Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have recently been plagued by numerous calls “from the US government that want to give me $9,000. I’m talking multiple calls a day all from different numbers. One guy admitted he was calling from China and yes indeed the call was a scam. He told me that he’d take my number off the list but the calls kept coming. It was driving me nutty. I went to the bother to put my phone on constant do not disturb except for those in my contact list and then also went into each of my close contacts to allow for bypass texting. However, even in do not disturb mode the 3rd call in a row from the same number will come through and ring in case of an emergency.

Then I found the ATT Call Protect app and installed it yesterday. OMG, those scam suckers tried to call me 21 times yesterday but none got through. This app has been super for me. Thank you ATT! So far 0 scammers, robocalls or telemarketers have come through - happy camper here.
There is an option in DND settings to allow multiple calls to come through or not, so that can be something that you configure to your liking.

That said, various newer caller applications like the AT&T one you mentioned, or more general ones like Hiya, for example, seems to be quite helpful for many when it comes to things of this nature.

Minok

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
There is an option in DND settings to allow multiple calls to come through or not, so that can be something that you configure to your liking.

That said, various newer caller applications like the AT&T one you mentioned, or more general ones like Hiya, for example, seems to be quite helpful for many when it comes to things of this nature.

Seems after all of this time there still isn't an option.
Apple could fix this by improving the DND system in iOS easily enough and it would require no cost or jailbreaking or cell provider service subscription.

All that is needed is a bit more complex ruleset:
1) Block all calls from : (choose everyone not in the contacts list) - all day long - thats a capability we have now
2) Allow calls from <choose person/group/etc> during the DND timeframe (eg 10pm-6am)

The problem is we have to solve the mess that the FCC did to the phone system via the allowing of spoofing of caller ID data. So we have to in software address this. And it is possible.

I like blocking all calls but family and close friends. Thats the intent of the original DND system and works well.

We just need the added ability to define one more rule -to block all callers not in the contacts list outright from ringing the phone. Thats the one added condition we need. No 3rd party app, or paid service.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Hi there!

I'm sick of getting spam phone calls from politicians, marketing groups, etc. Is it possible to have all of those go to VM, except the #s in my phone? I know I can do this as part of Do Not Disturb, but I'd like to make it the norm.
It's not perfect, but my default ring tone is a silent ring and all of my contacts have a custom ring. The main time the solution fails is in my car with my phone paired, but overall it beats the heck out of having spam calls make my phone ring all day.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am going to run the AT&T app and evaluate after two weeks. In my experience apps like this need time to learn how to manage calls.

Let us know how it turns out. The app saved me from 4 robo calls yesterday, it is not perfect but works better every day. My nuisance calls are about a tenth of what they used to be.

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Understood. I suppose this is still possible with a few taps going into DND settings, though I can see that as being a nusiance.

Are you jailbroken? I used an app called "callblocker" back before DND was available in iOS. It allowed for setting profiles. That may be of some help.
What about adding everyone that you’re happy to hear from as a Favourite and then setting DND to only allow calls from Favourites?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Change your number to a new one, give it to those closest to you. Put the sim you have now in a cheap ass pay as you go phone and leave it at home as a home phone. Give this number to people you don't want bothering you. Leave the voice mail on this phone on if you want to. Check it when you feel like it. Top it up once a year with £10/$10 or what ever is the cheapest to keep it running. Your life on your iPhone is now peaceful.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Change your number to a new one, give it to those closest to you. Put the sim you have now in a cheap ass pay as you go phone and leave it at home as a home phone. Give this number to people you don't want bothering you. Leave the voice mail on this phone on if you want to. Check it when you feel like it. Top it up once a year with £10/$10 or what ever is the cheapest to keep it running. Your life on your iPhone is now peaceful.
That kind of ignores robocalls that call a number whether you've ever used it for anything else at all, ever.

I have a Google voice number that I give out when I don't want people to know my iPhone number, but I still get spam calls on my iPhone number that Ive never given to anyone but friends and family.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
That kind of ignores robocalls that call a number whether you've ever used it for anything else at all, ever.

I have a Google voice number that I give out when I don't want people to know my iPhone number, but I still get spam calls on my iPhone number that Ive never given to anyone but friends and family.

well if you and/or them will upload your contacts to facebook, snapchat and twitter what do you expect

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
well if you and/or them will upload your contacts to facebook, snapchat and twitter what do you expect
Which, again, has nothing to do with robodialers which simply call sequentially. And which also affects your suggestion, anyway.

No amount of care with your number is going to prevent automated systems from trying to call you. Maybe your service provider can screen them (like the AT&T app mentioned above or with something like Google Voice does). Maybe you can screen them. But they're going to exist no matter how careful you are.

The silent ring tone works, though imperfectly, for me without a second phone. If there were some way to send calls from non-contacts straight to voice mail, I think that would be ideal for me.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Which, again, has nothing to do with robodialers which simply call sequentially. And which also affects your suggestion, anyway.

No amount of care with your number is going to prevent automated systems from trying to call you. Maybe your service provider can screen them (like the AT&T app mentioned above or with something like Google Voice does). Maybe you can screen them. But they're going to exist no matter how careful you are.

The silent ring tone works, though imperfectly, for me without a second phone. If there were some way to send calls from non-contacts straight to voice mail, I think that would be ideal for me.

Must be a US thing, in the uk we can put our numbers in a data base to stop that sort of auto calling. Well I think we can. I dont think ive done it. I still stand by my original suggestion as it works nicely.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Must be a US thing, in the uk we can put our numbers in a data base to stop that sort of auto calling. Well I think we can. I dont think ive done it. I still stand by my original suggestion as it works nicely.
That's the theory, here, too. As with most laws, it doesn't stop everyone, though, especially if they aren't US-based.

Reactions: Zxxv

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Why would you block these calls? I have $3,583,395 coming in soon. I had to give them my bank account. Well I gave 23 callers my account and routing number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.