Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I replaced the screen of my wife's iphine5 with one from ifixit. It was out of warranty. I recently had them replace the battery under the recall program.

I'm sure they coul tell it wasn't an apple srcreen, but they didn't care. Replaced the battery and I'm as good as new.

MHenr

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Third party repair store hardly use gorilla glass, so even if the job is accurately done, they can tell the difference

Even though I agree with the gorilla glass, it's almost impossible to tell when you're just looking at it. I doubt they'll scratch test it to see if it is gorilla glass or not.

I have had a 3G and 4 with aftermarket replaced screens that looked/felt/performed just as well as the genuine ones.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I had my screen replaced after smashing it, ans then I got a dead pixel around two months later. Apple replaced the screen, as I prefered not to have a new iPad and they did not notice.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Isn't the big question why do you believe apple should cover the repair given what you have done to the phone?

These types of things are what ultimately impact genuine warranty claims.
harsh - yes, but i had to jump through hoops for an issue over water ingress because lots of people had abused the system.

Reactions: jhearty99

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I replaced the screen of my wife's iphine5 with one from ifixit. It was out of warranty. I recently had them replace the battery under the recall program.

I'm sure they coul tell it wasn't an apple srcreen, but they didn't care. Replaced the battery and I'm as good as new.
as it wasn't under warranty, does it matter if it was replaced by a third party?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
as it wasn't under warranty, does it matter if it was replaced by a third party?

It only matters if (a) you somehow managed to convince the person you are talking to that they don't want to help you, or (b) if the third party repair is responsible for other damage.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It only matters if (a) you somehow managed to convince the person you are talking to that they don't want to help you, or (b) if the third party repair is responsible for other damage.

No, simply opening the unit technically voids the warranty unless it's done by Apple.

For the OP to go unnoticed, the third party screen and the repair have to be good enough to pass off as OEM for them to swap out for warranty defect.

Reactions: Applejuiced

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
No, simply opening the unit technically voids the warranty unless it's done by Apple.

For the OP to go unnoticed, the third party screen and the repair have to be good enough to pass off as OEM for them to swap out for warranty defect.

However his phone was not under warranty the battery was replaced under the recall programme

TayStyles

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
People claim they can tell if you just open it without replacing anything at all.

It's pretty easy to get apple parts too with all of the "I forgot my icloud" phones on Craigslist.

So I guess my question is, if you open up but don't replace OR you use only oen, what do they look for?
I remember back on my old iPhone 4/5/6 they all had a little triangle pin in the corner witch dpepressed when the screen was down, I read that when apple do the repair they log it into their system so when they go to repair it and on their side is says 1 repair and the iPhone is saying it's been opened 5 times or what ever they'll look for the parts.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Yes but the get the screen replaced only costed $60.00 a pop compared to 100+ from apple.
So now you get to fix the blu tooth from outside source as well. Apple won't touch the device any more. Even for paid service. That is the policy. But who knows what will happen in your specific case. Look at the bright side, you did save $80.

Last edited:

Classic_Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
I remember back on my old iPhone 4/5/6 they all had a little triangle pin in the corner witch dpepressed when the screen was down, I read that when apple do the repair they log it into their system so when they go to repair it and on their side is says 1 repair and the iPhone is saying it's been opened 5 times or what ever they'll look for the parts.

I'm sure the OP no longer owns this phone anymore considering that this thread is from 2015. But still a valid point. :cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 7.51.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 7.51.27 AM.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: C DM

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You're about 2 year late to respond to this thread and the above posts.

Reactions: Classic_Mac

wezzel98765

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
So now you get to fix the blu tooth from outside source as well. Apple won't touch the device any more. Even for paid service. That is the policy. But who knows what will happen in your specific case. Look at the bright side, you did save $80.
Bluetooth issue can be repaired too, so yes, money saved ;)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If its a bluetooth issue with your phone, and its definitely a hardware issue then they won't even bother to open your phone and they'll just replace the whole phone in entirety if under warranty.

They will run a diagnostic to confirm its a hardware issue and this will show a 3rd party screen has been installed.

Edit: Dang it, just realized old thread.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
For curious people:
I heard they can check if screws were used. You need to unscrew each time you open device. So if someone don't change screws to brand new ones - they can easily see that.

I worked in after guarantee service so can't confirm that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.