Can Apple bump 2G/3G Clock speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djdsas, May 22, 2009.

1. djdsas macrumors member

With 3.0 coming soon, and all the talk about the next generation faster processor running @ 600mhz, can Apple bump the current 412mhz up
    a bit to make iphone 3.0 run a bit faster? I understand this would
    hurt battery life a little but I am willing to trade a little bit of battery
    for a slight increase in performance if 3.0 is too much for 2g/3g model.

Does anyone think Apple will do this?

Thanks for replying!

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Will they? 100% no. What are you thinking?

Is it possible? Probably. The chips are underclocked right now.

4. djdsas thread starter macrumors member

Why not? Haven''t they tweaked the clock up a little in the past?

5. djdsas thread starter macrumors member

For those that are already running 3.0 beta, how does it feel?

Do you think Apple will be able to optimize it enough for 2g/3g models

to not be sluggish? I want my 3G 3.0 to be snappy!

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Those "reports" are based on pure speculation, as both the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G have a 600MHZ processor clocked to around 400MHZ.

It's clocked down probably to extend battery life.

Yes originally was around 400, and then they increased to around 412 or so.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115256-233.html

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They won't give you a free upgrade to better-performing hardware. They won't upclock.

8. sd2009 macrumors 6502

I'd prefer an extra 200mhz at the cost of battery life.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

That's the problem though... Apple doesn't like to give unnecessary choices. After all, Apple knows best :rolleyes:

10. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Hmm...would it be possible to manually increase the clock speeds via some sort of "breaking" out of the iPhone "jail", if you will?

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great idea, overclock it so you'd have to charge it every 15 minutes.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Actually, as it is now, the iPhone's processor is underclocked. So, increasing the processor speed would not be overclocking it. As for battery life, couldn't firmware optimization improve battery life at higher clock speeds? I don't think Apple would put a more expensive, higher speed processor in the new iPhone only to underclock it to speeds the current, cheaper CPU can already achieve. Why wouldn't Apple just stay with current cheaper CPU and just not underclock it (unless there is a totally new more energy efficient processor out there at reasonable prices)?

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Apple has adjusted the clock speeds before in software updates. They're only minor changes though. I heard that 3.0 runs faster than 2.x (they just need to fix all the memory leaks). I don't think they'll mess with the clock speeds in 3.0, but I could be wrong.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

A free update is also a free update for them. In other words, putting new, more expensive hardware into the new iPhone will cut into their profit margins (assuming they are not going to raise the price of the new phone). If Apple can get away with a firmware upgrade (instead of purchasing new hardware), they will. The more new hardware they place on the new iPhone, the lower their profit margin will be (assuming no change in price levels).

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Look, I highly doubt that Apple will release 3.0 and have it run like a pile of crap on the 3G or 2G. Just relax and don't make any assumptions based on the betas, they're betas for a reason.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I thought this was more or less proven? The 2G iPod touch uses the same processor clocked faster (or rather, underclocked less) and thus offers snappier performance than either the first gen iPhone/iPod touch or the iPhone 3G.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, but it won't affect either the iPhone 2G or iPhone 3G at all. If they use the same chip and have it at the standard clock speed, it will be in the third iPhone.

19. sd2009 macrumors 6502

I was actually a major "hater" of the first few betas (while others were screaming about their awesomeness) because of how unstable they were, but beta 5 has been great with me. Far from perfect, but still pretty damn good. No major sluggishness in my experience.

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Good luck with that. The latest beta is horribly slow and unresponsive. I'd be happy to post a video showing my iPhone 3G (OS 3.0) and my iPod touch (2.2.1) running side by side, but the difference is absolutely night and day. Games take forever to load and the framerate is AWFUL, the Settings app takes three or four seconds to load, and another three or four seconds to select a menu item. So it takes, every time, at least eight seconds to do something as simple as toggle wifi. Now, eight seconds might not sound like a big deal, but in practice it really is. I can perform the same task on my iPod in about about half the time it takes on the iPhone. Half! Performance is awful throughout the OS. Even doing something as simple as scrolling through a gallery in the Photos app - on the iPod it's smooth as silk. On the iPhone it stutters - quite noticeably - when I scroll through the same gallery.

At least on the iPhone 3G, OS 3.0's performance is HORRIBLE.

Note: I realize that this is beta software. I really do. It doesn't change the fact that OS3.0's performance on year-old hardware is absolutely AWFUL. While I hope that they will correct some of the speed issues by the time 3.0 is publicly released, I think that anyone expecting great or even good performance is deluding themselves. The iPhone 3G simply does not have the power (CPU/RAM) to keep up with the OS now, to say nothing of games and other apps. The iPod touch (2G) will fare better, but that's because the performance difference is, as I said earlier, absolutely night and day. I'd be happy to put a YouTube video up in the next day or two to prove this, if anyone is interested.

21. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

If your Ipod Touch is second gen version, the difference in performance could simply be that it has faster hardware than Iphone 3G, rather than OS difference. Then again, four seconds to load setting screen sounds terrible and much slower than my 1st gen 2.2.1 Touch, which has more or less same hardware speed as Iphones, so maybe it is partly an OS sluggishness issue. It takes ~2 seconds to load setting screen on my Touch, and I have three Apps settings lodged in there as well (which I wish I could remove btw).

22. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Someone needs to make a JB app that allows you to tweek your processor.

23. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

iPod touch runs at 523 mhz

It is much faster at opening apps and frame rates are better.

24. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

actually overclocking is an easter egg in itunes, i've using it since day one :D

Attached Files:

25. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

hhahaha 3 ghz