Can Anyone Help Me - Charging problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Catutti, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Catutti macrumors newbie

Apologies if this problem has been posted before and take it easy with me - Me and my Macbook Pro are new to the forum. I've just bought a Macbook Pro 8, 13" (made early 2011 I think) and it has got an annoying fault. First time I have ever had an Apple product and it's driving me nuts.
    I put the magsafe charger onto the computer and nothing - no lights or anything. I take the lead off the battery - yes I know it's a fixed in battery but desperation drives a girl to desperate measures - and the green light comes on the magsafe. I then connect the battery and it goes amber and starts to charge. The icon on the screen shows it charging as well. Take the magsafe off and put it on again and nothing, no light, no charging up. Does anyone know what's goin' on.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

So just to confirm:

- The system will boot up into OS X while on mains power?
    - The system will shut off immediately after disconnecting the MagSafe: or, you shut it down and it won't boot up on battery power only, even if it shows as fully charged?

3. Catutti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. It will run off battery fine even though there is no light on the magsafe - if there is obviously charge in the battery. Boots up OK, no problem. If I plug in the magsafe, there is no light or charging at all. So then what I have to do is shut down, disconnect he battery, put the magsafe in and the light will show green, then I can plug the battery connector back in and the magsafe turns amber and battery is being charged, system boots up fine, charger symbol reads OK. Frustrating......

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

5. Catutti, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

Catutti thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've managed to do a SMC reset with no change
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the link. I have taken the thing to bits - I followed instructions from someone on the internet so feel as though I am able to replace the board you mention - and if it's as cheap as you say then it's worth a go. Is the feeling that it definitely an hardware fault and not something to do with a corrupt OS. Will defo look for the part on E-Bay though.
    Do I need to look for a specific one or are they a part that has been used in numerous Macbooks?

6. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

It's the same for 2009-2012 13" MBPs. Here's new ones and compatibility from iFixit if you don't like used parts,

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...y-Model-A1278-MagSafe-DC-In-Board/IF163-011-1

7. Catutti thread starter macrumors newbie

How lucky is that? Just ordered one - exact same serial number from a place about 10 miles from me - £4.46 (sorry, don't know what that is in $'s) At least it will rule that out if it doesn't work
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    I may be back in a couple of days if it doesn't work. Thanks for the help anyhow.

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

That's awesome! Still cheap. Probably the cost of a latte!

9. Catutti thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it was a nice thought - that replacing the MagSafe DC board would cure the problem, but I'm afraid it didn't. Still the same fault. I've looked at the battery condition and cycle count is only about 200 and all the other data is normal so the search goes on for a cure. Any more ideas most welcome

10. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

That's too bad.

Maybe you have a faulty battery?

If you bought the MBP used, perhaps the previous owner replaced it with a bad knockoff battery.

11. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Watched a video that might apply to your situation,