Can I put 3GS SIM in 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmcclure16, Jun 9, 2010.

1. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

So I'm going to be doing the Best Buy tradein for my 3GS and since that takes up to 14 days I don't want to be completely without a phone for 2 weeks. I have an old first gen iPhone sitting around that I was planning on using. I was wondering if I could just put my 3GS SIM into the 2G and have it work fine and retain my current $30 unlimited data plan that I have with AT&T?

I've switched the SIM but when it connects to iTunes it wants me to verify my account and before I go any further I want to make sure that they won't change my data plan on me or try to set it up as a new line or anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :) :apple:

2. passionblue macrumors newbie

I am definitely wondering this too. I was able to unlock my 2G and get it working, but I'm living in fear that they'll automatically switch me to the 2G data plan. I don't think they have yet though (I don't really know how to check though either...)

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

You need to unlock your 2G phone first. Otherwise, if you activate through iTunes, it will change you back to the 2G's $20 plan, which would stop you from being able to keep your $30 unlimited plan.

4. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I unlock the phone, AT&T will still recognize it as my 3GS with the $30 data plan?

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is not true at all.

A) You are still grandfathered into unlimited data with the $20 plan
    B) It won't automatically change your data plan
    C) Yes, you can take your 3G iPhone SIM and drop it into your iPhone 2G.....no probs.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I was with you until step C.

Recall that the original iPhone pairs the SIM with the phone during the iPhone activation step. So unless you are still using your old SIM from the original iPhone in your iPhone 3GS. You will see the SIM issue unless you unlock your original iPhone.

Yes, I have been using my original SIM from the original iPhone to the 3G and then to the 3GS but now with the new Microsim it will be retired. :(

Dave

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

This is correct. I have used my sim from my 3G in my 2G for months at a time and my data plan never changed to the 2G data plan. Itunes wil simply ask you to connect to iTunes to activate. I've done it many times lately.

The only time the data plan will change is if you place a sim which has a 2G data plan into a 3G or 3GS iPhone. AT&T has been changing data plans to 3G data plans without warning.

Several weeks ago, I placed a 2G sim into my 3G for five minutes and AT&T changed my data plan to the 3G data plan two hours later. Yeah all it took was five minutes.

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I put my 3GS through the wash, so I moved my SIM card back to my original 2G phone. So I have dealt with the exact situation.

A) Do you have a link where it says that, if I have the $20 2G plan, they will bump me up to a $30 unlimited plan?

There's not much info out there, but this TUAW post states that the new plans only affect 3G users, not 2G original iPhone users on EDGE. I assume this means when you go to a 3G-capable phone, you are a "new" 3G customer so you get the "new" plans. Not unlimited 3G, because you didn't have unlimited 3G before. You had Edge.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/02/candid-answers-from-atandt-on-the-new-iphone-data-plans/4

B) It will change your data plan. Not "automatically", but to be able to use the 2G phone again, you have to activate it through iTunes. At that time, it will require that your plan gets changed back to the 2G plan. That is what the OP was asking about, and why I said that if you can, you should "unlock" your 2G phone before hand so that you don't have to deal with that.

C) Yes, but if the 2G isn't activated or unlocked somehow already, the only thing you will be able to do is receive phone calls. Once you plug it into iTunes, you're required to sign back up for the 2G plan.

The only possiblity I see is that if you did it today, perhaps you could actually get iPhone 4 before your next bill cycle, and the 2G plan would never really take effect.

9. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm even more confused now. :(

So if I don't unlock will AT&T change my data plan to the $20 2G plan or keep it at the $30 plan?

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Read my reply above.

11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I guess what I should say is, go ahead and put your 3GS SIM in the 2G. If it works, great, you're golden. If it says you need to activate, don't do it. Either abandon the plan, or unlock if that's available for your firmware version.

Avoid any updates through iTunes to your 2G phone.

I got burned by this myself.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

This is wrong. Itunes will ask you to connect the iPhone to activate but it doesn't change a thing. It will not change your data plan, only activate the phone so it will work. Trust, me this is all it does.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, it's been posted by AT&T in a press release. Don't have the time to look it up but it's out there. We posted it here in the forum after a lot of debate (because we used to think the same thing.)

You are confusing the "activation" of a phone that's reset or never activated w/ the original setup. It will not require you to choose another data plan if a valid data plan is already on the line. See the other responses from others that have done this.

See above, you're assuming it's not activated. If it's been used before and not reset, it's activated.

No need to unlock. Is the phone activated? Can you access all the functions or is it sitting at an activation screen? If it's activated, drop in your sim and go....nothing more. This is not a difficult thing. Just some people make it more difficult due to their own misunderstanding of the system.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, it's amazing the amount of false information floating around. The phone will simply work with a 3G data plan and will not be changed to a 2G data plan. Even if the phone asks to be activated, its a 2 second process that involves connecting it to iTunes and then you are good to go. Itunes will not change your data plan by having to activate it and nothing will be lost. You will still have a 3G data plan no matter what.

15. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular

The phone was my original iPhone so it was previously activated on the AT&T network, and before I put in the SIM I could access all the functions of it aside from the phone portion, but as soon as I connect it to iTunes it wants to "activate" it and now it stays on the screen with the USB to iTunes.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Ok activate it. It takes two seconds. All it does is check that it is a valid iPhone sim and then the iPhone activates.

17. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Well, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, just sharing my experience. I think the problem for me happened when I updated my 2G phone with the 3GS SIM in it.

I had a 3GS, I moved my SIM to my 2G, I made the mistake of running an update to my 2G in iTunes, and after that it was deactivated until I signed up for the old 2G plan through iTunes.

I still call BS that someone who is on the 2G's $20 unlimited EDGE plan will automatically be bumped to the $30 unlimited plan. They were never 3G customers while that plan existed, so if they buy a new phone, they get the current ($25/2gb) 3G plan.

Good luck OP.

18. actorkid macrumors 6502

The false information is floating from your mouth brother.

I did exactly this just last night. I sold my 3GS, so I put my 3GS sim back into my original iphone. it then prompts you to connect to iTunes where you have to change to the 20 dollar unlimited data plan.

This does NOT mean you're signing a new contract, and it does NOT mean you cannot keep your 30 dollar unlimited plan when you upgrade to iPhone 4.

Doing this is harmless. Once you go to the apple store you can upgrade back up to the $30 unlimited plan, and purchase your new iPhone 4 at the fully subsidized price.

Source: I'm not an idiot. I also confirmed with AT&T customer service just to make sure.

19. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular

I get this when I try to do it.

Attached Files:

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I stand 100% by my word. You are thw one that is wrong.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Not sure what you are doing then because that is not what I see when I put my 3G sim into my 2G iPhone.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

http://consumerist.com/2010/06/hey-...-plan-and-still-get-the-unlimited-option.html

Edit:

23. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

You can put a 3GS sim wherever you want. :D

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Ok I just verified my posts above by placing my 3G sim into my 2G iPhone. It told me to connect to itunes, two seconds later, my iPhone was activated and running with no screen that you posted above.

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Can you skip it? If you cancel is the phone activated anyway?

Not sure why it is prompting this if your account has an iPhone data plan.

Either way, see above, you are still grandfathered w/ the $20 plan.