Can I sell my 3g iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyfoil, Jul 12, 2008.

1. billyfoil macrumors member

I have 2 phones on my account and upgraded to 2 iphone 3g's ..... But my wife said she just wants to keep the old iphone. So can I remove the sim that came with it and sell it? Im not sure if I can or not? The 2 year contract thing?

Please anything will help!

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

So I think this is the answer: You committed yourself to two years with ATT by buying the phone at the subsidized price. What you do with the phone itself is up to you, but you can't cancel your contract (without the ETF). You also can't get another phone at the subsidized rate, but you said you'd be putting back the old iphone. Try putting the new SIM in the old phone and syncing it up; it should work. You should be able to sell the new phone, since ATT already has your money for 24 mos...

3. scorpio07 macrumors newbie

4. billyfoil thread starter macrumors member

Well I have a 16g White......... I just checked and one is about to end around $600 So maybe 700

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You're going to sell a locked phone for $700? Even though some other scrub sold their's for $600, you're going to go $100 higher?

No, you cannot sell it. I would return it and pay the 10% restocking fee, because ATM you cannot unlike the phone, and if you put in a different SIM card, it won't magically work.

6. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

The new firmware has already been jailbroken...don't return the iphone and don't sell it for anywhere around $600. Actually put it on Ebay and watch the price soar. You'll probably get $1000+

7. scorpio07 macrumors newbie

8. scorpio07 macrumors newbie

Why would anybody pay $1000 for a phone you will be able to get for $599 with no contract in the future.

9. harodude macrumors regular

It is perfectly fine selling that new iphone.

Make yourself a little bit of money I guess, as these newer phones are so high in demand and low in supply"wait times/shipping times"

When you put that Sim from the new iPhone into the old iPhone, it should work right away. Otherwise, it will make you sign another 2 yr. agreement with a data/txt plan anyways THROUGH ITUNES.

You will be much better off selling now with no repercussions.

Good luck!

10. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

You have the answer "future". We don't have an exact date, and some people want it now.

11. billyfoil thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man!! Thats what I thought... Right now here is how the phone looks!!

Attached Files:

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, but we don't have it quite yet.

Also, how are you going to change your data plan? And no, don't reply saying you can't remove it. You're in a contract and your going to have to stay in the contract for 2 years paying for the iPhone over time, unless you pay the $175 early termination fee.

It's going to be a lot harder than it looks.

13. maceleven macrumors 6502

3 days to return iphone At&t policy

no charge just restocking fee :) you can cancel your service within 72 hours

14. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

I have read of people just walking out and canceling their data plan. And why would you need to cancel the data? His wife is still using her old iphone which could use the data.

15. billyfoil thread starter macrumors member

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

If it were a black one, I would think $150 would be the most you could get for it.

Since it is white, I think you can get $2500-$3000 easily.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yep I think this is what Im going to do too when I get my white one. I liked it when I saw it tonight but it didnt impress me enough to want to exchange my 2G phone for it. In fact, I am thinking about dropping Att all together after the month is over.

18. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Hahahahahahaha. "easily" nonetheless!

Wow.

19. netslacker macrumors 6502

Just a heads up, your sunk costs are higher than you think.

Two words: Data plan...

You'll be paying the higher rate on the data plan for the duration since you signed a new 2 year contract for the 3G iphone. If you have text messaging w/ the new contract then that is 15.00/mo HIGHER than the 2G iPhone. You'll be locked into this for 2 years. So your base price on this phone is 299+360=660 (assuming you have 16gb) - not including sales tax and what not. After taxes and increased monthly fees over 2 years you are probably in to it for 700 easily.

Is that worth it?? You better add a reserve to that there auction...

20. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

$600 is a bargain in England! iPhone 3G is selling on eBay for around £800 in some cases, which is about $1600. I would happily pay you $600!

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Why would anyone pay $1200 for a $249 Nintendo Wii when it first came out? Or $2000 for a Sony PS3 when it first came out?

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to to try and get a bargain!
    If you go with the cheapest O2 plan a 16GB phone will cost you £159 and then 18 * £30.00, making a total cost of £699.00. Even if you still unlock it and use with an existing SIM, £699 + your existing contract costs is a lot less than the £1200 + existing contract cost for some of those phones on eBay. Plus, O2 will effectively give you an interest free loan for £450 of the total cost ;)

OK, so stocks are short at some locations at the moment, but Apple Stores have plenty of stock and O2 and Carphone Warehouse are getting new ones in all the time

23. scorpio07 macrumors newbie

Why did you cancel your listing? Just curious....

24. billyfoil thread starter macrumors member

Crazy!! Ill put it back up!! They canceled it because no ID in pictures all the phones I see on ebay have no ID name!! LOL OHH WELL Ill give you guys the link when I put it back!:)

Thanks for all the support :apple:

25. billyfoil thread starter macrumors member