Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fleali88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Ok I've googled and searched, and I cant find anything on this, Ive looked at the take aparts on 3g and 3gS iphones. and it looks to me the all the parts are shaped the same. does any one have any proof or know for sure, if I can install parts for an iphone 3gS into my iphone 3g?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Ok I've googled and searched, and I cant find anything on this, Ive looked at the take aparts on 3g and 3gS iphones. and it looks to me the all the parts are shaped the same. does any one have any proof or know for sure, if I can install parts for an iphone 3gS into my iphone 3g?

No.. different layouts

n19htmare

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
are there any parts that would work?, like the camera?

only some parts will work. the internals for both are different.

both use the same buttons... both use the same sim tray, both use the same screen but different digitizers (could be interchangeable since the only difference is coating).

No you can't swap the camera. Because the 3g board wont be able to control it (higher pixel, autofocus etc).

What exactly u trying to change?

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
only some parts will work. the internals for both are different.

both use the same buttons... both use the same sim tray, both use the same screen but different digitizers (could be interchangeable since the only difference is coating).

No you can't swap the camera. Because the 3g board wont be able to control it (higher pixel, autofocus etc).

What exactly u trying to change?

He thinks he will be the first to try and put the 3gs camera into the 3g

its been done before and it doesn't work ( different hardware = different drivers)

I have one installed right now, just finished about 10 minutes ago. When going to the camera app the iris simply never opens so camera and video are not available.

fleali88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
He thinks he will be the first to try and put the 3gs camera into the 3g

its been done before and it doesn't work ( different hardware = different drivers)

no.... i simply want to know for experimental purposes, but i would like to know if the battery would work.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
It's not a standardized PC; it's a highly customized consumer device with software and hardware designed only to work with each other. The 3G doesn't have the know-how to use the 3gs parts, except the parts that are used in both.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Will a cat liver fit in a dog? Perhaps, but why the hell would I care to find out for sure?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

fleali88 said:
WHY

just use a 3g one

doesnt the 3gs have better battery life?

Better battery life doesn't necessarily mean better battery. They could use the same battery and components that are less power consuming, like the CPU, to get better battery life. There are tons of factors in battery life, not just the battery itself.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Frankenphone!!!
leopard_iphone.jpg

boucheman414

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I have done it

I can tell you that I have just successfully put a 3gs battery, and logic board into basically a 3g frame. The reason for doing this was that the 3gs was dropped a few times leaving the lock button almost shot. Also the metal rim of the 3gs was coming apart and causing some problems. Then some other weird stuff started happening. So I decided to try to take the logic board and battery out of the 3gs and put them into the 3g.
Now, to do this take out the logic board and pull out the battery and the sync port (search youtube for some "how to" vids). Then, simply pull the same parts out of the 3g along with the camera(the camera will not work so just take it out to save you the trouble, also I heard it wouldn't work anyways because of software mismatch but I didn't try it I just took the whole camera out). Then it's a matter of just replacing parts. Firmly press the 3gs battery back into place in the 3g shell, then replace the sync port and logic board. Also, I forgot to mention you need to keep the whole 3gs screen assembly (glass digitizer and all) to put into the 3g shell, sry bout that, but it fits right in the 3g. Then simply reconnect all the connectors and place the screen back on and screw it in. That's it. And everything works just like the 3gs but in a 3g "body" even the headphone jack is compatible so you dont have to replace it. Just the battery, logic board, and screen.

Egobudike

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
England
I can tell you that I have just successfully put a 3gs battery, and logic board into basically a 3g frame. The reason for doing this was that the 3gs was dropped a few times leaving the lock button almost shot. Also the metal rim of the 3gs was coming apart and causing some problems. Then some other weird stuff started happening. So I decided to try to take the logic board and battery out of the 3gs and put them into the 3g.
Now, to do this take out the logic board and pull out the battery and the sync port (search youtube for some "how to" vids). Then, simply pull the same parts out of the 3g along with the camera(the camera will not work so just take it out to save you the trouble, also I heard it wouldn't work anyways because of software mismatch but I didn't try it I just took the whole camera out). Then it's a matter of just replacing parts. Firmly press the 3gs battery back into place in the 3g shell, then replace the sync port and logic board. Also, I forgot to mention you need to keep the whole 3gs screen assembly (glass digitizer and all) to put into the 3g shell, sry bout that, but it fits right in the 3g. Then simply reconnect all the connectors and place the screen back on and screw it in. That's it. And everything works just like the 3gs but in a 3g "body" even the headphone jack is compatible so you dont have to replace it. Just the battery, logic board, and screen.

One of my Friends has also done this by using a 3G battery with 3G frame...god knows how did he managed it exactly..may be the similar way you mentioned..and then using camera and watching videos & everything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.