Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
SNIP
Maybe that's the next generation of the iPhone, a mini-me, so to speak?:confused:

The screen of the iPhone is small enough IMO. No one is going to want to use an iPhone with a nano-type screen. It's just not going to happen, since it would almost be unusable for what the iPhone is designed for. Also, with the reduced cost of the 3G, why would anyone even want it?

nightfly

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
I think apple is more likely to create a bit bigger and faster iphone... Maybe next year they will extend the iPhone family into iPhone Pro and iPhone (which is the current 3gs)?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The screen of the iPhone is small enough IMO. No one is going to want to use an iPhone with a nano-type screen. It's just not going to happen, since it would almost be unusable for what the iPhone is designed for. Also, with the reduced cost of the 3G, why would anyone even want it?

Agreed.

Can you imaging typing on a screen significantly smaller? They just added the horizontal keyboard to dampen complaints from people having issues with the soft/vertical keyboard.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

I actually think an iphone nano could be in the works.

This is how it would work

Apple itablet media device, 8--10" touchscreen device running iphone OS, or a lean version of the OSx.

This device would HAVE A SIM card for 3G data and phone usage. I know, I know what you are thinking, I don't WANT to carry my damb tablet around with me for a phone....

well, this is where the iphone NANO would come in, it would be a COMPLIMENTARY product, just for phone, light email and some apps. It would carry a DUAL SIM like we have in the REST of the world and it would RING TO YOUR SAME number. It would essentially BE your same number.

At home, or work, you can use the media tablet and answer calls, do video conference, use a headset, bluetooth, etc.

When you go mobile, you simply take or pickup the iphone NANO instead of the larger device.

This would require the carrier AT&T to offer the dualsim technology (which is already in the network but not available) and charge an additional monthly fee, like 10$ for it.

This would be a way for AT&T to hold onto SOME sort of lock, feature lock to customers when the current AT&T contract ends next year.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I actually think an iphone nano could be in the works.

This is how it would work

Apple itablet media device, 8--10" touchscreen device running iphone OS, or a lean version of the OSx.

This device would HAVE A SIM card for 3G data and phone usage. I know, I know what you are thinking, I don't WANT to carry my damb tablet around with me for a phone....

well, this is where the iphone NANO would come in, it would be a COMPLIMENTARY product, just for phone, light email and some apps. It would carry a DUAL SIM like we have in the REST of the world and it would RING TO YOUR SAME number. It would essentially BE your same number.

At home, or work, you can use the media tablet and answer calls, do video conference, use a headset, bluetooth, etc.

When you go mobile, you simply take or pickup the iphone NANO instead of the larger device.

This would require the carrier AT&T to offer the dualsim technology (which is already in the network but not available) and charge an additional monthly fee, like 10$ for it.

This would be a way for AT&T to hold onto SOME sort of lock, feature lock to customers when the current AT&T contract ends next year.

And what would be the price of this?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
couple things

I think that a tablet like this could be 400-700$ after a revenue share with a data vendor. Maybe just a little bit more.

The phone nano would probably be 150-200$ since it would be a secondary device and the monthly for the dual sim would be 12-15$ a month. Second line, same number, shared minutes obviously.

So, I think one could get onboard with such a solution for the HW price point and keep an iphone data plan, and ADD this additional monthly AND the price of the nano.

It WOULD be some sort of premium, but it would allow some more flexibility for the user. The telco might subsidize this even more though, since the additional items, nano and dual sim would make the user more STICKY to the telco, so they would be more comfortable with lower churn.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I think Apple will be best off building a netbook.

As far as the iPhone Nano rumors go, I don't think its necassery at all. If you want a iPhone buy a 3GS for $199. If you want a cheap iPhone, buy a 3G for $99. Unless Apple wants to make a iPhone Nano for $0, there is no point.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Or not. From what analysts figure, Apple makes very little from the App Store. They probably get more from people signing up yearly for MobileMe.

I think they make a lot.

"Lightspeed Venture Partners has been crunching the numbers, trying to figure out exactly how much the company has made off the brisk app sales. Accord to the firm, the number of actual paid apps sold likely comes out in the 25-60 million range. If Apple gets a 30 percent cut of all of those apps, which sell at a median of $2.65, the company has made somewhere in the range of $20 to 45 million."

The analysts you listen to are idiots.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
more

I can't find the article yet, but I think TODAY some data came out that said apple probably had 100-150$ MM in the first six months of the year from the app store, and 2.5$B in iphone sales.

I would imagine MM spending at probably less than 50MM or more like 25MM at best.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think they make a lot.

[...snip ... Apple] has made somewhere in the range of $20 to 45 million."

The analysts you listen to are idiots.

Uh, actually they're the same analysts. :)

It's just that you think that ~ 30 million dollars gross is a lot of money to Apple.

For a year's sales, minus the cost of server farm and internet access for a billion downloads, plus employee overhead to be paid, I'd say it's not much at all.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.