Can I pick a phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

If I want a phone number with the first 3 digits being 3 specific numbers I want, is it possible?

2. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

no, not that I know off...

3. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

You can ask, they may or may not let you, but still ask.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I work for Verizon, but it is the same for all the companies. Your cell phone company owns a specific group of cell phone numbers. You can pick the area/zip code, and they will tell you all the numbers that are available. You can pick the first three of the number if they have it available, but the last four of your phone number is always random. Also we charge $15 as a number change fee but we waive it for reloaction (moving) or "harassing" calls. Tell them that's why you need you number changed to get it done for free. :)

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Working in the operations side of the house for many years one thing has bothered me about that. Once we started allowing local number portability how the hell did you guys keep up with all your numbers :D

Used to work for Verizon Business :) Well they do still pay me but just no longer work for them.

6. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

For AT&T, my friend works there, and he gave me a custom number.

I chose the last 4 digits, he gave me the first three.

My number is ###-JRAM

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

When I wanted to change my phone number last year, I was given 3-4 choices and I picked the best one. I don't see why they shouldn't let you.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

The way we keep track of our numbers is there is an MDN (Mobile Directory Number); which is your regular phone number that is ported. Then there is an MIN (Mobile Identification Number) which is assigned by the carrier which is usually different than the MDN if the number is ported from an outside company. Or if it is our number to begin with then the MDN and MIN are usually the same. Bascially the MIN is what we use to tag our own numbers. The customer isn't usually informed of this number unless manual phone programming is needed. :)

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Learn something new everyday :cool:

10. Jamz00 macrumors member

My friend works at At&t and he let me look through the entire number database and pick the number closest to what I wanted. I have a pretty easy number.

11. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I was sorta able to choose all ten numbers.

It ended up that I preferred the main 7 main numbers over having a certain area code and sorta the 7 main numbers I wanted.

They (AT&T) had a number of choices available, probably spent 10mins going thru them.

This was about 2 years ago though.

12. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

jmann, you work for verizon, but have a 3GS?:p
    lol

13. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

I'll just assume you haven't heard of the new CDMA version Apple released this morning....

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

"Soon to be" It is still currently a 3G. I think I'm actually going to pass on the "S" though. and wait for next year. My current iPhone is unlocked on T-Mobile so I'm fine for now. :)

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

sounds like ur a great loyal verizon Employee.;):D

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

sure you can. I was able to select the number I have within the range of numbers that AT&T owned. Depending on your salesman and what's available the process may take a little time, I had a difficulty finding a number with the number I thought would be easy to remember but in the end I found one and the salesman was very patient and helpful.