can emails show up like text messages on iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chstr, Dec 13, 2009.

1. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

can you set up your iphone so an email from a certain account will show up like a text message does? thanks

2. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this?

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

There is a whole forum section dedicated to the iPhone, but the answer to your question to your answer is no.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Few things that are really high up my list is far better organisations of notifications on the Lock Screen. Possibly "widgets" for the lock screen:

- New Emails
    - New Text Messages (plus preview)
    - Up Coming Calendar Appointments
    - Downloadable Widgets (such as Sport Updates).

5. lollicup macrumors regular

I get over 100 emails a day, I would hate for this to be the case

There is a reason why you want a text message to be a pop-up ( text messaging is suppose to be a pseudo immediate way of reaching someone)

I don't think many people expect the same respond time to an e-mail, in fact it was never meant to be used in that matter.

So basically I don't think its a feature that enough people need ( who NEEDS to respond to an e-mail immediately anyways, you would call, text,AIM if you needed an immediate response) for Apple to ever implement

6. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

well, what I would like to do is just set up one of my gmail accounts that I use to exchange emails with my friends who have blackberrys. It would be cheaper than paying for text messages but work just as well. Kind of like how some people use the aim service

7. kolax macrumors G3

But having a count, some form of widget, telling you you have a new email would be useful. Right now, apart from a sound and buzz, I have no idea how many new emails I have unless I unlock my phone.

Widgets on the lock screen would be so incredibly useful..

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Easily cured by jailbreaking.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah but I'd rather Apple support it officially..

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Using an app like PushGmail will get you IM-like pop ups, and the ability to go directly to the message, much like IM. Loading the gmail web page is fairly slow though. A real IM app like Beejive does this much better. Don't your friends have IM accounts on their Blackberries?

11. IronLogik macrumors 6502

12. Tu13es macrumors regular

For apps like Mail Notifier, I assume you give the app your login info and it'll send you push requests when it sees a new email? Also they only seem to work with things like AOL, GMail, Hotmail etc. I'd rather not give my login info to some other service.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't some JB app that just looks at your incoming emails and throws up a push-like notification. I guess GriP would do it but I'd like something with similar behavior to a push notification.

13. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Yup. It just checks your email on their servers and sends a notification if it finds anything new. It works with IMAP accounts as well. Which would basically mean it works with anything non-gmail/hotmail/yahoo/aol/etc

I have no reason to believe Enflick, the company that makes the app is going to go rooting through your email.

14. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

15. phishindsn macrumors regular

Can't you write a rule in gmail to forward or create a SMS to your phone when that email comes in?

Filter or forward an email to [10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net

Then you would get notified.

16. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

jailbreak and install "Notifier"

check mine out. Cal events(lock calendar), and email icon top right :) No more "just ding" for me!!!

Attached Files:

17. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

one thing i noticed recently is how email addresses show up when you text someone. You can actually text someones email address now and it shows as an mms, then when they send one back it comes back just like that. I just tried it myself because i was curious, it comes through just like a text message. Hope this helps

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but you've been able to email via text message and vice-versa for as long as I can remember SMS being available on an phone.

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't want "widgets" on my lock screen.

I hate that theme on my work phone - a BlackBerry Curve - and I would hate it on the iPhone. The only problem is that Apple wouldn't let you turn it off so I'd be frustrated for a good long time.

20. kolax macrumors G3

Well, I'd want it to be like Dashboard. You can select what you want, or select nothing at all (no widgets) so your lock screen is empty, like it is now.

I always forget where a lecture is, or when I'm working that night. Unlocking my iPhone then loading up iCal is fine, but if there was an iCal Widget on the lock screen, I wouldn't have to do anything apart from hit the lock/home button.

21. pw1500 macrumors regular

pw1500

Boxcar

Try Boxcar its free from the appstore. If you set up your email account to forward email to the supplied boxcar email address you will receive a push notification of every email you get.

Hope this is what you are looking for?

22. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

cool, i'm gonna try this thanks!

23. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Sorry to break it to you, but the world doesn't revolve around your usage of your phone. Symbian S60, Blackberry OS, Windows Mobile, Android, and WebOS ALL have discrete and elegant (enough) ways to let you know that you have unread emails waiting.

Awww.... poor baby... You get over 100 emails a day? Get over it. There are people who get several hundred or more emails a day, and would want this feature. If apple was concerned about irritating uber-popular cool-guys like you, they could have an option to turn it off.

24. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

Never tried until the other day; new to me i guess. I know you could but i thought i was helping the OP in some way. I never noticed this until recently personally but i never really had email addresses on my phone until i got an iphone and started integrating it to make my life easier

25. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Thanks... Just tried that and it works!!