Can I sell it?

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I bought ONE extra iPhone X to help pay for mine. So, don't flame me, it's just one phone and I hope it will help me pay for that expensive new phone.

I bought it through my AT&T account. Of course, they insist that it be assigned a phone number from my account. So, my question is; if the phone coming is already assigned a phone number, is ok to sell that way or do I need to somehow wipe that off my phone before I sell it? I am paying full price for the phone (not payments) is it unlocked? If not can I get it unlocked?

Thanks for the help. I know that buying excess product of something that is scarce is generally frowned upon by many, but, as I said, it's just one and I needed a little help paying for my phone.

Jumpie

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
If you paid full price, it's unlocked. Just make sure you take the sim out before you sell it so it's not activated

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
All phones from AT&T are locked! Full price or not. You can however request an unlock. No doubt you will owe an upgrade fee, and maybe a months use for the line as it is associated with your account. You could have just bought the T-Mobile phone from Apple and avoided all of that....

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
If you paid full price, it is unlocked when you activate the phone via iTunes.

You’ll see a screen that pops up that says something like “Thank you for activating. Your phone is now unlocked”

Once you activate it, I would do a complete reset to be safe and then take out the SIM card. The buyer would need a SIM card, but the phone remains unlocked.

Nothing wrong with subsidizing your purchase. If someone is willing to pay you more for it, that is between you and them. Welcome to capitalism and screw the haters.

Sealos

Luba

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
If you paid full price, it is unlocked when you activate the phone via iTunes.

You’ll see a screen that pops up that says something like “Thank you for activating. Your phone is now unlocked”

Once you activate it, I would do a complete reset to be safe and then take out the SIM card. The buyer would need a SIM card, but the phone remains unlocked.

Nothing wrong with subsidizing your purchase. If someone is willing to pay you more for it, that is between you and them. Welcome to capitalism and screw the haters.

Sealos
So you have to activate it?? You couldn’t sell it brand-new sealed in the box?

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
All phones from AT&T are locked! Full price or not. You can however request an unlock. No doubt you will owe an upgrade fee, and maybe a months use for the line as it is associated with your account. You could have just bought the T-Mobile phone from Apple and avoided all of that....
Nonsense.

Screen-Shot-X.png

Reactions: pat500000

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
If you paid full price do the activation by connecting it to itunes. It will tell you your phone is unlocked.

If you don't see that message when you activate by connecting to itunes you can call customer service and give them a copy of your receipt showing it is paid in full. After that you will have to wipe the phone and activate it via itunes.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
This is the right answer. If you leave that SIM in and your buyer activates the phone with it will be on your account.
So he'll lost profit selling it since it is open box. He probably wanted to make a good chunk of money by selling one on eBay to help pay for the one he is keeping.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I know that this thread isn't aimed at me, but it's made me totally confused :)

Why would you open the box in the first place? If it's unlocked then surely it would activate with any SIM, so why would you "pre-activate" with your own SIM first?

Reactions: pat500000

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
I know that this thread isn't aimed at me, but it's made me totally confused :)

Why would you open the box in the first place? If it's unlocked then surely it would activate with any SIM, so why would you "pre-activate" with your own SIM first?
Because the sim that is in the phone is tied to his account. If someone turns the phone on and activates it over wireless it will activate that sim and deactivate the old sim. That is why in the US when you buy an iPhone it asks for your account info.

Take a look here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203304

Last edited:

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Because the sim that is in the phone is tied to his account. If someone turns the phone on and activates it over wireless it will activate that sim and deactivate the old sim. That is why in the US when you buy an iPhone it asks for your account info.

Take a look here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203304
Based on your link, it looks like you need the zip code and last 4 digits of your SSN to activate the phone. The buyer will, of course, not have that information. So, would it not be safe to sell as is and let them take and have it activated with their number?

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Based on your link, it looks like you need the zip code and last 4 digits of your SSN to activate the phone. The buyer will, of course, not have that information. So, would it not be safe to sell as is and let them take and have it activated with their number?
This was my thinking. They could figure out your zip, but no way they'll have the last 4 from your social. And if they are that sophisticated, then they probably aren't the same person looking to drop the extra premium for an after-market launch day iPhone X. And so, then for what? A couple of days of free cellular access while you get it sorted out with your provider.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
When you sell it, make the person open the phone in front of you and take the SIM out. They are probably going to want to do that anyways.

With that said, the demand was not as strong as we were expecting. I don’t think the second hand market will be that strong. People can still line up next Friday if they missed preorders.
[doublepost=1509225336][/doublepost]
Do you mean there's a SIM already installed in the shrinkwrapped phone? Weird.
They all come with a SIM, unless you buy SIM free

Reactions: praterkeith

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
They all come with a SIM, unless you buy SIM free
Interesting. Over here they never have a SIM in the box; I suppose the assumption is that everyone already has one. If you open a new account then you receive two separate items: An iPhone (with no SIM) and a SIM pack.

Well, I've learned something! :)

frumpy16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2008
"Unlocked" doesn't mean that ATT will not block the IMEI if you don't activate it on their network. They have the IMEI and are expecting you to activate it on their network (remember when you put in your account info during the buying process...)? If everything was just unlocked and free of restrictions, Apple wouldn't put themselves through the extra complexity involved with selling different carrier versions. They would sell CDMA and GSM and all would be unlocked. This is, obviously, not the case and they will subsequently sell an actually unlocked version.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
"Unlocked" doesn't mean that ATT will not block the IMEI if you don't activate it on their network. They have the IMEI and are expecting you to activate it on their network (remember when you put in your account info during the buying process...)? If everything was just unlocked and free of restrictions, Apple wouldn't put themselves through the extra complexity involved with selling different carrier versions. They would sell CDMA and GSM and all would be unlocked. This is, obviously, not the case and they will subsequently sell an actually unlocked version.
If you buy the phone for full price, they legally have to unlock it.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
In the real world, Apple’s website says:

• Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com are “unlocked” — which means your iPhone isn’t tied to a single carrier. Your iPhone will only be tied to your carrier if you choose carrier financing from AT&T or Sprint.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Actually, I believe Givmeabrek meant that any iPhones purchased at AT&T websites or AT&T Store are locked even if purchased at full price. This is true and I believe that there is a 60 day wait period before you can request a unlock? I'm not on AT&T anymore so I wouldn't know how that works.

But yes, AT&T model purchased full price or on iUP on Apple.com or purchased in Apple store at full price are unlocked.

Reactions: Statusnone88