they wish

however, I don't believe an iPhone Nano will ever happen, but I think a change in screen size/resolution will...if the iPhones still around in 2020, you don't expect it to still be 320x480 do you?

also, that isnt the smallest the screen could be to be useable...sure, it's nice, but look at other phones with the same functionalities...palm pre seems useable, and its only 3.1 in

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh. No. That's not all that this entails.

Developers would need to create two completely different applications; one with the iPhone interface and one with the iPhone nano interface.

Or they could double the size of every application by bundling both in one.

You see? It isn't happening.