Can I rest a 15 in MacBook Pro on my chest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SlappyJoe, Jun 17, 2009.

1. SlappyJoe macrumors newbie

With it causing severe burns? I have an old iBook G4 that rests on my chest/stomach because I'm lazy as hell. It gets pretty warm, but not horrible. I've heard the new MacBooks are pretty hot. Will it singe my chest hairs and cook my skin? :confused:

2. SlappyJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

How hot do these guys get? Will it be uncomfortable to rest it on my bare skin? :confused:

3. nutman macrumors regular

it will not be fun on bare skin. i would get one of those laptop stand thingos that are slightly tilted and look like cushions. it does get rather hot but not hot like a stove. i usually have to move it around when i put it on my legs when i'm wearing only boxers, but with jeans its okay.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thread title suggests some allusion to cup size. :eek: Some are going to click hoping for pictures! Ha!

5. SlappyJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

haha :eek:

I'm a dude! :eek::eek::eek:

6. SlappyJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the advice!

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well i can tell you that if this was a chic named SlappyJoe i would not want to see what she looked like.:p

as for your question im a little perplexed. are you going to be using it while it is resting on your chest or do you plan on falling asleep this way? cause i would think trying to use you computer while it is on your chest would be difficult. but if you are falling asleep this way because you want to be close to it while you sleep then it is going to go into sleep mode and cool down anyway so you should be fine.

8. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I put it on my chest all the time but usually on my legs, and it does not get hot IMO. Only the top left corner area if anywhere, but nonetheless it's pretty coool unless you're using a lot of power.

When you get one, install smcFan control to help monitor heat / control fans

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

huh. well i dont know how you guys use it when it's on your chest. maybe my arms are to long to do this comfortably or something. but clearly i am unqualified to make any kind of comment on this matter and i retract my earlier post.

10. dannster macrumors regular

dannster

:eek: haha!

11. CarcinogenX macrumors member

I was so hoping for illustrations of a blond bombshell (living near me) having trouble using her mac.

Damn damn damn...

I've stated in other threads how surprised I am at how cool the uMBP runs. No sound, no heat...WTF is everyone else talking about?? Must have gotten lucky somehow.

I would assume that resting your computer an your chest is much like resting it on your lap, and since i have had no problems with that, I say got for it!!!

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You should try balancing it on your head and walking 50 paces.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

*pokes head in thread, no pics, leaves*

Seriously though I think you will be fine as long as you aren't taxing the processors encoding or ripping.

14. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

aha i put it on my chest when I have to read a large block of text in bed or a video sometimes

15. ste1989 macrumors member

courtesy of google images

[​IMG]

lol i use it on my chest when in a reclined chair with a footstool with my legs bent, resting the screen on my bent leg, and the bottom on my chest