Can I get the iPhone 3G/3Gs, cancel the data plan after 1 month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnisatard, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tnisatard macrumors 6502

Im making this thread for my friend

he wants a phone with wifi and i told him to do this

buy an iphone 3g/3gs, pay for 1 month of the iphone data plan, then switch the sim card to his razr, cancel the data plan saying he lost the iphone, then unlock the iphone and just use it for wifi

he doesnt care about the data plan, but he wants a phone with wifi

thanks in advance

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You would need to use some program like BossPrefs to disable edge/3G. Otherwise AT&T will be happy to tack back on the data plan for you automatically. :)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There's no need for all the lying.

He'll have to pay an early termination fee and the pro-rated amounts that they charge. It's not cheap.

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I believe his "friend' does not plan to leave ATT in which case, there is no need for ETF. He just wants to use the iphone without the iphone data plan.

5. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Gotta pay to play the iPhone game.

Tell your "friend" to get an iPod Touch and the Skype App and a headset.

Steve

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Only way around, would be for him to pay full price for a phone (without a plan), and then use a prepaid SIM card, with a GoPhone plan or something like that. I don't think you can have an iphone on the AT&T network with voice only.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

AT&T + iPhone = $30 data plan. It's the price to play with the iPhone, and it's how AT&T can make some money.

You can't always get what you want!

8. dns72 macrumors member

I think the data plan is great. It's well worth it and neccesary for the iPhone. Like others have said, he should just an iPod touch and use skype.

9. taran420 macrumors 6502a

I don't know how AT&T works but Rogers let's you cancel your dAta plan for a maximum charge of $100. And you can cancel a minute after you get it

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The first part is subjective and the second is completely incorrect.

I don't think so.

11. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Ugh what's with people that get iPhones and no data plan. It totally defeats the purpose. If there is wifi around dude prolly has his laptop, unless he opted to get a laptop that can only plug into ethernet, which wouldn't surprise me with this guy.

12. MichealWeston macrumors newbie

AT&T has ways to figure out what phone is being used on the account at all times. Once the Iphone has been detected on the phone line the internet service plan will be readded to the account. Listen it's always been go big or go home with the Iphone, for you to have the phone on the AT&T service plan you need to also have the data plan. Even if you switch phones and sim as soon as a iphone is detected through one of the many sweeps that is performed each month to detect phones on incorrect plans an Iphone data plan will be added to the account. No way around it. If they detect multiple occurances of fraudulant activity such as removing the data plan you agree to when you sign the 2 year contract AT&T has all rights to cancel the plan as well and also charge you for full price of the phone on your credit card, that's why AT&T requires a credit card now to purchase the phone.

13. dns72 macrumors member

Good point, I really like all of the details in that post and all the explanations you gave for your reasoning.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What he says its true. You don't need the $30 plan. Not everyone can afford the monthly charge.

Also, if he wants and iPhone, no one should say otherwise.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats false

16. ant131531 macrumors member

Yes, i read on ATT site when seeing how ordering online works, it saids the iPhone plan will be on for the life of your iPhone. Att has a right to add a data plan to your bill if it has been detected you do not have one.

17. jacobgaul macrumors regular

yes applejuiced is correct.

ant; altho they state it that is incorrect, i removed it after 1 month of having it and switched to family data and have had no issues, just have to change some info around

18. Tajik macrumors newbie

Unlocked Iphone 3G

Hi guys,

Can you clarify smth for me? It has been bothering me. So I bought a phone off of craigslist. It is unlocked and jailbroken iphone 3g with the very latest software. I am an ATT customer. How can I make sure I do not incur any data charges? I want to use the phone to make calls and use internet ONLY on wifis. I do not want the data plan because it is expensive. I was using internet without a SIM yesterday on my home wifi. I put in my SIM and my ATT account online shows that I have an iphone. Will there be any data charges and how to avoid them? Thanks a lot.

19. ChaSSe macrumors member

No its not. ATT will readd it and then let you know that it has been readded.

20. ChaSSe macrumors member

Then just use it on wifi. You dont have to tell them you have an iPhone, but if they found out that you were using one with out a data plan they will tack one on.

21. Tajik macrumors newbie

If I only use wifi, will I uncur any charges like when I use the phone for making calls? ATT told me that they can't add data plan without my permission. And do I need to turn off any settings like 3g to avoid charges? THanks for your help

22. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

There's no way to. They can tell and will slap the charge on there. You're SOL.

23. dns72 macrumors member

of course not everyone needs the data plan, but what I was saying is that it's neccesary if you want to be with AT&T

24. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Since AT&T can detect what kind of phone you are using fairly quickly, chances are they will add the data plan on there or send you messages saying you need to add one (I have heard of this happening).

25. ChaSSe macrumors member

We can add it whenever the system shows that you are using an iPhone. We can tell this by seeing what device is making the calls, sending the texts or using any kind of data.