Can I build a PC and load Mac OSX onto it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joefinan, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Could I go to Maplin, buy PC bits, build a PC and then load Mac OSX onto it?

If not, why not?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Technically, it is possible.

Legally, it is not according to the EULA.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The EULA does not define law. Putting OS X on a PC is not illegal in itself, it is breach of contract though.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Why would you want to put a good operating system into a crap tin box .. :confused:

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Fair enough.

However, Apple can sue the user if they break the EULA through the breach of contract as you say.

Excellent point! :)

To the OP, don't do it!

6. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because then I can have a cheap computer without having to have MS Windows.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I certainly can understand that .. ;)
    If finances are tight (yes, they usually are !!) why not buy a second hand Mac or consider a Mac Mini, that way you can use your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse.

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

Your status says that you are a regular, I would assume you have the intelligence to use the search function.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Never assume. ;)

But yes, there was a lovely thread on this also in the New Posts less than 5 minute ago that's a good couple of pages long.

You can do it, try googling for it, a lot of it depends on your hardware.

10. portent macrumors 6502a

Unless you happen to live in the US or EU. Both have expanded copyright legislation that makes it illegal to circumvent copyright-enforcement mechanisms.

11. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

so how long before Apple release osx for a standard PC?

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Lets see, todays Saturday... NEVER!

13. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Yes you can. No you may not.

14. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

when the iPhone is in Canada

or Powerbook G5 comes out

which all means never

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

This isn't a copyright issue. If the user had purchased Mac OS X (i.e a new version for the PC) then there is no copyright violation therefore that is not an issue.

Of course that is a rather large assumption but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt :).

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although the EULA is the main thing it's really more about it NOT being technically possible. You can't just pop in the Leopard disc and install OS X. Requires patching of the software and system tweaks and a long drawn out installation and then after that the system CAN be buggy and it will not withstand software updates from Apple. As soon as you download the next point release it breaks everything you've done and you will lose your info.

It's not worth the trouble, also I don't buy this, "I can't afford a Mac etc......" The Mac mini is very affordable and capable machine for new switchers. A $600 Mac mini and any cheap monitor will get you a fully supported Mac with no hassles. If the specs on the mini aren't perfect enough the entry level iMac is more than capable for $1200.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

So what you are saying is it IS technically possible then?

19. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

While technical possible (licensing issues aside) completely not recommended. Except for an experiment to see if you can get it working the experience will not be a happy one. Get a 2nd hand mini off the Bay rather

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

totally unreasonable statement. crap tin box? w/o OSX, macs are just same as those "crap tin box"

For OP, get a Ubuntu 8.04 for free, why bother hacking OSX.

21. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

My PC with it experiences no bugs whatsoever, and it takes 20 minutes to install just like a real mac. 5 for loading the disc, 15 for installing the OS. I only have to edit the networking kext to change a device ID so I can get internet working, that takes like 15 seconds through terminal. You can install official updates without fear thanks to PC_EFI on Core 2 Duo machines. Totally stable, and gets better benchmark scores than every mac besides mac pro's and the Extreme imac.

The mac mini is not a solution for everyone. It is cheap, infact it is cheaper than the machine I have OSX86 on, but it does not meet my needs. I had a mac mini before, its lame and only for casual computer use. I needed an affordable gaming PC, it costed me around $650. The imac would make a pathetic gaming machine as well and it cant be upgraded which is a complete deal breaker for gamers. I will only get mac laptops but Apple didnt have what I needed in a desktop, so I went elsewhere.

22. VoodooSteve macrumors newbie

I agree with Clevin, give Ubuntu a try. It may not be as "polished" as Mac OS X but it is just as stable and for what I use my MacBook for, just as useful. It even, I'm afraid to say, exceeds Mac OS X in some areas. You'll fall in love with package manager for example, all your applications can be updated at one spot. Unless you're going to buy a Mac from Apple, your only real feasible options are Windows and Linux. And unless you need Mac/Windows specific applications (Photoshop, etc) I'd say Ubuntu all the way. Getting Mac OS X up and running would take your hours but you can have Ubuntu installed in 20 minutes. Ubuntu forums (http://www.ubuntuforums.org) is full of very helpful people if you have any questions. Just be careful buying the components, anything obscure might not have a Linux driver.

23. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the (polite/useful) replies. Great advice. And I will try Ubuntu...

I guess the real reason I ask the question is that I love my MBP and I adore OSX - but I also love the idea of learning more about computers and what better way to learn than to build myself a desktop (that I don't think I'd use all that much). However, I never want to go back to Windows. At all. I've even vowed not to install ANY Microsoft software on my MBP.

So, I originally asked cos I can't exactly build a Mac, so I'd like to build a computer and load OSX onto it.

But maybe Linux is the answer (shame it won't then fully sync with my MBP).

24. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Why do we always get these stupid questions whenever someone asks about running OS X on a PC, or running some other OS than OS X on a Mac? Since Apple's hardware-selection is quite limited, it just might be that Apple does not provide suitable hardware for the person asking the question? Maybe he wants a cheap expandable machine, but he has no need for a monster-workstation that is Mac Pro?

That said, I wouldn't do it. It's just asking for trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.