Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
So I hate Lion. Hate everything about it. It won't push audio properly to my receiver, my battery life is down 40%, and my wife absolutely HATES the grey finder color scheme with a passion (late 2010 13" MBP used primarily for media and internet). iPhoto '11 is also much less stable.

I"m wondering if I can go back to Snow Leopard or not. I did a TM backup immediately before I upgraded to Lion.

But here's the issue: my iPhoto '11 library has been "upgraded" now for Lion. Is it even possible to go back to iPhoto '09? My iPhoto library is very large (46k items) and stored on an external drive, and it was not part of my TM backup prior to installing.

Any help? Thanks gang.

chillvisio

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
Comment deleted, because it no longer represents my current view on subject.

Last edited:

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007

chillvisio

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011

Last edited:

blackomega31

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This thread is music to my ears. More power to those that understand that lion has failed. If they could have made it purely a backbone update like snow leopard was it would have been great but nothing they changed in the UI was good

It really bugs me how people dissed snow leopard because of how it didn't change much. IMO I think it took leopard that was almost perfection and perfected it. Snow leopard was the best piece of software apple ever produced. And I will stand by it. As I have stated in other forums if apple wants to follow this road they have chosen. Making an operating system that is on par with something fisher price would produce. I'm done with them. And the day that I am forced to upgrade to lion because of some new feature that only lion supports. I will be going back to windows. Cause I would rather have to have to deal with antivirus and .dll files then this lion (kitten) crap

MACza

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I am SO glad I resisted the urge to upgrade to Lion. Still happily running 10.6.8 and can see NO compelling reason to upgrade to Lion.

Will wait until all the crap is sorted out and then re-evaluate further down the line.

As it looks now, I will only upgrade once I am forced by the apps I am using to upgrade to Lion - fortunately nothing on the horizon yet...

EDIT: People who purchased Lion that are unhappy with it must PLEASE vote it down on the AppStore. Hopefully that will force Apple to at least LISTEN to the valid complaints from users in order to make Lion a great OS.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I will be going back to windows. Cause I would rather have to have to deal with antivirus and .dll files then this lion (kitten) crap

You know Lion isn't going anywhere. Just come to reality, sell your Mac, get two Windows PC's and be twice as happy.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is why I hate all photo applications that force your pictures into a Library.

chillvisio

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011

Last edited:

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for this, I'll look into it! I'm mostly concerned about my iPhoto library.

The backup will revert all your files (as in system files and applications) to the state they were at in your backup. iPhoto will be reverted to the version in your backup and your iPhoto library will also be reverted and work fine.

The iPhoto library that is stored in the Pictures folder is just a bundle folder containing all you photos. If you right click it and select "show package contents", you will find a folder containing all your pictures in their original form.

Last edited:

NickAndopolis

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Will the process be the same for a time machine backup created on an old Macbook running Snow Leopard to a new Macbook Pro with Lion? The Lion machine is still new in box and has never been turned on if that changes anything. Thanks.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Will the process be the same for a time machine backup created on an old Macbook running Snow Leopard to a new Macbook Pro with Lion? The Lion machine is still new in box and has never been turned on if that changes anything. Thanks.

I remember cloning my macbook Leopard installation to my Dell vostro using carbon copy cloner.

Using time machine may not work for your macbook pro as you need to boot from the snow leopard install dvd to restore a Snow Leopard time machine backup. Your macbook pro might not be able to boot the install dvd.

One method that -might- work would be to take the hard drive out of the macbook pro and put in into an external usb closure. Then use carbon copy cloner to clone your macbook hd to the usb drive. You should also restore your Lion install image to a partition on the macbook pro hard drive. When you finish copying it put the hard drive back into the macbook pro.

Boot from the Lion installer you restored to the macbook pro hard drive and then use the terminal to bless the copied snow leopard install that you also put on the HD to make it bootable.

Of course if you try this , back up everything on the macbook pro before doing anything in case you want to restore your laptop to its original state.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.