HomeKit Can I schedule my Christmas decoration lights

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by DominikHoffmann, Dec 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DominikHoffmann macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

I don’t have a HomeKit device, yet, other than an Apple TV 4. I am wondering, though, if I get HomeKit enabled power outlets (some of which require a separate hub, I am aware), will I be able to set a schedule my Christmas lights to go on and off at specified times?

I am eying the IKEA Trådfri plug ($9.95, not yet HomeKit-compatible), which requires the Trådfri gateway ($29.99). The latter now is HomeKit-compatible, and I have found instructions for getting older ones to play nice with HomeKit.

2. mritech macrumors regular

You can makes automation schedules in HomeKit but even without you can use the dedicated apps for the manufacturer of the product

3. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

I suggest a Wemo Smart Plug instead, this will work perfect for what you want it to do. They are HomeKit compatible and you do not need any extra equipment to get it to work.

4. DominikHoffmann thread starter macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

I am in the market for at least seven smart plugs. That would be $175, if I got the Wemo Smart Plug, but only $100 if I got Trådfri plugs and a gateway.

5. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000