Can I return my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ShadowXOR, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

Bought it from the Apple website, want to return it at a store. It has been opened and used very little, still in perfect condition. Also have a leather case. Still have receipt. Wasn't sure if they'll give me a full refund on opened items, I've never done anything like this before but the iPad 2 just isn't for me.

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

That should help. :)

Quote from that link:

For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return.

Items that cannot be returned include:

Opened memory
    Opened software*
    Electronic Software Downloads
    Personalized iPods
    Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
    Apple Gift Cards
    Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
    Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)
    * You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

They'll give you a full refund on all items within 14 days.

4. ShadowXOR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I saw that, but it seemed to only address sending the iPad directly back to them, I would prefer to just take it to a local store, if that's an option. Maybe I'm missing something?

EDIT:

Awesome, love Apple. :) Thanks!

5. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'm not sure if you bought it online you can take it back to store.. but if you try, and get back to us. Would be nice to know. Lots of people ask the question on this forum :)

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You just walk into the store and return it.

What did you not like about the iPad2?:confused:

7. ShadowXOR thread starter macrumors regular

It was "neat", but I just far prefer the convenience of my iPhone. I didn't like carrying it around and determined I can live with a smaller screen. And there were no iPad exclusive apps that really grabbed me. I have an iMac for home...my iPhone for everywhere else. I thought I needed something in-between but after a few days of use it seems that is not the case. :p

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Yes

The stores will take back online purchases. I called and was told that myself.

9. David R macrumors 6502

Last year when I asked about returning the original iPad case that I had purchased online, they said they could only give me store credit. If I wanted a true refund, I would have to return it to the online Apple Store.

Maybe it was incorrect information, or the rules have changed.

10. ShadowXOR thread starter macrumors regular

I just called my store and they said it was OK.

11. dayzy27 macrumors newbie

You can see what they'll do for you at the store, but if you want the credit back to your card, you'll need to return it to the Apple warehouse via mail.

I returned an extra smart cover that I bought online to the store today. First Apple person I talked to said he wasn't sure they could do anything. Second said that he would be able to give me a gift card. So, I have a gift card with the amount of a smart cover on it.

Unless you want a lot of store credit, I recommend doing it the way Apple suggests on their website (returning it with a RMA), because it's very possible the retail locations won't be able to fulfill your request. A family friend of mine who works at an Apple store says that hardware can't be returned to the store because of how inventory is tracked by serial number.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you put it up on eBay, you may be able to make a handsome profit on it while supplies are tight.

13. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Sell it someone outside in line never mind getting more money but make someone happy, Apple doesn't need it back!

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ebay fees might not bring that much of a profit. Try putting it on CL and see what happens. Otherwise just return it to Apple.

15. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I had issues with my ipad so i made a genius appointment and they swapped me a brand new one in minutes.. but I would have been able to get a refund also no problem

16. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Apple store and apple online store are two different entities in the company. If you want a refund you will need to send it in the mail, if you're ok with store credit, you can get it at the apple store. I've had to figure this out myself over the years but this is the answer.

17. ShadowXOR thread starter macrumors regular

FYI my store accepted the return no problem. They had to return my product to a gift card, then cashed out the gift card onto my credit card for the exact amount I paid.

The Apple employee was like you're returning it?! So many people here would probably freak out if they found out!

lol

18. Zihuat macrumors newbie

Thanks. Good info; could be gold if we ever need to "educate" a local Apple store. Reading this thread, it sounds like a training issue for Apple... some stores won't... some will. I once overheard a young Apple employee tell some poor schmoe he couldn't do a transaction** that I just completed two minutes prior in the same store!

**(Got credit for a cheaper/better Powerbook that came out just after I bought mine)