iPad Can future ipad become thinner n lighter

Discussion in 'iPad' started by auzzuro, Oct 24, 2014.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

Currently the air 2 is 30% thinner than air 1 ... Do u guys think future ipad will get thinner n lighter

2. maintainin macrumors member

Hope not.....theres problems with ipad 2 air decreasing thickness and weight over the original air. Battery is smaller and there IS less battery life. Mute/Rotate button is gone. And screen flexing issues. Was the original air that bad? Hell no IMO. The orginal Air was fine as far as weight and external dimensions. Shouldve kept everything the same except upgrading to the internals like the A8X and wifi and RAM.

You want one thinner than the Air 2 is now? Kiss the standard headphone jack goodbye. you might be alright with that as long as your ready to buy new headphones with a lightning connector or buying an adapter. Apple will make a killing either way.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I find battery life around the same

4. maintainin macrumors member

I'm not. Its just not the same. Theres some reviews out finding the same. to be honest its not drastic enough for me personally to give me heartburn. But the battery is 15% smaller and I'm finding the decrease to fall in line with that.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Well I've noticed the same battery life for me with the wifi version. Now I have cellular I will notice a decrease

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's not 30% thinner than the Air. It's 18% thinner.

7. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Will still get thinner, thus the patents for lightning port headphones

8. maintainin macrumors member

Which I said in my post above. We get thinner and Apple lines their pockets selling/patenting headphones with lightning ports and selling adapters to plug regular headphones into these ipads.

You're $200 set of cans with the regular headphone jack.......naw...need that $20 Apple adapter to make it work with the "paper thin ipad air 3"

Tim Cook jumps around in joy

9. cannono macrumors regular

Is it really that bad we had to switch to lightning? I'd say the frustration free tiny plug was worth the switch for the multiple benefits. And there's not that many speakers and docks that come with Apple specific plugs anyway thanks to improving Bluetooth and other solutions.

10. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

I would rather have more battery life than thinner.

11. maintainin macrumors member

Exactly what Tim Cook is thinking. My high quality headphones be damned. And thats ingoring the other reasons for going thinner in the spirit of this thread

12. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Apologies for missing that

13. maintainin macrumors member

It's cool. Apple just has this arrogance though. They wont give a damn.

14. maintainin macrumors member

My whole thing is WHY GO THINNER AND CONSTANTLY HAVE TRADE OFFS? THERE WAS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE ORIGINAL AIR.

It's just a gimmick. Was the ipad air that heavy and cumbersome? Heeeeeell no.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

I agree. They shouldn't have messed with the form factor which resulted in a lot of other issues and just beefed up the internals/camera/display.

16. Danilo - Italy macrumors regular

Like someone wrote in this forum:
    iPad Air 2: When "Thinnness" Goes Too Far

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It will get thinner. It will get lighter. They will do it without sacrificing battery life.

This is the product roadmap.

It's not a bad thing - and no, Apple has no obligation to support your investment in a high quality headphone with a 3.5mm jack.... I'm sure some enterprising company will develop a lightening to 3.5mm adapter if Apple themselves do not come out with one.

I applaud their continued advances and look forward to the day my iPad is half the thickness and weight it is now, with a higher quality screen to boot!

18. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Completely agree. Nobody ever held the air and was like "this thing is so fat. If only it was thinner". So why make it thinner? That's like solving a non existent problem. And then add into that the trade offs you make with battery life, durability and the loss of the mute switch and this is looking like a really crappy decision.

I'm sure you could put a battery in the iPhone 6 that only lasts 1 hour and make the entire device half as thin. Literally 3mm thick. But then you've sacrificed so much that the gains in thinness isn't worth it. I like apple because they make good decisions and have good taste in choices about what not to do. This is one apple decision I completely disagree with

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Can it? Sure.

Should it? Not in my opinion. Too thin = less battery, excessive (for some) vibration, loss of sturdiness -- bendable like an envelope and screen impressions from pressure on the back.

For me, there's little added value to a few less micro millimeters /grams at this point.

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree.

21. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

It will eventually lose all ports and connections, prob buttons too. Make it more unlikely to break/water damage and get cheaper. This will make it thinner too.

Don't think it needs it tho but it would be hard to constantly reinvent the tablet each year with new form and features. Only so much you can do and thinner and lighter is the obvious ones.

22. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I don't really care for it to become any thinner. I already really don't see much of a point to how thin they are right now honestly. Would rather have more battery life or more powerful components and features. But that's just me.

I haven't tried the air 2 yet but the first air was really thin and light anyway.

23. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

This reminds me of the anorexic craze with models where too thin can be unattractive.

longer battery life > too thin

24. rkuo macrumors 6502a

It's fine for it to be thinner and lighter. The main thing that should be done first, however, is slim down the bezels on all sides. Then weight. Only after that is thinness really a concern.

25. Nozuka macrumors 68000

don't think it needs to become any thinner.
    but lighter is always welcome.

but only if the battery runtime doesnt go any lower.