Can I ask you guys to help with an embarrassing question?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Dec 26, 2013.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Why is reddit awesome?

I'm pretty plugged into the startup community in SF and the valley. I have a reddit account and I know what it technically does. I don't get what the buzz is all about. I feel like its not even cool enough for me to waste my time on the site. Yet, everytime I hit up the computer labs at Cal or Stanford and half the screens are like reddit, reddit, facebook, reddit.

So, I'm am super confused. I guess I'm just not getting it. Could you guys help me with this?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Reddit has its own merits and demerits. To each their own.

3. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I'm not bashing it, I'm trying to find a way to use it

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's not for everyone. Try searching for subreddits based on your interests. I like r/buildapc, r/hiphopheads, and r/fitness, but even then I find that there's rarely anything good on them, mostly people with too much free time and not much to contribute. To be honest I often find 4chan is more useful if you know where to look and who to ask, but reddit is worksafe and more mainstream-friendly.

Bottom line: if you don't like it, don't feel pressured to use it. 99% of it is utter garbage, is it really worth your time forcing yourself yo like it?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not saying' you are bashing it, but like the poster above stated. You can also find help in 4chan if you know where to look and who/how to ask.

Reddit is no different. This is why I stated "to each their own"

6. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I'm not certain I'd say it's 'awesome', but it does contain an incredible amount of knowledge and opinions on a very wide range of subjects. Definitely a great way to waste time.

7. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I have the "Reddit Pics" app installed on my iPhone and I check that out at least a couple times a day...usually gives me 10-15 minutes of entertainment. Aside from that, I'm not really sure how to "use" Reddit. The main website gives me a headache just looking at it, so I've never really "dug" into it.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow that is an embarrassing question. I'm not sure how you mustered the courage to type it out, to say nothing of hitting that submit button.

:rolleyes:

9. Seniordan macrumors regular

I personally love the AMA's with interesting people! Aside from that, cute kitty pics are awesome, right?:p

10. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Part of my job is to help pick out promising tech companies to potentially help out with capital. So, its always disconcerting when i don't see something that everyone else sees. I kinda wonder if I'm losing my grip on what's cool. All the freshmans and soph at Cal are all over this reddit like a religion. For me, occasionally content is cool, like AMA with notables or after a big event. But, someone else will invariable curate that for me, like what incentive do I have to participate in this community on a daily basis? To make matters worse 99% of the discussions sound like 12 y/os. I also don't get Snapchat, I think its a feature you can totally build in to iMessage, FB messanger, or a billion other apps easily. Yet, somehow these guys got funded $20M. (sorry this is ranty)

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That's your job, and you had to resort to asking a bunch of random folks on MR?

That is embarrassing.

12. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

crowd sourcing duh!