Can Anyone Recommend an INSECT REPELLENT that ISN’T HARMFUL?

SuperDuperMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
Hi all,

So I’ve recently moved to the south east just a few hours north of Atlanta and the amount of mosquitoes and bites I’ve gotten each evening is insane. Maybe I’m getting bitten during other hours of the day but in the evening is when I feel the in me for sure when I’m outside.

Coming from the west coast I would not want to get bitten at all and I like to scratch bites but anyhow, I feel I can’t use those deet insect repellent products long term. I used them once like ten years ago and felt ‘off’ from using them daily during a trip to Africa way back when.

But I’m left wondering if deet products are popular because they are the most effective. Surely there must be something out there on the market that is if not just as effective and won’t break the bank.

One thing is for sure, these mosquito bites have got to go.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Hi all,

So I’ve recently moved to the south east just a few hours north of Atlanta and the amount of mosquitoes and bites I’ve gotten each evening is insane. Maybe I’m getting bitten during other hours of the day but in the evening is when I feel the in me for sure when I’m outside.

Coming from the west coast I would not want to get bitten at all and I like to scratch bites but anyhow, I feel I can’t use those deet insect repellent products long term. I used them once like ten years ago and felt ‘off’ from using them daily during a trip to Africa way back when.

But I’m left wondering if deet products are popular because they are the most effective. Surely there must be something out there on the market that is if not just as effective and won’t break the bank.

welcome to the south.

Deet works well for skin and is widely regarded as safe to use. If you’re in the woods it also helps prevent tick bites which can be worse. If you’re going hiking or camping, you can buy permithrin spray or pre-treated permithrin clothing. Basically, higher risks from mosquitoes/ ticks than from deet exposure.

In your back yard, citronella candles keep most flying things away.

After the fact you’ve got good old hand sanitizer that will help relieve the itch if you have that handy as well as a hydrocortisone/ Benadryl cream. There’s also a product called “AfterBite” which helps.

Reactions: cdcastillo

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Hi all,

You could research some essential oils like catnip to at least diffuse around your place, the mosquitoes don’t like that mint and possibly a skin coating or spray of it for yourself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Hi all,

There is a superb British company that makes totally natural (based on citronella) mosquito repellant and insect discouraging - products, sprays (like eau du cologne) and creams that double as moisturisers.

The company is called Al Fresco, and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I use their products when working or travelling abroad - they work superbly and are totally natural (no deet), and can attest to the fact that they work exceptionally well (and I am someone who is considered very attractive to mosquitoes).

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
In my opinion mosquito control is the best first step as a repellent. If your community doesn’t have one or you’re out of their control district then good luck.

Mosquito larvae can hatch from a tablespoon of water in seven to ten days so that demonstrates the challenge they face.

Make the yard less mosquito friendly by removing debris that collect/hold water and maintain short vegetation which the critters like to rest in. And unfortunately they are active in the evening so minimize your exposure during those times.

Last edited:

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Hi all,

Here is some natural repellents.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=catnip+oil+mosquito+repellent&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2K3rBRDiARIsAOFSW_4QH7hpioRLIAtDFra-xxDjQbasPlGJrRG0BMHCRYvQJE10NkdTZbEaAlHMEALw_wcB&hvadid=177780756209&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9003338&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4348490042498067239&hvtargid=kwd-100851494&hydadcr=21666_9710787&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8b06q2wd5n_b

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi all,

https://www.popsci.com/article/science/deet-safe-use/

There are no-Deet bug repellent sprays, but I’m not familiar with them.

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm afraid THAT I CANNOT, but it seems as though you HAVE GOTTEN A FEW SUGGESTIONS.
Dr Frankenstein: "Werewolf"
Igor: "There wolf", points. "There Castle." Points different direction.
Dr Frankenstein: "Why are you talking that way?"

I love me some Good DEEEEEET repellant!

Reactions: AngerDanger

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I don't bother with chemical repellent. I use one of those cheap-o, bug zapper rackets. It give off a satisfying *zap* *bzzz* *pop*.:cool: It also lets me work on my backhand.:p A few minutes of exercise and I have carved myself a bug free zone for a good hour or so.

I always have a couple of bug zapper rackets outside my backdoor. Just this morning I added 20 more the pile of carcasses in my patio kill zone. I've tried those UV light bug zappers, but they're ineffectual against skeeters. They killed hundreds of moths and other flying critters, but no skeeters.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Passed by just to recommend citronella, but there are lots of useful suggestions here already.
Agreed.

The main active ingredient in the Al Fresco products is citronella.

However, if your preference is for a natural anti-insect, or anti-mosquito, repellant (or discouragement), citronella is superb, and totally effective.

In a carrier oil, it could be applied (with considerable success) to one's pulse points to deter the winged menaces.

Even citronella candles work well in this context.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
inter-prandial
... I've tried those UV light bug zappers, but they're ineffectual against skeeters. They killed hundreds of moths and other flying critters, but no skeeters.
I think you'll need a CO2 trap for skeeters.

I googled mosquito trap and this came up as the top hit:
https://www.mosquito.org/page/traps

I also see near-top hits for some DIY traps that use yeast to produce the CO2 attractant. I've heard of that trick before, but I don't know how well it works. If you let it go long enough, you'll get a nice skeeter-brew that could rival moonshine.

I imagine you could ask @AngerDanger how to DIY a Zippo lighter with one of the zapper-racquets (since flames emit CO2, the Zippo is the attractant).

Last edited:

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Agreed.

The main active ingredient in the Al Fresco products is citronella.

However, if your preference is for a natural anti-insect, or anti-mosquito, repellant (or discouragement), citronella is superb, and totally effective.

In a carrier oil, it could be applied (with considerable success) to one's pulse points to deter the winged menaces.

Even citronella candles work well in this context.
Yes and carrier oil for the catnip too if used for application.

someoldguy

macrumors 68000
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Repel plant based lemon eucalyptus insect repellent . Try Target , Walmart , or REI.. Seems to work pretty well , but you end up smelling like a produce stand .