Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Finally got the Apple TV 4 32GB! Love it so far! But, say my wife and I put the kids to bed, then we want to watch something without waking the kids up, surely it must be possible to pair at least 2 sets of bluetooth earbuds/headphones via bluetooth, right? If not possible, why on earth would Apple limit this to 1 set of earbuds/headphones? If Apple has chosen to be so restrictive, can anyone recommend a device that would plug into the ATVs audio output and pair with multiple earbuds/headphones/audio devices?

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
you can pair multiple Bluetooth headphones but Apple TV only outputs to one at a time. I already tested it. once I turn on the second headphone, the first one automatically got disconnected.

This is more of how sound output works, not ATV specific limit. this same limit is the same on PC. you can't output to more than one set of speakers or headphones at once.

you can use Sennheiser RS Wireless Headphones if you want multiple headphones.

Reactions: APlotdevice

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
...worst case scenario, a bluetooth reciever like this one...
Might as well spend $8 more and get a combo transmitter/receiver. I've been using the MPOW StreamBot for about 6 months, and it works quite well, long battery life. Has a switch to toggle it between transmit or receive. I use with my ATV4 as a backup if the battery in my Jaybird X2's runs out.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
...This is more of how sound output works, not ATV specific limit. this same limit is the same on PC. you can't output to more than one set of speakers or headphones at once...

This doesn't make sense. Audio ouput to multiple receivers seems like the easiest hurdle in this high tech world. I don't understand the technical limitation you're referring to. It doesn't make sense. :confused:

LOLobo

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Many years ago decided my son needed to be able to sleep, even if there is background noise. Hasn't failed yet.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
This doesn't make sense. Audio ouput to multiple receivers seems like the easiest hurdle in this high tech world. I don't understand the technical limitation you're referring to. It doesn't make sense. :confused:

can you connect two bluetooth headphones to an iphone and listen to both of them? of course not, even though iphone is much more advanced. The same to MOST home theater receivers, which output to one set of speakers.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
can you connect two bluetooth headphones to an iphone and listen to both of them? of course not, even though iphone is much more advanced. The same to MOST home theater receivers, which output to one set of speakers.

Oh, ok.. as technologically advanced as this world is and they cannot figure out how to stream mere audio to more than 1 bluetooth receiver? what?! o_O

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
normanfox, I'm being sarcastic but also I'm dead serious... XM satellite radio is digital, right? and it can broadcast to an infinite number of receivers. So why is everyone here painting Bluetooth as technically unable to broadcast to more than 1 receiver? This just makes no sense!

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Because it isn't just broadcasting, it is communicating back and forth. Think of it like a telephone. We had to deal with communication between 2 locations only for a very long time before 3rd party or conference call technology came along.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Well since Bluetooth supports only 1 audio device at a time, does anyone know of an elegant way multiple people (at least 2, ie. me and my wife) can listen to the audio from the new Apple TV privately (headphones) and wirelessly?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Well since Bluetooth supports only 1 audio device at a time, does anyone know of an elegant way multiple people (at least 2, ie. me and my wife) can listen to the audio from the new Apple TV privately (headphones) and wirelessly?
Yes, RF-based wireless headphones usually have no problem transmitting to multiple sets. The only thing is you'll need to split the audio out... Your TV may or may not have audio outputs for this.

sbishop

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
Vancouver, British Columbia
What if one were to get an old school analog splitter, hook it up to the headphone jack of your AppleTV4 / iPhone and then buy two Bluetooth transmitters. Then one could hook up both transmitters to each end of the splitter and pair each to the desired bluetooth headphones. Maybe not elegant but it keeps the wires of a straight up analog system (like the one my wife and I are currently using) out of your lap! I might try this out. This thread got me thinking along those lines. Thanks for those who volunteered constructive info to help resolve the question. :)

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
This seems like something Apple could add with software. Even iTunes allows output to be set to multiple speakers.

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
What if one were to get an old school analog splitter, hook it up to the headphone jack of your AppleTV4 / iPhone and then buy two Bluetooth transmitters. Then one could hook up both transmitters to each end of the splitter and pair each to the desired bluetooth headphones. Maybe not elegant but it keeps the wires of a straight up analog system (like the one my wife and I are currently using) out of your lap! I might try this out. This thread got me thinking along those lines. Thanks for those who volunteered constructive info to help resolve the question. :)

There is no headphone jack on the ATV4. The only output on the ATV4 itself is HDMI, which carries both the digital audio and video signals.

Last edited:

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
There is no headphone jack on the ATV4. The only output on the ATV4 itself is HDMI, which carries both the digital audio and video signals.

sbishop

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
Vancouver, British Columbia

True! Fortunately the projector we have our new ATV4 hooked up to does have a headphone out jack. So I purchased an analog splitter along with two $25 bluetooth transmitters from Amazon and voila - worked like a dream! If the device you hook the ATV up to has an analog out then you're set. Agreed - it would be nice to have multiple outs to avoid this, but for now it's great not having the wires around. We enjoyed our first movie with this configuration tonight. Ahhhhh. :)

solomanii

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
Might as well spend $8 more and get a combo transmitter/receiver. I've been using the MPOW StreamBot for about 6 months, and it works quite well, long battery life. Has a switch to toggle it between transmit or receive. I use with my ATV4 as a backup if the battery in my Jaybird X2's runs out.

I am in the same bind and have an older TV which doesn't do Bluetooth but does have a headphone jack. Does this device allow at least two headphones to connect simultaneously via Bluetooth?

Thanks.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Easily resolved...

Dongle A: HDMI audio extractor to split off the digital audio into an analog signal.
Dongle B: Analog audio splitter (2 way, 3 way, whatever you need- however many sets of earphones you want to be able to listen at the same time).
Dongle C: Analog to Bluetooth Transmitter (one for each set of BT headphones you want to be able to use at the same time).

Of course this is taking that "pure" digital signal, converting it to analog, then something else is converting it to (BT) digital again, but us "digital is better" people can just pretend like that's not happening. ;)

So, let's say someone wants to play to both themselves and a spouse. 1 Dongle A, 1 Dongle B that splits into 2 cables and 2 Dongle Cs (assuming BOTH people have BT headphones/buds).

Yes depending on your situation, by this point, you may have spent more on dongles than you did on the :apple:TV.

Bonus: Dongle B and Dongle(s) C can go traveling with you too to bring similar functionality to mobile devices. To cover all bases, be sure to bring the Lightning to Headphone jack dongle into which Dongle B can plug... as well as Dongle D+ options in case the cute person in the seat next to you with whom you wish to share some audio happens to have wired headphones but no BT ones with them. Then, you need dongles for USB3C and Lightning-terminated wired phones/buds for them... OR you might opt to bring along an extra pair of BT ones to share with that near-stranger... OR you can just say "sorry, I can't share my audio with you because, between the 2 of us, we do not have the necessary combination of dongles to make a sharable connection possible."

Welcome to "the future" of audio. Apparently, it's a kind-of mobile Radio Shack future: dongles for all seasons. ;)

Update: but it's all worth it while we eventually transition to USB3C (probably still many years from now) right? And then there's this article to show what fun "the future" of wired really is.

"What happens when you fragment away from a very-long-term, very-well-established 'just works' with everything standard for $800, Alex." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.