Can I get the cheap Razr then Upgrade to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LillieDesigns, Jul 12, 2007.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

OK, I've read other people's plans to sign up for ATT and get a cheap or free phone like the Razr and then upgrade to the iPhone and get the Razr in the process. The problem is I can't find any posts about the results of doing this.

I like this idea because if I can switch my SIM into my Razr when I go to the beach (will that even work? is it possible?) and other places i don't want to risk my iPhone.

If this is possible, are all my contacts stored on my SIM card? What's the cheapest plan I can get? I really only need the least amount of minutes and unlimited data/texting. Will this end up costing more per month than just having the iPhone save the initial cost of the Razr?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your answers.

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Yes you can. Also, you'll typically find better deals on phones + new contract online (walmart), avoid the brick & mortar stores.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think you need to get the RAZR first then come back and get the iPhone.

4. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

So technically I can grab a Razr Tuesday and upgrade Wednesday?

5. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Yes

6. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

So if I were to get a Krazr on Walmart.com, I then upgrade to the iPhone. So do I just not use the Krazr's sim and only use the one that came with the iPhone?

Like I said before I just want to have the Krazr for the times my iPhone may be in danger. Do i still get my text messaging and all that?

I'm on Sprint and have never used a SIM card sorry :eek:

7. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

You will need to activate the iPhone with it's preinstalled SIM. Once that's activated, the SIM from the Krazr will be deactivated. Also, you will be billed prorated the days between when you first activated the Krazr and iPhone.

8. Gigahurtz macrumors newbie

Yes, you can do this ....

But why not fork over the money for the Treo 750 and send away for rebate and get it for $199. Sell it on eBay for $500+ and buy an iPhone :)

9. meagain macrumors 68030

"Boom!" :p

10. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Well I figure I have two options:

1 - I can get a Krazr and keep it for SIM swaps when needed.

2 - Sell the Krazr or a more expensive phone on ebay and either lose the Sprint cancellation or even get more bang for my buck.

Problem with ebay is, I never seem to rack up the high bids :(

11. meagain macrumors 68030

I was going to do option 1.

The phone would have to be 3g and be able to tether to the laptop cuz the iPhone doesn't tether right now. And Edge is molassas. You might want to get one that will Tether to be used as a modem to run a laptop if you have the need.

12. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Is the data still unlimited when I plug the sim card into a different phone or am I just losing little things like visual voicemail?

Really, all I need the second phone to do is make calls, text, and maybe check the weather or movie times.

13. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Make sure to get the discounted phone first. I made the mistake of buying the iPhone first, and wow, what hassle I went through to get my discounted subsidy phone.

14. fanboy macrumors member

I went to WireFly and bought a Sony W810i (w/ 2 year contract) for $0.10 and received a $100 rebate. Then upgraded to the iPhone. iPhone activation was smooth. Even though both phone were activated, it seems I was charged for one activation. Not sure whether that's just my mistake on how to interpret the bill, or I was really only charged once.

I suppose the subsidy is the $100 rebate plus what I can get for the W810i on EBay.

15. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

My plan is to switch to ATT and get a new, free, phone via the internet and once it comes I'll go to the ATT store and upgrade to the iPhone. Hopefully, the SIM cars stuff works ok.

16. NemoMac macrumors member

Here is some good news for long-time Cingular/AT&T customers. You are entitled to an equipment discount every 20 months.

After reading this thread this afternoon, I decided to give the AT&T Customer Service Line a call. My account was up in May, and I had decided to wait until I got my iPhone on launch day to renew for the next two year contract. I felt foolish that I hadn't thought of getting the free phone.

The lady on the Help Line was very friendly and told me that I was certainly entitled to an upgraded phone with my account, since I had purchased the iPhone myself. She said I should go to my AT&T account page and led me to this section:

Mobile Information > Phone/Device > Upgrade Phone

From there I was able to view all the discounted phone options and choose which one I wanted to have sent to me for an upgrade. I decided to go with the Samsung SYNC - since it was cheap (less to mess with) but is still fetching a good price on eBay.

The service rep told me that as long as I didn't follow the activation instructions that come with the new SIM card, it would be fine and not interfere with the SIM that came with my iPhone. She said I should just put it someplace safe in case I ever need another SIM card again (though I don't know why I would). For those who are wondering, I had previously been told by a rep at the AT&T Store where I bought my iPhone that the iPhone's SIM card will work in any other network-compatible phone and I will still be able to use the data plan for MediaNet. As for those who plan on getting the other phone first and then activating the iPhone - your iPhone SIM will replace the other SIM as soon as you sync with iTunes.

Take a look:
    [​IMG]

In addition to that charge on my credit card, I will have a one-time $18 "upgrade fee" on my next bill. Now my account says I will be eligible for another "equipment discount" on 3/14/2009. :)

One last note: I have always had great experiences with AT&T and Cingular's Customer Service Reps whenever I have had questions for them on the phone. Props to them!

17. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

18. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you guys go to AT&T's website is says that upgrading to the iphone from your current plan doesn't eliminate your free upgrade when your normal contract would be up.

But if you are a new customer, definitely get a discounted phone first. Although I think AT&T anticipated this, as a lot of phones have a mail in rebate that says you must be on a data plan of 35 or higher per month, so we lose around 100 in the process.

I am eligible for an upgrade and I am going with the treo 680 refurb from cingular. Only 99 bucks, no mail in rebate. Sells for around 250-300 on ebay.

19. thedudeAbides macrumors member

Family Plan

So, if i want 2 iphones, will signing up with a family plan to receive multiple free phones be better? has anyone actually done this? can i avoid the activation fee?

thanks!

20. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

The iPhones are excluded from any discounts under the family plan. Can't help you with the free phone question.

21. njpodder macrumors regular

Woah, hold on here! THis might work. Okay, so I bought an iPhone today but have not activated it yet. I am up for a discount on my service plan already. Could I go online, order a free phone right now, and then go home and activate the iPhone, then just sell the new phone when it arrives in the mail? That is perfect because I told them I was leaving ATT and they agreed to even drop the one time upgrade fee for me, so I won't even have to pay for that. Will this idea REALLY work???

22. jlanuez macrumors 6502

If their is no activation fee on your two free phones than, YES.

23. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

To the OP:

You will need to sync the RAZR or KRZR using isync (or whatever you would use on windows if you have a PC) to get your contacts.

I'd suggest programming in only the people you desperately will need to reach or you think will be trying to reach you. I have a cheap phone for rugby tournament weekends and only have my team, family, and a few close friends programmed in. Anyone else isn't necessary. If you are using the extra phone for specific reasons you may find the same to be true for you.

24. hobo macrumors regular

Not necessary, but why not just sync them anyway? I can see this if you can't sync (for example if you have no bluetooth). You never know who you might need to call! If you mean "unnecessary" as in "possible security risk", then it might be slightly different, but not much. Just curious.

25. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Well for my example my crap phone is bluetoothless. Probably should have made that clearer.