Can I buy an SE Now, or should I wait till September?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarcusH, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should I buy an SE now, or wait till September?

  1. Buy the SE now.

    29 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. Wait till September.

    7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. MarcusH macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    #1
    Hi

    I was going to buy an iPhone SE this weekend, but then I read about the launch of the iPhone 7 in September. I don't actually want a 7, but I wondered if changes at the top of the range might have any implications for the SE at the bottom of the range.

    Might the iPhone 7's launch coincide with other changes or launches? Is Apple likely to change the spec of the SE any? Maybe a 32GB minimum? Maybe change the SE's price? Might they tempt me to buy a 6 by lowering its price?

    If these are possibilities, then I guess I should wait till September. Or on the other hand, if the answer to the above questions is No, then I guess I should go-ahead and get my SE this weekend.

    Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

    MH
     
  2. Phil A. Moderator

    Phil A.

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Location:
    Shropshire, UK
    #2
    No-one knows for certain but I'd be very surprised if they make any changes - it's only been out a few months and they've only just overcome the low supply issues
     
  3. 617aircav Suspended

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2012
  4. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

    BLUEBLASTER

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2016
    #4
    Wait till September it might decrease in price
     
  5. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #5
    You can wait to be safe, but the SE price won't drop in Sept.

    It will not happen.
     
  6. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

    Beenblacklisted

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2011
    Location:
    Miami,Fl
    #6
    no new SE , The SE was made because there were more than expected iphone 5 shells and leftover iphone 6s internals , due to apple not meeting predicted sales forecasted for the year. The 5c never got a refresh nor will SE, no reason to.
     
  7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

    BeeGood

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    Location:
    Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
    #7
    I say but it now.

    It's already nicely priced and It's only been out 6 months so I doubt there will be a price decrease.
     
  8. agentsmithone macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    California
  9. agentsmithone macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #9
    Or, a considerable customer base still wanted the smaller 4-inch screen with modern components. The iPhone SE is still sold out with waiting list as recently as 3 weeks ago.
     
  10. HobeSoundDarryl, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

    HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

    HobeSoundDarryl

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Location:
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    #10
    No you can't. Waiting "to be safe" will apply in September too if no SE update launches (which seems highly likely). Then it will be "wait for a potential updated SE in the spring". By spring it will be "wait for the 10th anniversary- it's going to have everything including a kitchen sink- phone in the Fall". By that Fall it will be "wait because the SE hasn't been updated in almost 2 years so there's almost certainly a new one coming in the spring." And on and on.

    Basically OP, if you want a piece of hardware, buy it now. If you worry about having latest & greatest, you'll worry forever because whenever you do buy, the next latest & greatest is already on the way. If you are really locked in on buy now OR buy this Fall, the rumor mill is pretty good at pretty much laying out what is coming this close to launch date. In other words, there's typically not many surprises of substance this close to the launch. So you know what you get with the SE and you likely know what Apple will announce this Fall. Let that be your guide.

    Counterbalance to worrying about missing out on something "latest & greatest" is the benefits of enjoying use of something between now and whenever "latest & greatest" actually shows up. One other strategy is to buy when you need (or really want) and then sell if "latest & greatest" comes out with something you just must have. That way you get the benefits of enjoying current greatest now and can hop along whenever you like should something come out you must have. In short, you "rent" time with current greatest but can easily hop to latest should it be something you must have. The cost of that "rental" is not that great and you basically have your cake and eat it too.
     
  11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

    Tom G.

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    Location:
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    #11
    You can buy anything you want whenever you want providing you have the requisite funds to do it. You need no ones approval except to buy items that are regulated or illegal, iPhones do not yet fall into either of these categories.
     
  12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #12
    probably a combination of what you said and the person you quoted. IIRC, over 30% of iPhone users were still using 4" or smaller iPhones.
     
  13. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

    Beenblacklisted

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2011
    Location:
    Miami,Fl
    #13
    depends on location, im in south florida, all models and all stocks available .
     
  14. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #14
    I agree in principle with what you're saying. But, if he really wanted to make sure...little harm to waiting till September.

    I know the price will still be the same come September, but the OP is not me. So it goes.
     
  15. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

    HobeSoundDarryl

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Location:
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    #15
    I understand, but in September the same logic will be suggesting waiting just a few more months to see if there will be an update to the SE. That never stops. The next generation potential is always "just wait a few months to see" away.
     
  16. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #16
    Well, I hope by then the OP will buy.

    There are zero signs of Apple doing an SE2. He might be waiting forever.
     
  17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #17
    While not an "SE2", I feel pretty confident apple will keep around the smaller phone going forward. The SE proved there is a big demand for phone size phones :D
     
  18. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #18
    I hope the 4" makes it back to the yearly lineup.

    I bought my 6s before the news of the SE and would welcome the news of a new 4" phone with better features.
     
  19. aces99 macrumors 6502

    aces99

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2014
    Location:
    Canada
    #19
    There is also a new latest and greatest around the corner. If you wait til the iPhone 7 comes out then you will say "Well maybe I should wait a few more months for the SE2". Then if and when a SE2 comes out then you will say "Well maybe I should wait a few more months for the iPhone 8". It is a never ending cycle. It is totally up to you and only you can decide what to do. But if you want a 4" phone then you might as well get the SE but if you want a bigger 4.7" or 5.5" phone and are not in a panic you might as well wait for the new iPhone 7. But that's something that only you can decide what is right for you and what you want to do. Asking what you should do on the net might not always be your best bet and might be a little confusing because if you will get 300 different answers. One person will tell you to buy now, the next person will tell you to wait. The next person will tell you to do this and the next person will tell you to do that. Enough to make your head hurt.
     
  20. aohus macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Location:
    sky
    #20
    Get both. Get the SE as a backup. It's a slick little phone and I personally love it. Couple that with the latest JB and it's the best phone out in terms of compactness, speed, and usability.

    I will be getting the iPhone 7 Plus as well.
     
  21. MarcusH thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    #21
    Gentlemen and ladies

    Many thanks for all your comments, looks like I've little excuse for for further delay.

    MH

    PS Respect to Phil A. and daughter for raising over £500 for Macmillan Cancer Support
     
  22. akash.nu macrumors 68030

    akash.nu

    Joined:
    May 26, 2016
    #22
    And you know this for sure from which source?!
     
  23. Count Blah macrumors 68030

    Count Blah

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    US of A
    #23
    Except for the demand, there is no reason.

    I agree :rolleyes:
     
  24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

    lordofthereef

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2011
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #24
    I don't know if I follow the logic. They made an entirely new color for the lineup, something not necessary if all you want to do is use old stock. Internals also require an entirely new board deign and manufacturing process even if certain components are the same. I don't think it's as simple as (we have too much left over). The 6s will likely be sold directly by Apple for at least another two years, if their track record holds out. I highly doubt they so severely overmanufactured their components that they have enough to go two years AND add another phone into the mix.
     
  25. HEK Suspended

    HEK

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2013
    #25
    Very short time to wait. Unless you are without phone I would wait, price might drop.
     

Share This Page