Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CampDavid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
While I understand that 250 posts is the minimum for access to the market place I unfortunately only feel the need to post when I have something vaguely worth reading. Therefor I don't have that many posts and won't hit the market place until 2015 or there abouts, which seems a long way off.

Is there any other way I can actually get access to this or is it a case of just spamming the hell out of everything with lots of "lols" here and a bit of pointless bickering there?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You need 250 posts to access the marketplace.
Understand that many spammers/scammers come to this forum. Imposing a 250 post requirement just makes the marketplace safer. Unfortunately it does restrict honest people like you until you have 250 posts, but it is for the benefit of the community.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Participation in the Forums through longevity and contribution to the discussion is one way of creating trust within the community

Please... don't spam your way, that will only lead to more issues. Achieving the number of required posts can come when you get involved in a few threads where you feel passionate about the subject and offer your opinion

The Marketplace is a service provided by MR, but it isn't a true buy and sell site like eBay or others with protection. It is based on good will and trust among friends.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Is there any other way I can actually get access to this or is it a case of just spamming the hell out of everything with lots of "lols" here and a bit of pointless bickering there?

CampDavid, look at my join date. And I *still* can't access the marketplace, in spite of joining long before that decision was made. I understand the decision, but I think its way too restrictive with people who have been members for years. Though I hate to recommend them, MacNN has a decent marketplace and more reasonable posting rules (At least you would get in quicker!), though I prefer MacRumors forums in general:

MacNN Marketplace said:
Guests/Not Logged In - can view forum, read threads.
Regular members - can view forum, read threads, post replies.
Members with 100+ posts, 30+ days - full access to Marketplace.
Members with 75+ posts, 1+ year - full access to Marketplace.
Members with 50+ posts, 2+ years - full access to Marketplace.
Members with 25+ posts, 3+ years - full access to Marketplace.

Either be patient, or use sites like eBay or Craigslist or other, less restrictive market forums. I do agree that the rules reward frivolous posting and punish more contemplative but less frequent posters.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The reason for the 250 post count is that you build a level of trust. It doesn't matter if you create an id and let it sit there for a couple of years with a minor post here or there.

Given that people are dealing with money MR wants to provide some level of comfort. Is it perfect no, but no marketplace on the internet is.

Is 250 posts really that much, not really but as MacDawg stated spamming your way to the post count isn't the best way

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
I agree with your general premise, maflynn. I just differ on the specifics.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
so, i just surpassed my 250 post mark... where is this marketplace forum located?

You need to allow the forum software time to run the automatic scripts to give you access. This usually happens within an hour or two but allow upto 24 hours.

If you still can't see it then please send a contact us form

mac.tastic

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
250 is far too high. 150 is more than reasonable since most spammers make less than 50 posts and the vast chunk do only 5 or less.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
250 is far too high. 150 is more than reasonable since most spammers make less than 50 posts and the vast chunk do only 5 or less.

I think 250 is good, it's enough that you have a bit of a posting history so people can get as close to knowing you as is possible on the Internet. Anyway I think the point of the post requirement is more to keep out scammers than spammers, I prefer buying from and selling to people who I have a bit of an idea about rather than someone completely random.

mac.tastic

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
it's enough that you have a bit of a posting history so people can get as close to knowing you as is possible on the Internet.
If that is the case then it should be 1000+ posts and a vote of members before somebody is allowed access.

But 500 before you can have an avatar, thats just inane.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If that is the case then it should be 1000+ posts and a vote of members before somebody is allowed access.

But 500 before you can have an avatar, thats just inane.

Well they have to strike a balance between keeping spammers out and letting legit posters in, I think they do pretty well, although I wouldn't mind a higher post count requirement. I mostly only buy from people who are quite a bit over 250 posts just because I feel that it's safer.

mac.tastic

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I mostly only buy from people who are quite a bit over 250 posts just because I feel that it's safer.

Just like a Priest that was known by many people for 20 years "suddenly" discovered to be a pederast or a neighbor that steals clothes off the lines?

Just because somebody has been a round for a while doesn't make them safer. They are who they were 10 years ago and they will be the same person 20 years (or 10000 posts) from now.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Just like a Priest that was known by many people for 20 years "suddenly" discovered to be a pederast or a neighbor that steals clothes off the lines?

Just because somebody has been a round for a while doesn't make them safer. They are who they were 10 years ago and they will be the same person 20 years (or 10000 posts) from now.

But them being around and posting more gives me more of a chance of knowing who they are and avoiding the bad people. No system is perfect, but the current marketplace rules do a pretty good job.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I actually don't mind the rule. Granted, I have many more posts than the minimum, but even then, I wouldn't mind making it a little higher.

Although, when I first had gotten access to the Marketplace, I had around 500-750 posts, and 6 months. So it wasn't too bad then either.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Plus menbers who have been here for years, and contributed time have more to loose. As i see it, the marketplace works well as it is.

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2004
The limit used to be 100 posts, IIRC. I think it's amusing that I've been a member for 7 years and used to be able to access the Marketplace (and have bought and sold numerous items there), but now I can't.

I guess I became a thief in the intervening period between the post limit change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.