Can I increase the Ram on my Mac Book Pro??????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by musicmakesmagic, Jul 29, 2010.

1. musicmakesmagic macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of Ram (1x1) and recently upgraded the operating system to 10.5.8.

The problem is that the computer has slowed down considerably especially since I also installed CS5.

I'm thinkin that it is a ram problem and need to upgrade but through my research it states that my computer won't take anymore ram which is unbelievable. Can I install more ram or do something else to make it faster?

Need some serious help.
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It can use up to 3GB RAM. You'd have to install 4GB and the extra would be wasted.

Buying RAM

3. musicmakesmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply GGJstudios.
    I heard that you can get a 4GB ram for one slot.....will this make any difference and increase the ram to 5GB (4+1) or 6GB (4+2)??

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the max your MBP will use is 3GB.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

He's right ^^

Your Macbook Pro will take as much ram as you give it, but it will only use 3GB hence wasting the rest of it.

6. musicmakesmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool and do you think that the extra ram you refered to will make an overall difference to the slowness of my computer?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

More RAM is always a good thing, especially going from 2GB to something higher.

8. musicmakesmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks
    Just one more thing....since my up grade I have noticed my laptop overheating with the fan on constantly......why has this happened cause it never did before the upgrade?

9. musicmakesmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou soo much for your help....much appreciated.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Has the computer actually physically slowed down after installing CS5 or does it just run cs5 slowly?

How much free hard disk space do you have? If the CS5 install made you low on free hard disk space it could make files become fragmented as you create them making the hard disk spin more to access the same amount of information, possibly adding to the heat problem....

11. musicmakesmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Both....it takes longer to start up and when conducting large documents in indesign or photoshop it takes a while for actions to take place.....this never happen before the OS upgrade and I had CS3 as well.
    I will have a look at what space I have te see if your right but I think there is enough as I use an external drive to save all my documents.