Can I Still Get Unlimited Data by Activating iPhone 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kickskid21, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kickskid21 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I really want to switch to AT&T to get the iPhone 4, but I just can't bring myself to do it with either of the tiered data plans. I've been reading that if you sign up for AT&T and activate your SIM card through iTunes, it requires you to pick the unlimited data plan for the 2G. If I did this today, would I be able to have the unlimited data for the iPhone 4 or will they force the new plans since I only signed up a week ago?

2. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. CaliKev macrumors member

CaliKev

From what I believe I read they stated that they were nixing the unlimited data plan for 3G+ on the day of the Iphone 4 was to be debuted. Anyone who had it would be grandfathered in. Anyone who was to get an iPhone 3G+ from that day forward would not qualify for the Unlimited data plan.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 2G plans are only for the first iPhone. U cannot use that plan for the 3G, 3GS or iPhone 4 models. And now u can only pick the $15 and $25 data plans.

5. violaguy5 macrumors member

although you may be right about not being able to grandfather in anymore, I was able to with my iPhone 4 preorder from a iPhone 2G on the 15th

6. auero macrumors 65816

It has nothing to do with the phone. You had to be a customer with a data plan before the date to keep it. Do you honestly need more than 2GB?

7. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

This. The unlimited plan, and I'm trying to speak for the average consumer, is overkill; sure, it's nice to know that you won't get dinged for going over, but the average consumer typically doesn't use more than 2GB per month. Then again, you might be someone that manages to squeeze out more than 2GB in a billing period.

Regardless, and sorry to say, you're SOL.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Before June 7 I believe.
    Now that option is not available and only can be kept if u had it already on your account.

9. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use way more than 2GB/month, just to say. I know that I can no longer sign up for the unlimited plan, but what will happen if I activate the 2G now (which requires the unlimited when activating) and then go to upgrade to the iPhone 4?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It won't make any difference. When u order it will still make u pick either the $15 or $25 plan.

11. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why? AT&T stated that customers upgrading from the 2G would be able to keep their unlimited data plan even though it isn't the same price.

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I know of a few individuals who had no or other data plans who activated their number on an iPhone 2G days after June 7 and were able to get the $20 iPhone 2G unlimited data plan. When they went to do the preordering for the iPhone 4 on the 15th, the $30 iPhone 3G unlimited data plan was available as a choice to them.

13. rritterson macrumors 6502

today, no. In 5 years when we are on LTE? Perhaps. Do you trust AT&T to raise the data caps as fast as data usage increases? I don't, so even though I'm only using 400MB a month, I'll keep my unlimited plan for as long as I possibly can. (Don't travel rurally enough to need tethering)

edit: Look how text message usage/cost/plans went, historically, for an example of what I think will happen.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

In next iphone, AT&T will probably force users to change these tiered pricing plans.

15. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on doing what BeyondTheTech said, activating the 2G to get the unlimited and then upgrading to the iPhone 4 so I can keep the unlimited. Does anybody else have any input on this?

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes you can. Simply restore the iphone so that it is new and then insert a brand new sim into the phone. Connect to iTunes and it will prompt you to activate your "NEW" phone.

AT&T is still offering the unlimited data plan for this phone only on new activations. There is no choice for the 2GB or 200MB plan for this phone so the only plan available is unlimited.

YES, contrary to other replies in this thread, YOU can and WILL get unlimited data by activating a 2G iPhone TODAY in itunes.

The June 7th deadline doesn't apply to the 2G iPhone.

17. Sinfire macrumors regular

Are these people that use more than 2GB a month not have their wifi turned on ?

18. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, great. Also, I will still be able to keep the unlimited data when I upgrade to the iPhone 4, right?

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes.

20. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how much the prices will be for each iPhone? I already have the iPhone 2G, so I would be signing up with my own phone.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

To activate that 2G today with unlimited data + 200 SMS and a 450 plan, the total cost is about $73. I activated a 2G iPhone over the weekend and this is what my monthly price will be about. Plus, you are automatically upgrade eligible on each account.

22. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so the prices for the iPhone 4 will be $199 and $299? And I'll be able to upgrade the day they come out without any complications or extra fees?

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No other fees other than the standard $18 iPhone upgrade fee. The phone will cost $199/$299.

Your 2G unlimited data plan will carry over to the iPhone 4 with no problems.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to make it to AT&T to get a new sim so you can activate the 2G phone tonight.

Let me know how it goes, I've helped three other people get their 2Gs activated in the last week via these forums.

24. kickskid21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks so much. If something were to go wrong with this and I can't keep the unlimited data or something like that, how would I go about canceling the service/how much will it cost to do so?