Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
This is very true. In many jurisdictions, you are legally required to report and surrender found property to the authorities. In most such places, if you follow the proper procedures and nobody claims the property, it will become yours after a period of time. Failure to do so makes you a thief.

And, whatever the laws in your jurisdiction, keeping things which do not belong to you without making reasonable efforts to find the owner makes you morally a thief.

Well then forgive me for I have sinned. I have violated an unwritten moral law, shame on me :eek: .

Here allow me to redeem my self, who wants a free iphone, i will ship it right away. :rolleyes:

I just don't get why OP felt the need to tell us how he/she got their iPhone in the first place as it's completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread. Seems the OP either 1) was hoping to find validation that what he/she did was ok, or 2) knew that there were people who would think how he/she got their iPhone and just wanted to get a reaction.

A FWIW, due to the MSRP of an iPhone, theft of one can legally be considered grand larcency depending on where you live. Just ask Floyd Mayweather.

all i wanted to know was if I should stop tinkering with the idevice, i never meant to cause any reactions, i dont need your opinionto justify my acts.

Last edited by a moderator:

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
all i wanted to know was if I should stop tinkering with the idevice, i never meant to cause any reactions, i dont need your opinionto justify my acts.

Then that's all you should have asked. No one cares how you got your iPhone, you can just ask the question and move on when you get an answer. Your status as a "macrumors member" implies that you've been on these forums enough to realize that there are plenty of members here that are going to call people out on anything that falls in the morally gray area. It's hard to believe that you thought you could write that you "found an iphone" so "finders keepers" and not get a negative reaction from some members of the community here. So knowing that, unless you're willing to concede that you're unbelievably naive, you had to have had a reason for including it as a detail.

I guess a third reason outside of my original two is that you for some reason wanted to brag (which I think technically still falls under the whole "needing validation" thing). Really weird thing to brag about though.

Barneygumble47

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
N. Ireland

Keep on bashing away at it, so what if you do cause damage to it, just check the rest of the toilet seats in Utah I'm sure you'll find another.:)

iLover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Keep on bashing away at it, so what if you do cause damage to it, just check the rest of the toilet seats in Utah I'm sure you'll find another.:)

"Check" im sorry but i have other things to do, like download a few usefull apps. :D

Then that's all you should have asked. No one cares how you got your iPhone, you can just ask the question and move on when you get an answer. Your status as a "macrumors member" implies that you've been on these forums enough to realize that there are plenty of members here that are going to call people out on anything that falls in the morally gray area. It's hard to believe that you thought you could write that you "found an iphone" so "finders keepers" and not get a negative reaction from some members of the community here. So knowing that, unless you're willing to concede that you're unbelievably naive, you had to have had a reason for including it as a detail.

I guess a third reason outside of my original two is that you for some reason wanted to brag (which I think technically still falls under the whole "needing validation" thing). Really weird thing to brag about though.

If I had the desire to brag about something, it would be my level of education, my job, my life perhaps... not about a $100.00 phone :D
If anyone feels offended about me keeping something I found then perhaps, all these people should go to church, pound on their chest and pray for my salvation.

Last edited by a moderator:

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
If I had the desire to brag about something, it would be my level of education, my job, my life perhaps... not about a $100.00 phone :D
If anyone feels offended about me keeping something I found then perhaps, all these people should go to church, pound on their chest and pray for my salvation.

Note that I've never actually made any statements of opinion on the right or wrong of you keeping the phone; my posts on this topic have purely been an inquiry as to your reasons for including that fact anyway, as I find it intriguing as to why someone would include such a contentious detail in their post when it's so irrelevant to the question they have in the first place.

I notice you've declined to answer that question. That's your prerogative. Empirically I'm inclined to believe that "seeking validation" was the reason, which was my initial theory to begin with and which I've noticed you haven't gotten.

Ok, back to work.

iLover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Note that I've never actually made any statements of opinion on the right or wrong of you keeping the phone; my posts on this topic have purely been an inquiry as to your reasons for including that fact anyway, as I find it intriguing as to why someone would include such a contentious detail in their post when it's so irrelevant to the question they have in the first place.

I notice you've declined to answer that question. That's your prerogative. Empirically I'm inclined to believe that "seeking validation" was the reason, which was my initial theory to begin with and which I've noticed you haven't gotten.

Ok, back to work.

I only mentioned that I found the device because... why am I explaining you anything? , this debate its over end of story.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
i have done so many "experiments" JB and unlocking, installing, uninstalling software and different apps, I mean I did not pay for the device i found it, you know finders keepers :D.

so every time i want to do something that im not sure if i should, i just go for it, every time something goes wrong i just restore it and it works like a charm.
Am I just getting lucky and eventually my luck will run out. Should I live the thing alone and just be normal? I have a 3G, and it probably hates me by now.

Slim Chance. Most people think there Iphone is bricked and start freaking out and there battery died or something.

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
DFU mode is really really powerful thing. Most of the time, via DFU mode, you can restore your iPhone.

iLover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
DFU mode is really really powerful thing. Most of the time, via DFU mode, you can restore your iPhone.

Could you restore via itunes if you upgraded to 6.15 baseband.

By the way I decided to stop toying with it, if for some reason I do have to put it on DFU mode, Im not sure how I would restore due to my upgraded BB. :eek:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Hi Guys I am a successful person make good money with a good job. I work at a bank so I am really honest and paid well at my job. Any way one day I was at the bar and some dude left his Iphone worth about $100 on the crapper. Well I could have tried too find the guy but finders keepers my mom always told me. Any way I have been playing with this dudes phone and I like to know if it's possible to f it up! Then I will have to spend my hard earned cash and buy a new phone. :( :rolleyes: sorry to say even you probably can't brick it even though it would make me happy. :D or I would call it Karma!

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Utah Code -- Title 76 -- Chapter 06 -- Offenses Against Property

76-6-407. Theft of lost, mislaid, or mistakenly delivered property.
A person commits theft when:
He obtains property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid, or to have been delivered under a mistake as to the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or amount of the property, without taking reasonable measures to return it to the owner.

Last edited:

iLover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
ok on a serious and more related matter:

what if i upgrade to 4.2 and also upgrade BB to 6.15 then for some reson the phone enters dfu, what then, wouldnt that brick it, cause i would have to restore via itunes, wait thats why they made tiny umbrella :rolleyes: .

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Google is your friend and will answer things regardless if it's stolen or barrowed long term. Or what you want to describe. You said you have jb many times so it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
If I was dishonest, believe me i would not have my current banker job. :cool:
That was funny. :D

Facts my friend, facts, get them straight. :rolleyes:

You found the phone, OK. BUT you do not have the owners permission to keep it. So by the definition you provided - your a thief and if I was in your business I would not mess with Karma ;)

In my eyes you are pretty :rolleyes: and that makes me feel :( for your parents. Maybe your just a little :confused: and your :) being :rolleyes:

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
You found the phone, OK. BUT you do not have the owners permission to keep it. So by the definition you provided - your a thief and if I was in your business I would not mess with Karma ;)

In my eyes you are pretty :rolleyes: and that makes me feel :( for your parents. Maybe your just a little :confused: and your :) being :rolleyes:

Not only that, but has anyone bothered to point out that there's absolutely no sense in equating a banker with honesty? Banks and the financial industry in general haven't exactly been shining examples of ethical behavior in recent years. At worst, that statement damaged the OP's credibility. At best, it did nothing to improve it.

iLover1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Im done with these thread, I got a few warnings thanks to this ongoing debate.

To the guy who mentions my parents, I just wish that you still have yours alive, :( .

No further comments.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Yes, my parents are well, thanks for asking. I wish you the best for your future. Think about how your todays actions determine your future. It is not to late to return the phone or to give it to a fund office.

Chanimal

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
Well, this is good to know, but what I am experiencing, it certainly feels like it is "brick'd" to me. I have a 3GS, used redsn0w to upgrade and jailbreak into 4.2.1 with ipad BB upgrade, but now I am stuck at the "Restore mode" where the display shows the itunes logo and the USB plug-in. Tried restoring many different ways, and kept getting errors, 21, 1600, you name it. And I can't restore via DFU mode neither. If it is so hard to brick, how can I get it back to booting correctly and working again? Can anyone give me some suggestions or help me out here?? Thanks in advance!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i find it funny the OP still insists on asking the question even though every response is pretty much calling them out for stealing the iphone they are looking for help with

who cares if you brick the phone dont you recall you didnt pay for it so who cares, if you brick it you can steal another one

PS. did you say "yoinks" as you put the stolen phone in your pocket?

yoinks is my all time favorite stealing sound effect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.