Can I ask you guys to help with an embarrassing question?

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Why is reddit awesome?

I'm pretty plugged into the startup community in SF and the valley. I have a reddit account and I know what it technically does. I don't get what the buzz is all about. I feel like its not even cool enough for me to waste my time on the site. Yet, everytime I hit up the computer labs at Cal or Stanford and half the screens are like reddit, reddit, facebook, reddit.

So, I'm am super confused. I guess I'm just not getting it. Could you guys help me with this?

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not bashing it, I'm trying to find a way to use it
It's not for everyone. Try searching for subreddits based on your interests. I like r/buildapc, r/hiphopheads, and r/fitness, but even then I find that there's rarely anything good on them, mostly people with too much free time and not much to contribute. To be honest I often find 4chan is more useful if you know where to look and who to ask, but reddit is worksafe and more mainstream-friendly.

Bottom line: if you don't like it, don't feel pressured to use it. 99% of it is utter garbage, is it really worth your time forcing yourself yo like it?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I have the "Reddit Pics" app installed on my iPhone and I check that out at least a couple times a day...usually gives me 10-15 minutes of entertainment. Aside from that, I'm not really sure how to "use" Reddit. The main website gives me a headache just looking at it, so I've never really "dug" into it.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Wow that is an embarrassing question. I'm not sure how you mustered the courage to type it out, to say nothing of hitting that submit button.

:rolleyes:
Part of my job is to help pick out promising tech companies to potentially help out with capital. So, its always disconcerting when i don't see something that everyone else sees. I kinda wonder if I'm losing my grip on what's cool. All the freshmans and soph at Cal are all over this reddit like a religion. For me, occasionally content is cool, like AMA with notables or after a big event. But, someone else will invariable curate that for me, like what incentive do I have to participate in this community on a daily basis? To make matters worse 99% of the discussions sound like 12 y/os. I also don't get Snapchat, I think its a feature you can totally build in to iMessage, FB messanger, or a billion other apps easily. Yet, somehow these guys got funded $20M. (sorry this is ranty)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Part of my job is to help pick out promising tech companies to potentially help out with capital. So, its always disconcerting when i don't see something that everyone else sees. I kinda wonder if I'm losing my grip on what's cool. All the freshmans and soph at Cal are all over this reddit like a religion. For me, occasionally content is cool, like AMA with notables or after a big event. But, someone else will invariable curate that for me, like what incentive do I have to participate in this community on a daily basis? To make matters worse 99% of the discussions sound like 12 y/os. I also don't get Snapchat, I think its a feature you can totally build in to iMessage, FB messanger, or a billion other apps easily. Yet, somehow these guys got funded $20M. (sorry this is ranty)
That's your job, and you had to resort to asking a bunch of random folks on MR?

That is embarrassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.