Can I take 2011 model and put in 2010 case?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by LeandrodaFL, Dec 28, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

This is crazy, but I happen to like the optical drive. And I feel confident at disassembling/assebling things.

So, can I take the 2011 model, and put in the 2010 case? Are the screws compatible? I would then take the optical drive and conect to the second sata port.

2. Heateris macrumors member

Might be easier to just buy the Apple Super Drive. Also, don't forget that Lion has the drive sharing feature.

Anyway, keep us updatedi if you try this mod, it sounds like a cool project.

3. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I know, but I simply like the internal superdrive, I may do it with Ivy Bridge MacMini when they get released.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

5. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Someone had one they built on eBay recently, with added specs asking $1500 or so. You lose the warranty.

6. elektrobug macrumors member

I know for a fact the 2.5 motherboard will not fit in a 2010 chasis with the optical drive. Tried it personally. There is not enough clearance for some of the capacitors on the motherboard, they will not clear the optical drive. Prehaps the server or the 2.3 model motherboard will work as its a different configuration without the dedicated video card.

After trying the above, just got an external Apple Superdrive instead.