Can Apple tell if you opened your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

2. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

No, not unless you left a trail...

3. teaguecole macrumors member

Yes, It's hard to open it with out leaving any mark on the bezel, plus theres tape inside that you have to take off and it loses its adhesiveness once you take it off once. It's possible that they don't catch it but there is a good chance they do. However I have never opened mine and have no experience with that.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

If you swap the phone after you opened it and apple notices it later, can they track it back to you and make you give back the replacement.

I was thinking about this when someone mentioned that there are more water sensors inside the phone. If the genius only checks the outside sensors and then they realize the inside one is bad, will they track it back to you and then void the warranty?

5. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not certain, but I highly doubt Apple will care.

6. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

No, not that I know of..

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you ripped apart certain things and the visual evidence of the casing is obvious, then yes.

BTW, why would you need to open your iPhone?

8. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

My sleep/wake button is kinda flush with the case, and I'm tired of swapping out my iPhone, so I'm gonna attempt to fix the button myself.

9. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Haha thats funny! lol. And i dont mean that in a "your dumb for trying that" funny.

I love getting replacements lol. Well ive only done it once but i was happy because i dropped it on the driveway and it got nicked in the corners. So i got a fresh looking new/refurbed phone:p

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's best to let Apple deal with something like that. Trust me, you don't want to ruin your warranty just because of an issue a Genius can easily fix.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Why risk not being able to take it back for other defects? :eek::eek::eek:

12. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd take it back if it were a bigger problem. I don't think a slightly crooked button is something Apple cares too much about, definitely not enough to swap out iphones. Plus I don't want any super cool Geniuses to think I'm a dickhead.

13. topherg macrumors regular

Just swap it!! Opening it up could leave you with a whole slew of problems!

14. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

yes they can, there are these little lines and if there not aligned perfectly they will void your warranty. i think there green but im not certain.

15. FDX macrumors regular

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I doubt they can tell unless you totally botch the job. That said, no way would I ever try to do it.