Can I password protect a single file (.doc/.txt)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sunsnewmac, Jul 31, 2007.

1. sunsnewmac macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When saving your DOC file in Word, click on the options button and it'll give you a list of, er, options... One of these is the ability to add a password to your file. Will this suffice?

3. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I'm not using MS but Neo. I didn't know this would be a program-specific function, so I will have to figure out how to do it from there.

What if I wanted to password protect a whole folder?

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There is no way to password protect a file or a folder, per se. There are apps out there that say they do, but they simply ask for a password to open the app, but make the file/folder invisible to the Finder. Whoop-De-Doo. Anybody can find your unprotected files pretty easily if they look.

Google for how to create a password protected disk image.

Free. Easy. Protected.

Done.

6. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

duh, yes i realized that after I asked the question. All I really need is to password protect a few .doc files I have. I need to figure out how to do that through NeoOffice, which cannot protect a .doc file, only an .xml file. I Saved As...xxx.xml but the option is grayed out. So I posted on the NeoOffice Trinity forum to get an answer there.

Anyway thanks for all your help.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Start Disk Utility. Create a new disk image. Choose the size you want, the encryption you want, and the password you want.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as I can tell, NeoOffice supports opening and working with files that came from MS Office that were already protected there, but it doesn't support creating new .doc, etc files that have protection.

So your options are...

1) In the save as, click on the list pulldown and you'll see one of the first formats at the top is OpenDocument. This format supports creation with a password in Neo. Select it, the password box will not be grey anymore, you can click it, and you'll be prompted to enter a password. The documents will not be usable on MS Office but will be usable by others who have NeoOffice or OpenOffice, if they have your password.

2) Switch to MS Office

3) Use a different encryption strategy.