Can AT&T Find out You're Using MyWi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tzag, Aug 4, 2010.

1. tzag macrumors member

tzag

I currently have the unlimited plan with my iPhone 4 and plan to use it to it's fullest extent, and really don't want to be limited to 2GB and then pay another $25 to tether, but can AT&T find out?

Don't need them finding this out:
    [​IMG]

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Just sayin.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If ATT can search their records better than people who post a thread on this topic once a day can search this forum then, yes, they will find you.

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I believe that AT&T has a "soft cap" at 5GB, so you might be in a bit of trouble... Jesus how did you use that much data???

5. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

yeah its a soft cap and they track your monthly to monthly usage but most of the time they don't care or notice. i would slowly move up and i wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb.

SORE thumb!!!!

6. iphonedude123 macrumors member

I really hope they find out and sue you to bankruptcy. It's what you deserve.

Tethering that amount is ridiculous. Man up, get a job and get cable/dsl. Once you get out of your parents basement then maybe you will see how hard it is to earn money.

7. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

And what if he had used that much data on his iPhone with his unlimited plan without tethering? Should he still be sued?

8. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Easy there killer. No need to pull out the flamethrower.

9. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

these people are claiming the morality lies with att because they said so in a contract. that is a stupid reason. you obviously have the right to unlimited data if they say so and they gouge you on monthly prices with massive profit margins (around 50%) anyway. if i was still on att i would obviously do this and it makes no sense not to.

10. iphonedude123 macrumors member

No, he's not breaching the contract.

You must live with your parents.

By your twisted logic, it's perfectly ok to steal from rich people because they have so much money.

11. draz macrumors 6502a

Oh yea they can find out no doubt. And if more people start using MyWi then perhaps they will track those folks down, issue warnings and enforce their softcap more by really limiting the data usage.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There is no soft cap. Don’t believe me, search the threads for info about it. That’s all I’m going to say about it.

As far as the OP goes, AT&T has never done anything to anyone for tethering. However, now that they actually charge for tethering, who knows what they might do, but it would be hard for them to prove.

13. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

How would it be hard for them to prove? They keep track of data usage, say, "Hey, this guy used too much data. We're going to charge him for it". Done.

14. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Yea he used to much data on his unlimited plan:rolleyes:

15. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

I would not be doing this that are clearly not 'capable' on iphone. Torrenting at 1Mb/s or playing WoW are things that will probably just draw unwanted attention to yourself.

16. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

The unlimited data plan with a 5gb soft cap...

17. illutionz macrumors 65816

18. tzag thread starter macrumors member

tzag

My Internet was down and I downloaded a bunch of TV shows to last me til I get my new modem. Can't miss my weekly Gordon Ramsay shows.

But anyways if they see my jump from 1.3gb to ~12gb, can they prove that I tethered using MyWi, or am I pretty secure saying "I streamed a bunch of shows off the Internet".

19. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I think you'll be fine just don't turn it into a habit. I was staying at an extended stay for a month and their Internet service is horrible. I did about 11 GB of tethering that month and nothing happened. Of course after that month my usage went way down. Now if you are doing that much data in a day that is going to be a giant red flag.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If they really want to they can find out but for the past 2+ years or so they havent bothered. And people have been tethering like crazy some going over 10GB's or even higher than that with no problems.
    So you should be fine.

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

22. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

I'm going to post that as of 09:37PM 8/4, you were at exactly 10259.96mb down and 202.76mb up. Hopefully an ATT rep is scouring this forum and will be able to pin this on you.

Anyway, Gordon Ramsay sucks *******s. Is that really what you spent 10GB downloading? I hope your phone overheats and turns into flambe for you and Gordon Ramsay to roast marshmallow over.

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, all they have to do is sniff the packets going out on the iPhone data. Like sometimes when people post up at the top with their identifier up there. It's quite easy, but AT&T doesn't care.

24. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

why does it matter how much data he uses or what show he watches? you're such a douche.

any to answer the OP's question, sure they can track you if they want to, but i havent heard anything about them doing anything. just be careful. like what was mentioned earlier, dont turn it into a habit.

25. tzag thread starter macrumors member

tzag

I beleive that's spelled with an accent aigu, Flambé. And thanks for the idea incase I get that message saying my iPhone overheats, good way to pass the time.