Can anyone tether on 8.1.1 & 8.1.2? I can't.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marker227, Dec 4, 2014.

1. marker227 macrumors 6502

I just realized that I am unable to tether my Nokia Asha 302 to my iPod Touch anymore. I checked my AT&T data plan and it looks like I stopped tethering on the 16th of November. That was 1 day before 8.1.1 came out.

The iPod will say "Connected" then immediately change to "Not Connected". I can't connect to the phone nor can I connect the phone to the iPod.

Has anyone been able to tether their iPod Touch to a phone since the update? This is a very important feature I use and it'd be a shame if I wasn't able to continue to use it.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The iPod is just connecting to the WiFi hotspot created by the phone, so my guess is that AT&T did something weird to your Nokia and broke tethering. I don't think that the iPod would be affected by an update.

On my iPhone (8.1.1 is my current version, 8.1.2 sounds like the beta) tethering my laptop works as well as it always has. I don't have an iPod on iOS 8 so I can't check for you.

3. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

The iPod does not connect to my phone via Wifi. My phone does not have Wifi or a Wifi tethering plan.

I checked my plan and have tried two different Nokia phones. Neither of those have changed.

4. PhilHeron macrumors newbie

I often tether my iPod to my Nokia C3-01 over Bluetooth.
    Just tried it now, and like you, the connection was established and immediately dropped.
    I removed the pairing (from the iPod) and set up a new one. It works again!

5. marker227, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

What software are you running on your iPod please?

Did pair it from the iPod to the phone?

I also have a Nokia C3. I've tried that phone and my Asha.

6. Babygirl14 macrumors newbie

7. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. PhilHeron macrumors newbie

I went into the Bluetooth settings on my iPod and chose "Forget This Device" on the pairing with my C3.
    Then I turned on Bluetooth on my phone and connected to it from my iPod then accepted the pairing on my phone.
    I'm running iOs 8.1.1 on my iPod.

9. marker227, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

I just tried that. This is really frustrating... Mine instantly disconnects after pairing.

I have no clue how to fix this!

It has to be the iPod. I tried 2 different C3's (one was never opened and bought years ago). I tried my Asha 302. They all connect and then disconnect instantly. Oh, and I tried connecting with and without a sim card in the phone too. Nothing...

Maybe it's my network settings in my phone?

The only time I had this problem was when AT&T blocked data to stop me from occurring more overages since I was once on a pay per MB plan. When they took that block off, my iPod was able to tether again. This happened months ago and I've been tethering ever since.

10. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got another Nokia phone. C2-01.5.

Same issue. It tethers for a second and then it disconnects.

I'm really stumped. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Phil, I'm wondering if my settings are wrong and that's why it wont' stay connected. What are your settings?

11. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

you do have tethering ?

no matter how hard you try you cannot connect your iPod to any wifi device that has tethering???

things to try
    -----
    forget the wifi network and try to connect again

forget the bluetooth device

sometimes a " math error " can prevent a WPA client from connecting to an access point. try the "hash" instead. go to https://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html and give it your SSID and your WPA password. it will spit out the 504 bit PSK that is used for connecting to the access point. copy and paste that and see if that solves the problem. this can actually happen.

erase network settings.

erase all content and settings

dfu the iPod

if none of that works, I'm stumped

maybe the lpod is defective and it needs to be replaced. ( apple charges $99 to swap out any iPod touch - except for 64 gb, then its $199)

12. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried "Forget this network". By the way, I'm not using WiFi, I keep that turned off when I tether via Bluetooth.

This iPod is not that old and I've been using it to tether for quite a while. I tried restoring it to a fresh copy. Still no luck.

I tried teetering to an iPad Air and that also did not work.. It used to in the past.

So, I've tried 2 different IOS devices, and 3 different cell phones all of which I know will tether.

I'm completely stumped.

13. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

You could call AT&T and ask about tethering. If you tried 2 different iOS devices and 3 different phones then it could be that AT&T has a glitch.

Are you tethering or pairing? Tethering is using the phone's internet from another device and won't work without a sim card (as far as I know). Pairing is a direct connection over bluetooth and it is very wonky for iOS devices because they only have the network and audio part and the rest is limited. Pairing my phone and computer will connect and then disconnect. If I tell it to use internet over bluetooth, it connects and stays connected.

Could you quickly try if it will work over WiFi? Then you can see if AT&T still gives you tethering.

14. marker227, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

I'm not actually using "tethering". I'm simply sharing my internet connection via Bluetooth from my Nokia to my iPod. AT&T doesn't even offer this as a service. So, they have no idea how to troubleshoot it. Not to mention the Nokia isn't an AT&T branded phone. They always tell me to call Nokia for issues and I end up getting no where.

I tried connecting my phone to my iPod without the sim via pairing (with Bluetooth) to see if it's my service provider that is causing the drop in connection, or if it's simply one of my devices that is being glitchy.

I always paired both devices and then went to the iPod and simply selected "Nokia 302" under Bluetooth. The two devices would simply just start sharing the internet. I don't use WiFi.

This issue started up in November and I've tried just about every combination so far.. I really wonder if it's because of something on AT&T's end, but that would mean I wouldn't get any data in general, which I do get.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Are you really attached to that phone?

You can probably get a used iPhone 4s or even 5 for not all that much money. Not only will it allow you to combine both devices into one, but you won't have this issue anymore as the Internet access is built in. :)

I really don't have advice to solving your problem; Bluetooth tethering has always been iffy which is why I don't use it anymore.

16. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Yes you are. Most devices tether (share the internet) over WiFi but you can also use bluetooth and USB.

If AT&T did something to your account this would explain your issue. AT&T does't care how you tether, they see you tethering from their end no matter how you connect.

You do have data, but it cannot get to your iPod no matter which phone you use. You could also try phone to phone and see if you get internet that way. I think it is an AT&T issue with tethering.

17. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, you are right. The iPod will pair and it will connect, but a second later it disconnects. I only saw this one time and it was because AT&T put a data block on my account after they noticed I didn't have unlimited data and was going over my monthly limit by A LOT. Obviously that was in the past and I don't have a block anymore...

I still don't know what else to do as far as troubleshooting goes. Maybe I can ask AT&T to reset my account?

Yes, I am. It's not the phone I'm attached to, it's the type of phone. It's a dumb phone so it doesn't require a $30 monthly data plan. Instead it can have a cheaper, but unlimited data plan. Smartphones do not offer unlimited data for the price I am paying per month. So, I'm taking advantage of the unlimited monthly plan I'm on.

18. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Marker,

Why do you feel that AT&T didn't didn't figure out your workaround and disable tethering on your account?

19. marker227, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

I can still tether excluding IOS devices. If my data was blocked, I wouldn't be able to tether at all. My data was blocked in the past, but not because of tethering. I turned off my data plan to save money and didn't realize I was still using data for a limited amount of time. Needless to say they blocked my data and called me to let me know my bill had skyrocketed. That's the only time I've seen my iPod disconnect from my phone like this.

There is no enable/disable tethering on a non-smart phone account plan. They simply don't offer it. The most they can do is shut off your data.

Also, I tried paring without a sim card to see if that would have been an issue. No change in the problem. The phone and iPod will pair/tether for a second and then ultimately loose connection.

I've been trying to isolate the problem to either a specific device, or my AT&T account. Nothing at all is raising red flags.

20. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone else have some information they could add that may help me out?

21. marker227, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

I still can't figure this out.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Is it possible that I setup my Nokia wrong with the internet access point, etc.?

I just called AT&T and they confirmed nothing was adjusted on my account and I still have data enabled.

22. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I can share internet from my iPhone to my old Nexus phone using just bluetooth so assuming that your iPod is not doing something odd it should still work. I'm using 8.1.3 firmware currently.

If you are sure that you can still tether, then somehow the iPod is not seeing the internet through the bluetooth connection. In my experience, Apple devices (iOS in this case) will refuse a simple bluetooth connection unless you use it for something directly (contact sharing, internet sharing, headset, etc.). On my Nexus it will only connect over bluetooth if I am trying to share internet. It will not connect if I just want to pair it. This also happens on iOS to iOS connections when I tried it with an iPhone to a iPad and iPhone to a Mac. Somehow your Nokia is not saying that it wants to share internet, and the iPod is refusing the connection outright because it will never just pair to a device.
    • You could reset the iPod network settings and Nokia network settings. Since your Nokia to iPod link worked before, it should still work.
    • You could get a Moto G or E (around $100 new) and just use that device. This will not change your monthly rate since you are not getting a phone on credit.
    • Finally, you could go to an AT&T store and see if they could help you out, as they likely know all the common ways things refuse to work.

Hope that helps.

23. marker227, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

Here's what I can tell you so far about the troubleshooting I've done.

1. I've tried to pair via Bluetooth two Nokia C3's (yes, 2) to my iPod Touch. They pair successfully, but do not stay "connected" when I try to share internet.

2. I've tried to pair my Noka 302 (current phone) via Bluetooth to my iPod Touch. Both devices will pair successfully, but immediately start and drop connection when I hit "Nokia 302" from the Bluetooth Menu on the iPod Touch.

3. I've tried to pair 2 different generation iPads. One latest gen and one first gen model. They both will pair and will experience the same issue. Both will connect for 2 seconds and then immediately drop Bluetooth connection. Both iPads have shared internet with ALL of these same phones in the past.

4. I've done a factory restore on the iPod Touch and tried paring while the device was completely fresh with no additional user content on it.

5. Factory reset was also performed on all the Nokia phones. Before reset was done, I attempted all the troubleshooting steps listed before you.

6. Called AT&T multiple times. They can't offer anymore support because it's not a supported issue. They simply don't understand why the devices in question will not share the internet when it was doing it in the past.

7. All Nokia phones will successfully pair and connect via Bluetooth to my Windows laptop AND share internet that way.

I don't know what purchasing a Moto G or E would help me in this situation. Are you suggesting that will tether to an IOS device and I should swap it with my Nokia? If so, that phone is a full Android phone. I will incur a "Smart Phone" data plan should I use a real smart phone. I only keep my Nokia because it's listed as a "Non-Smart Phone" and therefor has a cheaper unlimited data plan.

Really, the only end goal here that I want is the ability to share internet with my IOS device again. It was incredibly convenient to use while in the car!

I can still share internet over Bluetooth or a USB cable (faster speed with cable) to any laptop using the Nokia Ovi Suite. Thankfully this is still an option for me. Unfortunately for me, nothing in the tablet world comes close to IOS.

I suppose I could try reformatting my Nokia phone again, but I just don't see the point... It DOES tether, just not to an IOS device anymore.

You mentioned I should reset my network settings on my iPod. Would that have been refreshed when I did a factory restore?

I'm at the point where I'd literally pay someone if they were able to successfully FIX this issue for me.

24. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I don't know what to tell you. In my experience my Nexus phone has a separate internet sharing toggle that needs to be checked before my iPhone will keep a bluetooth connection. Similarly, iOS to iOS pairing will connect then disconnect unless one of the devices has bluetooth hotspot sharing turned on. So I think that your Nokia is not pairing in a way the iPod expects. This might be a iOS issue, but it has worked for so long that I have no idea whats wrong, especially if you reset everything and AT&T can't help.

Doesn't your plan allow you to use your own device? I have a non-iPhone plan to save on my bill and got an unlocked iPhone instead. I assumed that you could get one of the moto G or E phones as they are $100-$150 unlocked so that you could either replace the iPod or both devices and not change your plan. Unless AT&T will block you swapping your sim. It isn't an ideal solution, but it would work as you don't have issues with other devices.

Sorry that I can't give you any more help.

25. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

You have an iPhone Unlocked with a non-iPhone data plan? How long have you been doing that? You do realize AT&T will eventually find out you have an iPhone and change your data plan. They know this because of the IMEI. I don't know if I want to do something that would surely get me caught.

The other problem I mentioned is that if it's NOT a Nokia phone, I can not tether to a laptop via USB cable. That's a big problem for me.