Can an iphone really be bricked?????

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iLover1, Dec 4, 2010.

1. iLover1 macrumors member

i have done so many "experiments" JB and unlocking, installing, uninstalling software and different apps, I mean I did not pay for the device i found it, you know finders keepers :D.

so every time i want to do something that im not sure if i should, i just go for it, every time something goes wrong i just restore it and it works like a charm.
    Am I just getting lucky and eventually my luck will run out. Should I live the thing alone and just be normal? I have a 3G, and it probably hates me by now.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can brick the baseband and permanently turn it into an iPod Touch. But only a few people in the world know how to brick an iDevice and they have to wan to brick it. But knowing that, there is nothing you can do to make your iPhone stop working.

3. celticpride678

The chances of actually "bricking" an iDevice are very slim. There is usually always a way to fix it.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

Or theft, as it's more commonly known as.

5. Dan14 macrumors regular

As with previous comments, the only way is through the baseband and event that's pretty difficult to do. Most things are just cured through a restore. Ever wondered why it's all those :apple: "genuises" seem to do :D

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

As others have said, it is impossible to brick an iPhone. You can brick the SGold processor by interrupting a baseband update at precisely the wrong time, but the phone will still boot and all of its non-radio functions will continue to work. There is no way short of hardware failure or physical damage to brick an iPhone. Certainly there is no way to do so by any software means.

7. calvy macrumors 65816

And only one other person has pointed out what kind of a jerk you are by keeping and proudly tinkering with someone else's iphone, assuming you didn't do your due diligence to find the rightful owner.

8. iLover1, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010

iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

THEFT: In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.

FIND: come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"

Get your facts right before calling me a thief. :mad:

9. Zermelo, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

Zermelo macrumors regular

How do you brick a baseband?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_(electronics)

Looks like you're trying to describe where people update their baseband so that it can't be used with other carries other than the original. THAT IS NOT A BRICK, since it is still functioning and can be used with the original carrier.

And even if you could not use the phone, say as a phone, that is still not a brick. A brick refers to a device, hence the analogy, not a non-functioning aspect of the device.

People just mis-use the term for "It doesn't do what I want it to do." By that definition, people who don't know how to set the clocks on their DVD players or VCR's have a "bricked" their clocks. (SMH)

Here is a very nice post on another forum addressing this:

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54790

10. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Okay, you're not technically a thief. You're just untrustworthy and dishonest. A thief with a loophole. You did bring it on yourself (one by taking something that wasn't yours and keeping it, and then by bragging about it).

Don't act offended when someone calls you on it.

11. iLover1, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010

iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick tip: when i found the phone it had been restored, there was no contacts, no sim and jailbroken. I assume someone was getting ready to sell it and left it sitting on the toilet seat at the local bar.

I guess i could of gone around asking every drunk if they lost their cell phone.
    NOOOTTT!!!!!

If I was dishonest, believe me i would not have my current banker job. :cool:
    That was funny. :D

Facts my friend, facts, get them straight. :rolleyes:

12. jthomp macrumors regular

"Everyone's innocent in here. Didn't you know that?" I'm on the OP's side, but it's funny how people "claim" to be honest folk. If that were the case, then there would be no appulous (not anymnore I guess) or cracked apps. Unless you know or can prove he "stole" it, don't call anyone a thief. I see nothing wrong with what he says/did/does. My .02...

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

99% of the time it isn't, but there is always a possibility...

I bet you "found" the iPhone in the bank :rolleyes:

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You have a "banker job" and are either too cheap/can't afford/don't want to buy your own iPhone.

This IS funny

Also, in addition to the above, you're perfectly fine with an finding and keeping an outdated iPhone you found on the toilet seat of a bar :rolleyes:....a toilet seat that had some hairy dudes ass on it :p Every time you hold the phone in your hand...you're holding that dudes ass

THIS is freaking hilarious :D

Also, instead of asking all the drunks if they lost their phone, you could have simply gone to the bartender and said, "hey, I found an iPhone on the toilet and didn't feel like walking around with an assphone. Perhaps you can take this and maybe whoever owns it will come by later to claim it?" :cool:

15. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

i have nothing against finding something and keeping it, but your so called 'facts' are just not convincing.

why would anyone carry a restored iphone, with no contacts, no sims, and its already jailbroken to a bar and left it on the toilet seat? what? :confused: if it was getting ready to be sold, wouldnt there be other accessories along with it (charge cable, box perhaps?). an empty iphone is not that interesting to play with when you're on the toilet.

16. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

How about you go find the owner by owner i mean the person who actually paid for MY PHONE, not the person who left it on the toilet seat, ask him all your great questions, then report back to us. here i will even tell you where to start your quest, at the all in bar in salt lake city utah.

Perhaps you could solve the mistery of the lost Iphone

17. Zermelo macrumors regular

Just the fact that this thread had the word "assphone" in it makes it worth coming back to.

18. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

You are just jealous cause I got a free iphone :D, and the reason i did not buy an iphone its simple, i do not need it, my blackberry works perfectly fine.
    I choose to JB and unlock the Idevice and use it as MINE, because i felt like it, hairy or not it still a magnificient phone haha. I sure have no need to give you any further explanations.

19. Phil A., Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Depending on where you live, there may be a criminal offence known as "theft by finding"

20. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

:D:D:D:D:D:D Enjoy your assphone bro.

21. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

enjoying it at its max, i even got this new great app to track my phone in case I live it on the toilet seat. Im not planning on giving up my gift :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

22. Zermelo macrumors regular

I think this thread should be re-titled "Can an iPhone really be assed???"

23. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

perhaps asstolen. :D

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is very true. In many jurisdictions, you are legally required to report and surrender found property to the authorities. In most such places, if you follow the proper procedures and nobody claims the property, it will become yours after a period of time. Failure to do so makes you a thief.

And, whatever the laws in your jurisdiction, keeping things which do not belong to you without making reasonable efforts to find the owner makes you morally a thief.

25. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I just don't get why OP felt the need to tell us how he/she got their iPhone in the first place as it's completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread. Seems the OP either 1) was hoping to find validation that what he/she did was ok, or 2) knew that there were people who would think how he/she got their iPhone and just wanted to get a reaction.

A FWIW, due to the MSRP of an iPhone, theft of one can legally be considered grand larcency depending on where you live. Just ask Floyd Mayweather.