Can I set AEBS on N and AE on G?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nineohtoo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

So I've recently setup my AEBS(non dual) for N only and network utility shows it's about twice as fast(I haven't really done any tests or know how though). However now my iPhone can't access it. Now I've got a AE that I use strictly for wireless audio(I live in a one bedroom setup so no need to extend), is there a way to set that up as a G network somehow for my iPhone, and in case friends come by with non N laptops? If it helps any, the AEBS is not that far from the AE if wiring is an option.

Right now I have AEBS+MiniStack(hdd)+printer, and AE+iPod HiFi. I'd like my MacBook to be able to run off the AEBS and access my ministack, but at the same time transmit audio to my HiFi. Then I'd like my iPhone and older laptops to access my AE. I don't mind a mess of wires on the other side of my room, I just don't want anything with me on the couch but the power cord.

If not, should I just stick to N and use the 3G at home, or should I dumb down the network so everyone can play?

Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's basically what I have setup here. I have an AEBS "n" and a AEBS "g" (the last of the round ones) both as access points. I use the "n" for the MBP, MBA, and :apple:tv. The "g" is used for our iPhones, and if someone needs "g".

The "g" is hardwired to the hub on the "n", then setup in bridge mode. You should be able to do the same with the AE. It sounds like you're running the AEBS in 5GHz mode, so interference shouldn't be an issue.

3. nineohtoo thread starter macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Thanks for the quick reply. Gonna give that a shot right now once I find an extra ethernet cable in my closet.

4. nineohtoo thread starter macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Great. I plugged in an ethernet cable and it killed my airtunes, and now airport utility doesn't see either my AEBS or AE, but I'm still able to use the web and access my network drive :\

EDIT: I reset both AEBS and AE got em to show up in airport utility after redoing everything from scratch. Now I'm only transmitting at 130 again as opposed to 270 :\ So now I'm back to where I was yesterday before I put the AEBS on N, but with a cable between my AEBS and AE. Any suggestions guys?

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

A little more detail about how you set this up in Airport Utility will help. The second router has to have all router functions turned off to be in Bridge mode. I don't have an Airportxx, but the way you used to do that was turn off "Distribute IP addresses" in Airport Utility.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. I assumed the OP was using the AEBS as the router and the AE would be in bridge mode. The AE needs to be set up as an access point, then turn off DHCP (don't distribute addresses).

This should be the setup for the AE: In Airport Utility, double-click on the device to bring up the manual setup.
    • Under "Airport" > Wireless, set Wireless Mode to "Create a wireless network". Setup your "g" network as you like.
    • Now, go to "Internet". Set it to "Connect using Ethernet", Configure IPv4 "Using DHCP".
    • At the bottom, set Connection Sharing to "Off (Bridge Mode)".

There should be a tab for "AirTunes", where it can be setup as it was before the reset.

The AEBS should be setup OK, except it needs to be set it to "n" only, 5GHz, and check the Wireless Options "Use Wide Channels" ("on"). Again, I'm assuming the default use of the AEBS as a router.

Hope that sorts things out.

7. nineohtoo thread starter macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

^Yup when I went to change the settings those were already there. I must be doing something wrong somewhere since the AEBS says its on 5ghz N, and AE says its on n b/g compatible.