Can anyone give a quick Invisible Shield review??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing great.

My dad just ordered 4 invisible shields last night for the iPhone 3G obviously (2 for me and him, 2 for family friends) and i just wanted to know a few things about them:

How do they hold up? Are any first gen iphone users still using theres after a year?

Also is it easy to install?
    I saw an installation video of it for the 3G and the parts around the bezel/chrome of the phone looks hard. Is it easy and any tips?

Thanks guys!

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I bet if you use the search tool, you'd find at least a dozen threads on them. :)

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Inferior product.

It is easy to install.

Doesn't offer enough coverage.

Bad, Bad customer service.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

I sent mine back for a refund and ordered the FullBodyFilms instead
    The invisible shield was hard to apply around the corners, and left bubbles around the corners as well. Many other people have also said similar things

on the iLounge review of 3 full protectors, IS came last, with FullBodyFilms coming first

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

BTW, fullbodyfilms is a bodyguardz back and a crystal front. If im not mistaken.

7. err404 macrumors 68020

I put one on my 3G the other day, and let me tell you, they can be a real pain to install.
    After spending the better part of an evening installing it, I did manage to get it on and it looks pretty good. As for long term durability, I am concerned that the corners will lift up over time.

On a side note, I wouldn't bother with the front protection. The rubbery material feels too tacky on the screen, making it hard to slide your finger. It's also not a smooth material and imperfections in the material itself distort the screen. There are better screen only solutions that will work well with the IS back.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone with fullbodyfilms.

8. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Unless you get lucky the very first time, you'll need 2 of them to get it right. The trickiest part is lining up all the holes and flaps just right, followed closely by getting the amount of fluid just right. Next in difficulty is getting the flaps down smoothly and evenly. Getting out all the bubbles isn't all that tough, but do that part before "tacking down" the corners/flaps. Remember that the fluid included with the kit is perfect for the job, but by necessity it dries VERY quickly after contact with the air, and dry fingers will cause wrinkles which may not smooth back out. Spray them fingers! You can believe what they say about being able to remove the thing and realign it if YOU want, but in practice, once it's on, it's unlikely to come off and go back on a second time and look pristine. I actually did pretty well on my 3G iPhone, but not well enough for my own worst critic, and I really didn't like the the feel of the thing anyway. Finally, I never even tried the part that goes on the screen. I have a Power Support anti-glare on mine, and it's THE STUFF. I can't imagine that rubbery thing on my nice screen. Good luck be grateful in advance for Zagg's liberal return policy. :eek:

9. View macrumors regular

It's a pain in the a$$ to apply.
    I had it on my first gen for about 6 months, at around 6th month, it started to peel off a little so I called in and paid $3 for a replacement (shipping cost).

The first gen was A LOT easier to apply than the one for the 3G.
    It took me a while to get it right, and it still is not perfect.

I've heard that BodyGuardz was a lot better as it doesn't have as much texture as the InvisibleShield.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes it is, but its cheaper than them put together and sold as a different product, and therefore separate from bodyguardz (although iLounge say the bodyguardz is just about as good)

11. err404 macrumors 68020

I found the amount of fluid to be insufficient for the job and lead to poor results (bubbles and alignment). I removed the shield and started over by dipping the already used shield into a bowl of windex*. This removed all dust and worked as the fluid to re-apply the shield. This worked very well and left absolutely no bubbles or wrinkles and made the alignment very easy. I aligned the main piece and then let it sit for 10 mins until the back stopped sliding. I was then able to do the corners.

I have had some trouble with one corner lifting up a bit were it covers the chrome. I check it a few times a day and push it back down. It is sticking better over time.

*This is NOT a recommendation to use windex. If I had it do again, I would pour the spray into a dish and dipped into that. I do not know if the windex will have an negative impact on the plastic. (this didn't cross my mind until after it was done it)

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You don't want to know what I know, do you? IS would have to give me and my friends IS for life and refund our money X 10, then I could give them a C- review or -2 Stars. :mad:

13. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Well tell us what u know. <wink>

14. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

<falls asleep>

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, but I PM'd you. Was busy catering to my Bun-Bun (Hotoe Bunny Rabbit) she was wanting to run-about the house...:p

16. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Read and replied.

17. junkmailbonzai macrumors member

I like IS

I have put on an IS on a 2G and 3G phone and a mac book pro and yes it was difficult but I think it was worth it. I really like the way they look and feel and they are holding up really well. I also put one on my wife's Sony Ericson phone and she loves it. I will probably continue to buy IS for my future toys.

18. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn lotta bad reviews.

we'll see how it is, if it doesn't work out ill look in to bodyfilms or w.e

19. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

It stinks!! I bought one for my white 16g and I have been using them for the last 3 years on all my phones. ONE issue is that I have never had a WHITE phone before. The entire back was yellowing within 2 weeks!! Took it off and installed a BSE, I guess time will tell if that happens again, other then that great product!:mad:

20. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

Just get the Power Support Anti-Glare film....

It's so much easier to apply, and if you do it wrong, you can just wash it off, as it doesn't use adhesive, but static cling. I applied mine yesterday, took 1 minute and it looks perfect.

21. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I second the bse best skins ever. They have great customer service, cheap skins and the work great. I am going to do a full review on it later

22. mephiska macrumors newbie

InvisibleSHIELD = awful!

I sent mine back, I was very unhappy with it.

The back didn't fit quite right, the tabs for the corners was a little agressive and even setting things so they wouldn't overlap caused bubbles.

The front was that absolute WORST! The material has thin lines in it that cause a very annoying prism effect on the LCD screen. It is particularly bad on gray/white backgrounds (email screens) and when watching video.

Also, the tacky material ruins the whole touch screen experience. You can't drag your finger across stuff, it skips across the screen. And it just feels a bit gross to me in general, doesn't slide easily into my pocket, gets caught up on stuff. I was able to send mine back for a return in time because I was so unhappy with it early on.

I ordered the one from full body skins. I have a similar clear static skin on my wife's iPod touch that we're happy with.

They have a 30 day return policy, but be CAREFUL! They consider 30 days to begin from your ORDER DATE! With the time it took them to ship me mine (12 days!), that really only leaves you with 18 days to evaluate the product. They really should consider the 30 day evaluation to begin from ship date + 2 or something reasonable.

23. klymr macrumors 65816

I keep telling people, buy from bestskinsever.com. They are like 1/3 the price (full iPhone is $7.99) and I personally think they cover the iPhones better than the IS do. They are made of the exact same material too! My first one on my iPhone has lasted 6 months, and I'm replacing it only because the edges are peeling because I've never put one on anything.

I have a BestSkinsEver on my 80GB Video iPod and now my Nano, as well as my mom's 80GB iPod and all of them are still holding up strong. I've had the one on my 80GB for 4 months at least and it still looks new. For $7-8 I can afford to replace it if I need to.

I should also mention that I have never seen this prism affect with any of my devices, unless you count while wearing polarizing sunglasses, which cause most plastics to do that.

24. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I got mine in the mall at King of Prussia. The invisishield kiosk was right across from the Apple store. For an extra 9.95 they installed the shield for u. And they did a perfect job. And it had been incredible so far But it does look very difficult to install by yourself.